See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I travel for a living and have stayed at this hotel for 10+ years when I have business in Norwich. It used to be my favorite place to stay, but about 8 years ago it started going down and it went down so far it was beyond gross. One time I checked in in January only to find no heat had been turned on in the room (staff said owner wouldn't allow it). I did turn the heat on but it was so bad that I had to retreat to the bed and pile my coat on me--didn't get warm enough to get out of bed until around 10:30 p.m. When I complained next a.m. to clerk she chuckled and said "Yeah those heaters put out about the same amount of heat as a hair dryer".

Clients in Norwich recommended Just Memories Bed and Breakfast also in Norwich. I transferred my business there and loved the place. However, I did get a little tired of having to drag my suitcases up the stairs there and having to deal with the tiny televisions (there is no real night life in Norwich, so TV is about all there is to do in the evening).

So, I decided to try this hotel again. Here's my review:

Cleanliness: Much improved. You can see an effort is being made. However, the hallways still stink so bad it is almost gag-worthy. It is a relief to escape into the room which in my case wasn't bad.

Room: On the small size compared to many hotels. Bathroom is very small, but I was put into a renovated bath room, and it really was a decent bathroom. TV is old fashioned (most chains I stay at have upgraded to wide screen, but not here). Bed was comfortable and clean. Towels were grungy and clearly had seen much use. Water in bath was plentiful and hot.

Staff: Very pleasant. However I think (after reading other reviews here) that they have a pat answer for every situation. I requested a first floor room and was told I was talking to the hotel manager and that I would most definitely get a first floor room with a renovated bath. When I arrived I was told "I don't know why she told you that because we don't have any first floor rooms available." However they did (according to them) switch another person's reservation to put me in the requested first floor room. Strangely enough, when I got up and left the next morning I discovered that almost the entire wing I was on was empty (I left late enough to see where the piles of laundry were from the cleaning staff).

Internet: HORRIBLE. Do NOT count on having working Internet if you are a business traveler as I am. I was there two nights and it was down both nights. The little clerk worked hard to get it going again and checked with me frequently to see if it was working again. She finally did get it up, but it was slow as molassas.

It is clear the owner is trying to make changes. But they are slow coming. I don't think the hotel makes enough money to make the renovations that are needed. Truly, if you need to stay in Norwich, I would recommend Just Memories B&B. It is beautiful and spotlessly clean. I may be switching back there myself. But I give this owner a decent mark for effort anyway.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This is a regular small town hotel. Its quite old and needs a lot of work to be done.

The price they charge is a bit exhuberant to the location but then there are hardly any other hotels around.

The rooms need a lot of cleaning and upgrading..

Would I recommend this hotel? Do I have a choice? If you go to Norwich, where else can you sleep when there are no other hotels?

PS: The new bar in the hotel (which opened 2 days ago) served us Apple juice when we ordered Jack Daniels and charged us for the same...

• Stayed: February 2011
4  Thank Suryavarman
Dana00287, General Manager at Chenango Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2011

Yes we may be an older hotel, but we are in the process of updating all of our guest bathrooms and bedrooms. When making any future reservations with us, please ask to be placed into one of our updated rooms. We would love for you to see the changes that we are making.
It does take time to do renovations, but we are getting there.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

We arrived on a Friday evening and I presented my reservation to the clerk, a king suite with pull out sofa and roll out. She checked us in, handed me the keys and off we went. The room she gave us had a king bed only, no sleeper sofa, no rollout. I went down and told her this was not the room I booked, she told me it wasn't available. She then gave us a room with two queen beds and a roll away. I went to the door and the key would work but the door was locked from the inside. I then heard a tiny voice say, "Mom, someone is trying to get into the room". The room was already occupied. I was NOT HAPPY!! Went back the desk and the VERY RUDE CLERK tried to first blame me and then some how blame the cleaning staff. First I was told I was wrong, no one was in that room, I guess it was a ghost child speaking.. then she tried to tell me the cleaning staff screwed up. I don't know how, she was the only one handing out rooms that night. I had no patience at this point, I had been in a car with two teenage girls and my husband and I wanted to shower and go to bed. She pretty much threw the next set of keys at me and said in a sugary sweet voice, "I hope this one works"! I was ready to to stick the keys in a place that would not be pleasant for her. The room was okay but the bathroom was gross and needed to be remodeled. The sink had rust stains and the shower tiles had seen better days. The clerk was a mean little snot who was more interested in her party plans for the evening than her job. If you can avoid it, don't stay here. FYI Norwich is a really pretty town, too bad they don't have any decent hotels to stay at.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed here in August and October while he had to be in town for job interviews. The front desk was very friendly, and was quick to give us extra towels and shampoo and a toothbrush to replace one that we had forgotten. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. We had a Jacuzzi tub on our second stay, but it was very small and narrow so we didn't try it out. We didn't pay extra for it, though--that was just the room they had available--so I wasn't concerned. The heater in the pool wasn't working on our first trip, but was fine on our second trip which was nice because we brought our grandkids along. The place is in walking distance to everything in town, so we never had to use our car. The Denny's in the motel was the quickest service we'd ever had at a Denny's. They also offer pre-order breakfast so you can pick it up and go. It's very basic accommodations, but we don't need the Ritz. We will be relocating to Norwich, and will recommend this place if people come to visit us.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I was very anxious when I went to check into this hotel, because some of the reviews. DON'T BELIEVE THEM. How anyone can think this hotel is not a viable, affordable option needs a reality check. Is it the Ritz - No, Is it brand new and spotless - no. But in NO WAY do you need to wear flipflops around because your nervous about the carpets. Could it use a $10 million rehab - yes - But if you are looking for a SAFE, CLEAN, FRIENDLY hotel to stay in over Parents weekend, College visits or just cause - this hotel is FINE. - If you want to look for reasons not to go, I'm sure you will find them, however this is a fine option in an area where the pickings are slim.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family