“Lovely atmosphere in a hard to find location”

Alains French Bistro
Ranked #11 of 81 Restaurants in Nyack
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Once we found this restaurant it was warm and welcoming. I would have preferred some French music rather than the modern day soundtrack, but the menu was very nice. Service was slow and the prices seemed high for the value. While it was very good, it was not the greatest French restaurant that I have experienced. If the prices were not so high, I would go back more often.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

On Valentine's Night, we were the first people seated in this restaurant and after 1 1/2 hr, we had not received our appetizers although everyone else who arrived after us were on their entrees. The couples sitting next to our table all felt so sorry for us, they offered to share their food. Finally after attempts to get our waiter to get our food, we asked for the owner. We were not loud, drunk, or using bad language and expected the the owner to apologize and try to make the situation better. But instead the owner's response was to tell us to leave his restaurant! He kicked us out of his place in the most ugly manner escorting us to the door! We were shocked by this owner's incredibly disgusting response asking us to "just get out" to our request for our food on what was to be a special night.If you want horrendous service and an angry rude restaurant owner who kicks you out of his place then enjoy being abused. We eat out locally, in NYC and all over the world frequently and have never experienced anything like this. We would tell anyone we know to never, ever go to this place.

5  Thank MJF_11
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Was absolutely in love with the place the moment you walk in, the hostess greeted us very warmly and sat us right away. The food and the atmosphere were amazing and the service was also...I mean where else do you see the head chef/owner walking around to every table making sure people are happy and even taking the time to fill your water glass! As you leave he personally thanks you with a handshake(guys) or a kiss on the hand(ladies). Highly recommend this place, we're going back for restaurant week:)

Reviewed January 29, 2012

The real deal for amateurs of French cuisine who are looking to avoid the stuffiness of traditional higher-end French restaurants. In this quaint and warm restaurant, chef Alain's menu boasts many of the French culinary staples that one growing up in France cherishes. Alain stays true to classic French flavors by following traditional preparation methods and by using fresh and high-quality ingredients. A secret gem only known by locals which is bound to become a success! Reservation recommended on week-end as the place was bustling with activity.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

The first time I went here I said it was my new "happy place" where I could be sure to come and find good company, enjoy excellent food and wine and be be treated with such attentiveness. For me one mark of a good restaurant that I will go back to is if I feel comfortable and if I can relax and truly enjoy myself. Alaines surpasses these expectations.

Our favorite dish is the mussels for an appetizer (we order a different style every time). Once the mussels are finished, the delicious bread is perfect for dipping in the leftover sauce in the bowl. I order a particular wine from Provence (sorry I forget the name) that goes well with everything I've had there. The meals are adventurous for me but I trust the chefs preparation and have never been disappointed there.

What has clinched the service for me is our most recent trip there I proposed to my fiancée. When I told Alaine ahead of time what I was going to do he spared no expense making sure we celebrated our engagement in traditional French. He even brought his entire staff out to the parking lot immediately after I proposed along with a bottle of champagne to celebrate the occasion.

Bottom line, As long as we live in this area Alaines will be one of our go to night out locations!

1  Thank Meherand