“Do not come here.”

O'Donoghue's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
O'Donoghue's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 79 Restaurants in Nyack
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Do not come here.”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My friend and I decided to stop in O'Donoghue's Tavern during our St. Patrick's Day celebrations, as we had just moved to Nyack, and had been thoroughly enjoying some of the nightlife the town has to offer. We thought an Irish bar seemed like the perfect atmosphere in which to experience St. Patrick's Day. However, we quickly discovered that O'Donoghue's Tavern isn't your average Irish bar.

I soon found out that my choice of alcoholic beverage - the classic Irish Car Bomb, considered by many to be the quintessential St. Patrick’s Day cocktail - just simply wasn’t compatible with the elegantly high-class standards one must adhere to in this rundown plywood shack. An old man with long white hair who was standing behind the bar (I hesitate to refer to him as a “bartender,” because that would imply that he did his job of properly tending the bar) boorishly informed me that I wouldn't be served any kind of "crazy alcoholic drink," because he'd have to “spend the whole day cleaning up my puke from the bathroom." I was a bit taken aback by this, especially since I monitor my consumption of alcohol responsibly, and was by no means close to being wasted;

my friend who had accompanied me was also clearly close to being completely sober. I also didn’t quite understand how it would take “all day” to flush a toilet that had vomit in it, or why this wasn’t a task I would be capable of undertaking myself.
My friend promised the old man (who turned out to be the owner) that we weren't going to get sick all over his bar, or start randomly smashing his bottles to bits and pieces in a belligerent rampage somehow fueled by a single Irish Car Bomb. He responded by stating that she did not look like a trustworthy person, and that her promise meant absolutely nothing to him. It’s a sheer delight to be in the presence of such a warm and welcoming host, who is refreshingly honest about his complete lack of faith in humanity.

If you’re just looking for a place where you can drink and have a good time, I would suggest you instead visit one of Nyack’s many other wonderful bars. However, if you’re looking for a place where you can be insulted and deemed an “alcoholic” because you had the audacity to order a popular cocktail, or a place where every time you want to order another round, you’ll have to successfully assure the comically emetophobic owner that you will remain sober enough to manage to avoid coating the entire surface area of his establishment in a thick sheen of vomit, or if you simply want to experience the almost paradoxical phenomenon of the only Irish bar in the world where it is considered inappropriate to be drunk on St. Patrick’s Day, then look no further than O'Donoghue's Tavern.

Upper Nyack, NY
“Good Pub Food”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Good grub and a nice selection of beer. Don't order a salad unless you want something that is wet, tasteless and totally uninspired. But then again, why on earth would you order a salad at an Irish-themed pub?

Get a burger and a beer (forget the fries, really) or a daily special and just enjoy it for what it is. Not great, not bad, but with a few beers and some good company and maybe even some live music, you won't be disappointed.

Visited November 2012
Bellevue, WA
“Best veggie burger in the world”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've been dining at OD's for over a decade. This pub is a home-away-from-home; very comfy and laid back. I get the veggie burger every time; it never gets old. The burger itself is a house-made, vegan, lentil patty, but I get it topped with cheddar cheese, and it comes on a quality ciabatta roll. If you're vegan, ask them to leave the macaroni salad off, that they typically put on the side of the plate. Unfortunately the fries here aren't crispy enough for me, but the veggie burger is filling enough on its own. OD's also has an excellent dessert selection. If you're looking for a quiet, cozy, community pub, this is as good as it gets.

• Visited December 2012
Nyack, New York
“Nyack's Hidden Gem”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The homemade corned beef is to die for. Deserts are all also homemade and amazing. Don't miss on this hidden gem.

Visited December 2012
Nyack, New York
“O'D's”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Our very own Cheers in Nyack. The food is great and while one might expect good pub food, they also have quite an eclectic menu.

Visited August 2012

Been to O'Donoghue's Tavern? Share your experiences!