“my dog stayed in a cleaner kennel while we were away”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed October 5, 2011

If you don't mind the smell of mold, a toilet that ran all night long, bugs in your drinks (because the bottle they poured it from was full of bugs), ripped wallpaper, and run down dingy rooms than this is the place for you. We stayed while visiting Colgate, I would have rather slept in my car. Were suppose to stay two nights, barely made it through one. I don't think I can ever drive down route 12 in Norwich and go past the Howard Johnson's without feeling like bugs were crawling all over me.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Dana00287, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

We apologize if you were unsatified with your stay with us. We are in the process of updating the hotel, guest rooms, and hallways. We have started the renevations, but as we all know this takes some time. We hope that in the future, you will give us another chance.
Also, the issue's that you had with the restaurant on site, is a total different buisness, and we have no control over what their staff does or doesnt do. I apologize for them. i can put you in contact with their manager if you would like, please feel free to contact me personally at any time. Thank you

Reviewed August 12, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for one night as part of a college tour. The hotel is simple and, with the exception of bed and breakfasts and the more expensive Colgate Inn, the only thing like it for about 30 miles. It's in the middle of a renovation and the signs are everywhere telling you that. Pool looked like it needed a fresh look. We didn't use it, but it looked like the surface had been patched. Furnishings a little worn, but overall a good, clean, quality hotel. Cost was under a hundred bucks, so also a good value. Bar in lobby attracts some locals. A Denny's is the restaurant. Dunkin' and other fast food places within one mile. Friendly and helpful staff. Nice people in town.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JerseyTraveler4

Thank you for noticing the work that our staff is doing to update our property for our guests. I would like you to know that we have just closed our pool for a couple of weeks, and we are installing a new pool deck!!!!!!! We are very excited about the updates, and hope that you will stay with us again and enjoy the pool area. Thank you.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

It was only because there was nothing else available and I had to be in the area for work that stayed there. The first room Had a door that wouldn't latch. When it was fixed you had to SLAM it to get it to close. When I asked to change rooms the girls at the front desk were very understanding and helpful. I moved to the room next door but that was missing furniture. When I asked to move again the girls were very polite and understanding. Moved me to a room where the air conditioner functioned but looked like it was on it's last leg. I had to check out and come back after the weekend and got a different room. This one was in the same functioning but on its last leg as the prior room.

Despite signs telling you that they are trying to be more "green" they would change out my towels no matter where I hung them and would randomly take and replace soaps and shampoo bottles. Sometimes they would replace them, sometimes they would just take them.

The rooms were all extraordinarily outdated but were generally clean. The staff was very nice and polite and helpful considering what they had to work with.

The best part was the "caution wet paint" sign near nothing that was painted.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Staff was nice, the room was clean, great location! The beds were comfortable, I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I travel for a living and have stayed at this hotel for 10+ years when I have business in Norwich. It used to be my favorite place to stay, but about 8 years ago it started going down and it went down so far it was beyond gross. One time I checked in in January only to find no heat had been turned on in the room (staff said owner wouldn't allow it). I did turn the heat on but it was so bad that I had to retreat to the bed and pile my coat on me--didn't get warm enough to get out of bed until around 10:30 p.m. When I complained next a.m. to clerk she chuckled and said "Yeah those heaters put out about the same amount of heat as a hair dryer".

Clients in Norwich recommended Just Memories Bed and Breakfast also in Norwich. I transferred my business there and loved the place. However, I did get a little tired of having to drag my suitcases up the stairs there and having to deal with the tiny televisions (there is no real night life in Norwich, so TV is about all there is to do in the evening).

So, I decided to try this hotel again. Here's my review:

Cleanliness: Much improved. You can see an effort is being made. However, the hallways still stink so bad it is almost gag-worthy. It is a relief to escape into the room which in my case wasn't bad.

Room: On the small size compared to many hotels. Bathroom is very small, but I was put into a renovated bath room, and it really was a decent bathroom. TV is old fashioned (most chains I stay at have upgraded to wide screen, but not here). Bed was comfortable and clean. Towels were grungy and clearly had seen much use. Water in bath was plentiful and hot.

Staff: Very pleasant. However I think (after reading other reviews here) that they have a pat answer for every situation. I requested a first floor room and was told I was talking to the hotel manager and that I would most definitely get a first floor room with a renovated bath. When I arrived I was told "I don't know why she told you that because we don't have any first floor rooms available." However they did (according to them) switch another person's reservation to put me in the requested first floor room. Strangely enough, when I got up and left the next morning I discovered that almost the entire wing I was on was empty (I left late enough to see where the piles of laundry were from the cleaning staff).

Internet: HORRIBLE. Do NOT count on having working Internet if you are a business traveler as I am. I was there two nights and it was down both nights. The little clerk worked hard to get it going again and checked with me frequently to see if it was working again. She finally did get it up, but it was slow as molassas.

It is clear the owner is trying to make changes. But they are slow coming. I don't think the hotel makes enough money to make the renovations that are needed. Truly, if you need to stay in Norwich, I would recommend Just Memories B&B. It is beautiful and spotlessly clean. I may be switching back there myself. But I give this owner a decent mark for effort anyway.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This is a regular small town hotel. Its quite old and needs a lot of work to be done.

The price they charge is a bit exhuberant to the location but then there are hardly any other hotels around.

The rooms need a lot of cleaning and upgrading..

Would I recommend this hotel? Do I have a choice? If you go to Norwich, where else can you sleep when there are no other hotels?

PS: The new bar in the hotel (which opened 2 days ago) served us Apple juice when we ordered Jack Daniels and charged us for the same...

• Stayed: February 2011
4  Thank Suryavarman
Dana00287, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2011

Yes we may be an older hotel, but we are in the process of updating all of our guest bathrooms and bedrooms. When making any future reservations with us, please ask to be placed into one of our updated rooms. We would love for you to see the changes that we are making.
It does take time to do renovations, but we are getting there.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

We arrived on a Friday evening and I presented my reservation to the clerk, a king suite with pull out sofa and roll out. She checked us in, handed me the keys and off we went. The room she gave us had a king bed only, no sleeper sofa, no rollout. I went down and told her this was not the room I booked, she told me it wasn't available. She then gave us a room with two queen beds and a roll away. I went to the door and the key would work but the door was locked from the inside. I then heard a tiny voice say, "Mom, someone is trying to get into the room". The room was already occupied. I was NOT HAPPY!! Went back the desk and the VERY RUDE CLERK tried to first blame me and then some how blame the cleaning staff. First I was told I was wrong, no one was in that room, I guess it was a ghost child speaking.. then she tried to tell me the cleaning staff screwed up. I don't know how, she was the only one handing out rooms that night. I had no patience at this point, I had been in a car with two teenage girls and my husband and I wanted to shower and go to bed. She pretty much threw the next set of keys at me and said in a sugary sweet voice, "I hope this one works"! I was ready to to stick the keys in a place that would not be pleasant for her. The room was okay but the bathroom was gross and needed to be remodeled. The sink had rust stains and the shower tiles had seen better days. The clerk was a mean little snot who was more interested in her party plans for the evening than her job. If you can avoid it, don't stay here. FYI Norwich is a really pretty town, too bad they don't have any decent hotels to stay at.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hampton Inn Oneonta
#2 of 2 in Norwich
Super 8 Sidney NY
Super 8 Sidney NY
#1 of 1 in Sidney

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Norwich? Share your experiences!