“nasty looking housekeepers”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Norwich
Rome, New York, United States
“nasty looking housekeepers”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I had a house keeper that cleaned my room that had a neck of horrible hickies. She obviously just came into my room looked around and left. My sheets were not changed. and floor was not cleaned. I have been told that the appearance of the way someone loooks is the way they clean, and that was gross.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Pam S
Dana00287, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
We apologize if your stay was unsatisfactory. If I was aware of the situation during your stay I would have been more then happy to speak with you in regards to your concerns. You are more then welcome to contact me personally at any time. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mendham, New Jersey
Reviewed October 5, 2011

If you don't mind the smell of mold, a toilet that ran all night long, bugs in your drinks (because the bottle they poured it from was full of bugs), ripped wallpaper, and run down dingy rooms than this is the place for you. We stayed while visiting Colgate, I would have rather slept in my car. Were suppose to stay two nights, barely made it through one. I don't think I can ever drive down route 12 in Norwich and go past the Howard Johnson's without feeling like bugs were crawling all over me.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dana00287, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
We apologize if you were unsatified with your stay with us. We are in the process of updating the hotel, guest rooms, and hallways. We have started the renevations, but as we all know this takes some time. We hope that in the future, you will give us another chance.
Also, the issue's that you had with the restaurant on site, is a total different buisness, and we have no control over what their staff does or doesnt do. I apologize for them. i can put you in contact with their manager if you would like, please feel free to contact me personally at any time. Thank you

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Plainsboro, New Jersey
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for one night as part of a college tour. The hotel is simple and, with the exception of bed and breakfasts and the more expensive Colgate Inn, the only thing like it for about 30 miles. It's in the middle of a renovation and the signs are everywhere telling you that. Pool looked like it needed a fresh look. We didn't use it, but it looked like the surface had been patched. Furnishings a little worn, but overall a good, clean, quality hotel. Cost was under a hundred bucks, so also a good value. Bar in lobby attracts some locals. A Denny's is the restaurant. Dunkin' and other fast food places within one mile. Friendly and helpful staff. Nice people in town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JerseyTraveler4
Thank you for noticing the work that our staff is doing to update our property for our guests. I would like you to know that we have just closed our pool for a couple of weeks, and we are installing a new pool deck!!!!!!! We are very excited about the updates, and hope that you will stay with us again and enjoy the pool area. Thank you.
Indiana
Reviewed August 8, 2011

It was only because there was nothing else available and I had to be in the area for work that stayed there. The first room Had a door that wouldn't latch. When it was fixed you had to SLAM it to get it to close. When I asked to change rooms the girls at the front desk were very understanding and helpful. I moved to the room next door but that was missing furniture. When I asked to move again the girls were very polite and understanding. Moved me to a room where the air conditioner functioned but looked like it was on it's last leg. I had to check out and come back after the weekend and got a different room. This one was in the same functioning but on its last leg as the prior room.

Despite signs telling you that they are trying to be more "green" they would change out my towels no matter where I hung them and would randomly take and replace soaps and shampoo bottles. Sometimes they would replace them, sometimes they would just take them.

The rooms were all extraordinarily outdated but were generally clean. The staff was very nice and polite and helpful considering what they had to work with.

The best part was the "caution wet paint" sign near nothing that was painted.

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Staff was nice, the room was clean, great location! The beds were comfortable, I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family!

• Stayed March 2011
Jamestown, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I travel for a living and have stayed at this hotel for 10+ years when I have business in Norwich. It used to be my favorite place to stay, but about 8 years ago it started going down and it went down so far it was beyond gross. One time I checked in in January only to find no heat had been turned on in the room (staff said owner wouldn't allow it). I did turn the heat on but it was so bad that I had to retreat to the bed and pile my coat on me--didn't get warm enough to get out of bed until around 10:30 p.m. When I complained next a.m. to clerk she chuckled and said "Yeah those heaters put out about the same amount of heat as a hair dryer".

Clients in Norwich recommended Just Memories Bed and Breakfast also in Norwich. I transferred my business there and loved the place. However, I did get a little tired of having to drag my suitcases up the stairs there and having to deal with the tiny televisions (there is no real night life in Norwich, so TV is about all there is to do in the evening).

So, I decided to try this hotel again. Here's my review:

Cleanliness: Much improved. You can see an effort is being made. However, the hallways still stink so bad it is almost gag-worthy. It is a relief to escape into the room which in my case wasn't bad.

Room: On the small size compared to many hotels. Bathroom is very small, but I was put into a renovated bath room, and it really was a decent bathroom. TV is old fashioned (most chains I stay at have upgraded to wide screen, but not here). Bed was comfortable and clean. Towels were grungy and clearly had seen much use. Water in bath was plentiful and hot.

Staff: Very pleasant. However I think (after reading other reviews here) that they have a pat answer for every situation. I requested a first floor room and was told I was talking to the hotel manager and that I would most definitely get a first floor room with a renovated bath. When I arrived I was told "I don't know why she told you that because we don't have any first floor rooms available." However they did (according to them) switch another person's reservation to put me in the requested first floor room. Strangely enough, when I got up and left the next morning I discovered that almost the entire wing I was on was empty (I left late enough to see where the piles of laundry were from the cleaning staff).

Internet: HORRIBLE. Do NOT count on having working Internet if you are a business traveler as I am. I was there two nights and it was down both nights. The little clerk worked hard to get it going again and checked with me frequently to see if it was working again. She finally did get it up, but it was slow as molassas.

It is clear the owner is trying to make changes. But they are slow coming. I don't think the hotel makes enough money to make the renovations that are needed. Truly, if you need to stay in Norwich, I would recommend Just Memories B&B. It is beautiful and spotlessly clean. I may be switching back there myself. But I give this owner a decent mark for effort anyway.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,002 helpful votes
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This is a regular small town hotel. Its quite old and needs a lot of work to be done.

The price they charge is a bit exhuberant to the location but then there are hardly any other hotels around.

The rooms need a lot of cleaning and upgrading..

Would I recommend this hotel? Do I have a choice? If you go to Norwich, where else can you sleep when there are no other hotels?

PS: The new bar in the hotel (which opened 2 days ago) served us Apple juice when we ordered Jack Daniels and charged us for the same...

• Stayed February 2011
4 Thank Suryavarman
Dana00287, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Yes we may be an older hotel, but we are in the process of updating all of our guest bathrooms and bedrooms. When making any future reservations with us, please ask to be placed into one of our updated rooms. We would love for you to see the changes that we are making.
It does take time to do renovations, but we are getting there.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hampton Inn Oneonta
#1 of 2 in Sherburne
The Checkered Moose Inn
The Checkered Moose Inn
#2 of 2 in Sherburne

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich? Share your experiences!