“Loving fire island” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ocean Beach
Roslyn
“Loving fire island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

How can we complain about three days in fire island at clegg's hotel? I purchased my first groupon, although it was difficult getting through, Steve the gentlemen who answered the phone was efficient and courteous. The accommodations were basic but very clean. Breakfast was a bonus with fresh bagels and coffee. Dont be scared of the shared bathrooms they are always clean and a great way of making friends. Lol .We will definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jackie P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I bought the Groupon deal last Thursday, booked the room Friday for this coming up Monday the 13th. My husband couldnt get off from work so I called to reschedule. Steven said that Im not allowed to rebook a room, that the reason they take the credit cards is for cancellations that are complete within 10 days of the reservation? 10 days? I booked the room yesterday! After his rant, he proceeded to say 'I'll only do this once, next time I have to charge you. We dont accomadate people who dont call before the 10 days..." I started to speak going on about the fact I only booked the room yesterday... before I knew it I was talking on a dead line. Steven hung up on me. I tried calling back twice the answer machine would pick up and hang up... really? I canceled the Groupon deal, got my money back and I will be doing the same if they try to charge my AMEX.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank WorldTravler3

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Beach hotels

Islip Terrace, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Great place right in the heart of Ocean Beach. Right next to the docks and in the midst of all the shops, restaurants, etc. We had a lovely, tidy room that shared a common bathroom with other guests. It was clean and well maintained. The staff was courteous and helpful. The hotel manager, Steve, greeted us and was very nice and accommodating. The place has bikes guests can use and beach chairs. They also have complimentary lemon water and fruit throughout the day and in the morning they provide bagels and pastries for breakfast. Overall the stay was enjoyable and I would certainly go back

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DRL101
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed here for four nights. Staff very friendly and helpful. I was in a suite which had its own bathroom, sofa, table and chair together with all kitchen amenities. The hotel is clean but needs modernising and a lick of paint. The Island is beautiful and tranquil just what vacations are made for, apart from weekends when it gets busy and becomes a party island. I'd stay again and deffo recommend to others.

Room Tip: The room we had was good as we had fridge, kitchen and sofa. :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank NottinghamJoanne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

The room was very small, the beds extremely basic and the sheets were cheap. The aircon worked sporadically and when it did it was mediocre at best. There was a light in one half of the room which might aswell not have been there as a badly chosen shade hung off it barely giving any light. The room was old and there was a strange smell. The towels were too small and not replaced. There was no amenities provided, not even a hairdryer or an iron. It advertised that there was hbo, however there wasnt even a tv and they had the nerve to leave an envelope requesting tips for housekeeping which shows immediately the class of the place. There was a communal bathroom to be shared by ten rooms I wouldnt have had a problem with that had I not paid 800 dollars for the room!!!! The management were extremely unproffesional and seemed to have no qualms about reneging on their responsibilites to provide a service and were extremely negligent in answering questions. All in all this place was a nightmare, I wouldnt let a dog sleep there. The owners should be ashamed of themselves, shameless and moneygrabbing with no pride in their establishment whatsover.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank fenagh
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Convenient and comfortable, this no-frills, no non-sense bed and breakfast is located literally in the heart of Ocean Beach.

2 meters from the ferry and 2 blocks from the beach.
Bikes, bagels, and beach chairs all provided -- what else do you need?
Bars, restaurants, markets, tennis all steps away!

If you're looking for 5 star spa accommodations, skip Fire Island -- that's not what this beach bungalow town is about. But if you want to kick back for a low-key weekend at the beach, the Clegg is right up your alley!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank happymike11222
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was hesistant to book this hotel after reading the reviews, but they gave a discounted rate ($125/night standard room or $195/night suite) so we decided to go for it. We arrived to Clegg's early and the room wasn't ready, but the manager was very nice and held our bags for us. He gave us suggestions for good places to eat lunch, and said he would call when the room was ready. We had originally booked a standard room with shared bathrooms for our one-night stay; however, a suite became available and we upgraded to that. When I first saw the room, I was actually surprised because it was pretty large (Suite "A"). It had two wicker chairs, a clean/comfy couch, an outdated small kitchen with a full size refridgerator, and a basket with travel-size shampoo/conditioner/body wash was included (nice b/c I didn't bring my full-size bottles). NO TV!! I checked the bed, and the linens smelled fresh and were clean. The bathroom was also very clean, although old and the shower stall definitely showed signs of needing to be replaced. The air conditioning was awesome, and cooled the room nicely. My main problem with the room was the very old indoor/outdoor carpeting. I could tell it was vacuumed, but it was so old and seemed dirty, so I wore my flip-flops almost the whole time I was in the room. The bed was only a full-size, and again old, but my husband and I didn't think it was uncomfortable. I should also add that the "included bicycles" also need to be replaced. To sum up, this was not the worst place to stay, but it's definitely not the nicest. If the owner would put in new flooring/carpeting, new & larger beds, fresh paint, and update the bathrooms, it would be great. Until then, I would recommend this hotel for very short stays only (1-2 nights max) and ONLY if you get a good rate.

Room Tip: I didn't see the standard rooms, but it's worth it to book a suite with your own bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Ramada Plaza Holtsville Long Island
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to Clegg's Hotel? Share your experiences!