See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 15, 2010

We were traveling with our teenage daughter going on college tours throughout the weekend. (October 8-10, 2010)

I'll start with the customer service. The front desk staff was absolutely excellent!!! They were always polite, accomodating, and fast.

We booked a room with a king size bed, sleeper sofa, fridge, and microwave. The king size bed was excellent. It was in good condition and perfect for a good night's rest. The sleeper sofa on the itherhand was horrible. Our daughter could feel the springs and she woke up with a sore back. We wound up getting her a rollaway cot for the 2nd night (for an additional $10/night). The cot was perfect. It was a real mattress in good condition. I suggest skipping the sleeper sofa option. I do feel that it should have been complimentary since the sleeper sofa was not a real option. But I didn't make a fuss actually. The fridge and microwave have seen better days but they were clean and still worked just fine. The bathroom was clean and we were provided with enough towels for 3 people. The water pressure was nice and strong and the shower head changes modes. The tub was designed to be a jacuzzi but it looks a bit worn out. Fine for a shower but not for a bath.

Security did not seem to be an issue. It is a quiet kind of town with many conveniences are located near the hotel ie; YMCA across the street, Rite Aid, Denny's next door. If you show your room key you can get a 10% discount on your meal.

Sidenote: We left an imporrtant bag behind in our room. When we called they expressed an interest and concern over our package and searched for it. They placed it in a safe location until we could get back to retrieve it. It was greatly appreciated.

Not the most updated place I've stayed in but it seems that they are making changes slowly but surely. However, because of the great service I would return to this hotel if I'm ever in the area again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel on and off over the years when fate has taken me to this area of upstate NY, and I have to say they have greatly improved over the last year or so. They seem to have upgraded the beds, and bedding, and the bathroom -- at least in out room -- was spotless. Granted, they could use a decorator and newer, spiffier furniture, but as the other reviewer said, you won't get better than this in Norwich. It's right in town and in convenient walking distance to restaurants and stores. Frankly, the rooms I've had at the nearby (and tonier) Colgate Inn, in Hamilton, seemed far dirtier, and half the size. Also, HoJo's now has a brand new Denny's (open 24 hours) on premises, which is very handy.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2010

We were in town for the Blues Festival, and this was our second time staying in this hotel. Our room was clean and the staff was pleasant. Yes, it is an old hotel, but everything in the room worked and it is the best hotel you are going to get in Norwich. (Stayed at the Norwich Inn last year and that was scarey, dirty and run-down.) I have never written a TripAdvisor review before, but had to comment after reading the negative reviews of the HoJos. The Blues festival touring artists are put up at this hotel, and the organizers would not do it if it was sub-par.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I guess you get what you pay for. $76 for one night. Our bathroom was just gross-so nasty that I wouldn't give my small kids a bath in the tub. The sink was rusty, moldy grout in and around the tub, the toilet wouldn't flush. Pillows were old and worn out. I also wonder if housekeeping has a vacuum.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We were rented a smoking room which had been billed as non-smoking. The desk staff would not move us, saying they had no other rooms. The lot was far from full and the "No Vacancy" sign was not lit. Since it was late at night on a holiday weekend, we stayed but asked again the next morning to be moved. Same response. So we asked for and were denied a refund for the next prepaid night, snce we were not going to spend another night in a reeking room. The A/C also did not work, but since we had to keep the window open all night to try to air the place out, it wasn't an issue. After refusing the refund, the manager "went home," even though I was on my cell phone calling Expedia from the lobby. The Expedia rep convinced the desk clerk to approve the refund. I heard the desk clerk ask, "even though we have forty other rooms to give him?" As we were leaving, the desk clerk said, "Sorry you're having a bad day" as she and the maintenance guy stood at the desk smirking.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple