“Nice Place, good food and friendly staff”
Review of Gus' Steakhouse and Sports Bar - CLOSED

Gus' Steakhouse and Sports Bar
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Gainesville
“Nice Place, good food and friendly staff”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I read the reviews on this site and decided to try it since I was stuck in Norwich for a week. First of all, the prices here are incredible (as in inexpensive). The waitress was vey nice and the food/portions were delicious/plentiful. I noticed that several people have commented on the slow service and I suppose that if you are in a hurry to dine and get out, this is not the place for you. Personally, when I go to a nicer dining establishment, I don't want to feel rushed. For me, the dinner was nicely paced and I had time to savor the appetizer, salad and dinner. In spite of the fact that the service was nicely paced, the head waitress thought we had waited to long and brought us an extra appetizer at no cost. I think this is one of the best small-town restaurants I have eaten at and highly recommend it. For the adventurous diner, Gus' offers the 80 oz. steak challenge. If you can finish the 80 oz. steak and one side within an hour, the meal is on the house. Fail and you pay $70.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank joebo11

Central, New York
“Pleased”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Was in town for work and went two nights in a row. The waitress was awesome!(wish I knew her name!) they didn't have the item we wanted for dinner so they substituted for us at the same price and we all liked our food. They adjusted air second night without us asking (we were right under air and a couple of us has shorts and sleeveless tops) she checked on us often, everything came out in timely fashion. Didn't feel rushed but didn't wait. We got the early bird specials which was a great deal! There was plenty of other items on the menu to. Bar inside if needed. Would go again.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank onaneedtoknowbasis
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Delicious marinated steak”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Heard about this Steakhouse from a friend that bragged about the food and atmosphere. And with July 4th being his actually birthday we decided to take scenic ride from Syracuse New York to Norwich, N,Y, on the motorcycles.
The restaurant has a warm and cozy feeling and the woman that greeted us also was the owner, very friendly and greeted us a with a smile and happy that you came attitude.
The waitress brought out a nice bowel of pasta salad that is complimentary and also very good. Myself and a few others all ordered Gus Marinated steak and it was cooked to perfect with an incredible flavor.
The steak is priced very reasonable and definitely is a bargain once you taste the flavor. I am already planning to take another trip out there with the family because I was very impressed with the food and hospitality.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Fred S
Oneonta, New York
“Horrific Experience, Will never eat here again”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Let me start off by saying that the food was really good. Now, for everything else:
We made a reservation for 6pm. We arrived 10 to 6 and were told 5-10 minutes. We ended up waiting THIRTY FIVE MINUTES to even be seated.
We placed our order-- it took SIXTY FIVE MINUTES for our food to be brought out.
After the meal we spoke with the manager who SCREAMED at us. She yelled at my mother asking her what she wanted her to do. My mom politely told her about how typically you placed a "reserved" sign at a table 30 minutes before the reservation to ensure you have a table, or to just not accept reservations. The manager didn't let my mother get a full sentence out, and told her "Now, you HAVE to listen to ME"
That is when we left, never to return again.
This place is a crock, and I am shocked that with service like we experienced it is even open.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank Katie P
New Jersey
“Cozy, delicious, hit the spot”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Usually when we come to the end of a long drive and we're starving and don't know where to eat, we end up grouchy and arguing. In Norwich, however, there weren't many options, so we pulled in here and checked it out. I kind of expected a dingy table behind a bar with guys drinking beer and yelling at a TV with football games on it. Instead we entered a very tastefully decorated establishment with beautiful polished wood floors and tables, and a large, toasty fireplace.

For the information of disabled travelers, I'll add here that the entrance and bathroom are not handicapped accessible, although the staff held the door, and offered to assist us in lifting my daughter's small wheelchair over the step and up into the dining room. (She's a lightweight and we have a portable metro transit chair, like an umbrella stroller.) They said they have a homemade ramp that they were going to bring out, but we just lifted her up the steps.

Once parked, we really enjoyed our meal opposite the fireplace. The salad and blue cheese dressing were excellent. We also had a coconut shrimp appetizer, which compares very favorably to the same dish in well-known chain restaurants where we eat that regularly. I had the house special steak, which was delicious. They had more deluxe cuts, but we weren't looking for a major dining experience, just dinner. The white wine was cold, and the house brand was Mondavi. My daughter had a mac and cheese - very creamy. And my husband ate some steak and lobster tail combo, which he also enjoyed.

The waitress, Wendy, was friendly, accurate, quick, and always available (I hope I tipped her enough - I was really tired and bad at math! - let me know if I didn't!). At the end of our meal, even though it was pretty late and close to closing, the owner's wife, Maria Fernandez Stamatatos, came by and chatted with us about various topics. These people's friendliness eased the stress of our long trip.

If business or family ever takes us that way again, this will be where we stop for a meal.

• Visited January 2013