“Good but not exceptional...”

Alains French Bistro
Ranked #12 of 78 Restaurants in Nyack
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New City, NY
“Good but not exceptional...”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Ate at Alain's on a recent Saturday night. We do not mind paying for a good meal, but it seemed a bit expensive for what it was, compared to similar restaurants in the area. It was fine, but not exceptional. (no "wow" factor) I like to feel that I am eating something that is worth leaving the house for.

We'll probably give them another try. To be fair, I don't know if it was the fault of the busy Saturday or of the recipes. I was intrigued by the menu which had some atypical and interesting choices like wild boar, sweet breads, sauerkraut etc

Even though nicely presented, some of the food was bland, like my Tarte a l'Oignon (serve with a small salad). My husband enjoyed his escargots (not garlicky enough for me) and Cassoulet.

The duck was fine, but the accompanying cute little balls of carrots were rubbery, which is unforgivable. The bread was good but the butter was excellent! We both had a glass of the Cotes du Rhone which was very good.

The Macaron Martini (they spelled it macaroon) was essentially cookies and ice cream, even though that is not necessarily a bad thing. My husband had the sorbet which was served with some fresh fruit. So if one would like something sweet and not too rich, that is a good choice.

The location could be off-putting to some, but in LA it would be totally normal for a restaurant to be in a strip mall! And actually, on the positive side, there is plenty of easy parking as opposed to being in town (Nyack)

Once you're inside it's a pleasant atmosphere. Our reservations were for 7pm which I thought would be unfashionably early but the restaurant was almost filled. It was very lively and we were able to watch all the activity from our table which was facing the bar and entry. At first I wasn't that pleased with the table location, but it turned out to be entertaining. The chef/owner, Alain is personable and bustles around making sure everyone feels welcome.. which is very smart of him.

It might not have been intentional, but probably because of them being so busy, we enjoyed a very leisurely, civilized evening and did not feel rushed.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank salnanart

Westchester, NY
“Tres bon”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

A perfect spot for a cold evening. Usually I like to frequent the Nyack restaurants closer to the river, but this was perfect on a late fall night, though the setting next to a laundromat may be off putting for some. We ate there during Hidson Valley Restauarent Week and had a great meal. Alain came by each table and greeted his guests. The food was excellent and the staff very nice and efficient. I will go back soon.

New York
“nothing but superlatives”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Completely satisfactory. Meal was very nicely presented. Staff was professional. Alain was very accommodating with moving our choice of tables. The restaurant is very homey and warm. Noise level was boisterous but tolerable. Seems that this will be the "go to" place in Rockland

Orangeburg, New York
“One of the best restaurants in Rockland!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just dined here as part of Restaurant week and definitely will be back! Great Service, I ordered the goat cheese salad and the Arctic Char. Absolutely divine. Alain went out of his way to make us feel welcome. This restaurant is truly a hidden gem. Enjoy if you decide to go! I highly recommend and will be back.

New York City, New York
“Diner with the family”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The best french food in the Hudson valley Why bother going to ny city. We will be back
Alain is the greatest His staf very professional