“It's getting better!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Norwich
Boston, MA
“It's getting better!”
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel on and off over the years when fate has taken me to this area of upstate NY, and I have to say they have greatly improved over the last year or so. They seem to have upgraded the beds, and bedding, and the bathroom -- at least in out room -- was spotless. Granted, they could use a decorator and newer, spiffier furniture, but as the other reviewer said, you won't get better than this in Norwich. It's right in town and in convenient walking distance to restaurants and stores. Frankly, the rooms I've had at the nearby (and tonier) Colgate Inn, in Hamilton, seemed far dirtier, and half the size. Also, HoJo's now has a brand new Denny's (open 24 hours) on premises, which is very handy.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
new jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2010

We were in town for the Blues Festival, and this was our second time staying in this hotel. Our room was clean and the staff was pleasant. Yes, it is an old hotel, but everything in the room worked and it is the best hotel you are going to get in Norwich. (Stayed at the Norwich Inn last year and that was scarey, dirty and run-down.) I have never written a TripAdvisor review before, but had to comment after reading the negative reviews of the HoJos. The Blues festival touring artists are put up at this hotel, and the organizers would not do it if it was sub-par.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Mattituck, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I guess you get what you pay for. $76 for one night. Our bathroom was just gross-so nasty that I wouldn't give my small kids a bath in the tub. The sink was rusty, moldy grout in and around the tub, the toilet wouldn't flush. Pillows were old and worn out. I also wonder if housekeeping has a vacuum.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We were rented a smoking room which had been billed as non-smoking. The desk staff would not move us, saying they had no other rooms. The lot was far from full and the "No Vacancy" sign was not lit. Since it was late at night on a holiday weekend, we stayed but asked again the next morning to be moved. Same response. So we asked for and were denied a refund for the next prepaid night, snce we were not going to spend another night in a reeking room. The A/C also did not work, but since we had to keep the window open all night to try to air the place out, it wasn't an issue. After refusing the refund, the manager "went home," even though I was on my cell phone calling Expedia from the lobby. The Expedia rep convinced the desk clerk to approve the refund. I heard the desk clerk ask, "even though we have forty other rooms to give him?" As we were leaving, the desk clerk said, "Sorry you're having a bad day" as she and the maintenance guy stood at the desk smirking.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
dannynjean702
Reviewed November 21, 2009

my biggest suggestion to make is be sure to get a confirmation by fax or email , because they are not accomodating when they screw up the reservations, couldnt even arrange a late check out so we were without somewhere to go before we could check into the hotel we will have to stay at for our secnd night

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Worst hotel I ever been to. They qouted one price and when we checked out they raised the price by $30 per night. It rained during our stay. it wouldn't be bad, but it was raining inside! They put garbage pails to collect the water. There were bugs on the bed. The carpets smelled of mold. The a/c was broken. Registered a complaint with Better Business Bueau and Howard Johnson corporation. NEVER AGAIN>>>>>

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
CT
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I must preface this by saying that the workers at this hotel were pleasant. Unfortunately that is the only positive comment I am able to make. The room was terrible! I was supposed to have a king suite on the first floor but when I arrived I was told that there were only king suites on the 2nd floor and the first floor was full. Now why do they call this a suite I'll never know. It had a small dirty kitchen area in which none of the appliances even worked. The room smelled musty and I was forced to have the noisy antiquated air conditioner running all night just to keep the air clear of the smell. The wall paper in the bathroom was ripped and the tile was old and moldy. There was no security and as I was sitting in my car eating my bagel and tea, God forbid I eat in that awful room, I obseved all types of people entering and exiting. The bar below drew a huge crowd which made for alot of noise. The best is yet to come!! When I awoke and attempted to leave my room I discovered a man lying in the hallway directly in front of my door!! I quickly called the front desk to report the incident and the girl at the front desk came but couldn't awake the man. Why the police or emergency medical tech weren't called immediately is beyond me. Suppose the man was a guest who had had a heart attack?? Eventually the police were notified and the man was awoken and it was determined that he wasn't a guest at the hotel but he was simply drunk and had wandered in and passed out. Where is the security?? This hotel at $150.00 a night, is not inexpensive,although it should be free, in fact they should pay you for staying there!!As I write this I'm still itching and wandering what I might have picked up at this awful place!!! I suppose I should have simply left but I was committed to an activity in town and they do take your money and hand you a receipt as you arrive. I guess that's so you can't leave w/o loosing alot of money. Believe me walk out, you'll be way ahead of the game and never, never go back!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Eskielover3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hampton Inn Oneonta
#1 of 1 in Sidney
Pillow and Pantry B&B
Pillow and Pantry B&B
#1 of 2 in Sherburne

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich? Share your experiences!