“Quite Disappointed: Overpriced in Nyack”

Alains French Bistro
Ranked #11 of 81 Restaurants in Nyack
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had read a number of positive reviews for this establishment and were looking forward with great anticipation to our dinner. We arrived on a Thursday night at 7:30 and the restaurant was almost empty. We were seated at a table for 6 although we were only four but so be it. One of our dinner companions ordered a martini which looked tempting but the bill for that drink alone with tip and tax came to almost $20. My wife and I ordered a moderately priced bottle of white wine for $32. I started off with onion soup which was just passable, nothing special. My second course was mussels in white wine sauce with sausage. This dish was truly inedible: the mussels were not moist, the sauce had no taste and the sausage was bland. There was insufficient sauce in the bowel into which to dip the accompanying French bread. One of our companions ordered another version of mussels in a heavy thick cream sauce. From my observation she left half of the portion uneaten. One positive note was that the French fries that came with the mussel dishes were very good but too salty. My wife ordered steak frites which was cooked properly and tasted good. During our dinner Alain came over to our table introduced himself and inquired as to why I hadn't finished my mussels. I found his inquiry to be very awkward and responded "but look I ate all my French fries". I also found that for what we all ordered the tab was pretty expensive: totaling $240 for the four of us.

2  Thank Quest2Go

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Had dinner here with my husband yesterday. We received warm and friendly welcome at the door, which set up the mood for the whole evening. The food was delicious. We had mango soup of the day (fantastic) and French onion soup (very good). For the main course we had Hunger Steak and Free Range chicken. Both of them simply delicious. The service was impeccable: polite, accommodating, very attentive but not overbearing. Stylish decor, quite and upscale atmosphere. Perfect place for romantic dinner!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We met friends in NyackNY for dinner and they chose Alains French Bistro. We were greeted at the door by the owner who gave us a warm and hearty welcome. The attentive young waiter came over shortly with menus and after taking our drink orders he proceeded to tell us of the specials for that evening. It was difficult making decisions because so
many of my favorite dishes were listed The mussells for appetizer was a delicious choice followed by duck confit cooked to perfection.Their special dessert for that evening was a creme caramel which was terrific. An unexpected treat in a restaurant that I fully expect to rerun to

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Enjoyed dinner here. Very quaint decor and setting, everyone was very friendly. Food was delicious and satisfies the foodie in me! Definitely recommend!!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I recently ate here for a birthday celebration dinner. Its rare that I generally eat an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert but did so since the food was very good. My softshell crab entree was wonderful and the macarons that I had for dessert made me think of Paris. I attended culinary school in Paris in the past so I can say this is the real thing. The chef is very charming.