“Nice place but a bit odd”
Review of Splendor Inn

Splendor Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Norwich
Splendor Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Norwich B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Nice place but a bit odd”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have to say that I'm not much of a B&B guy so maybe what I think is a little different is normal for B&Bs. First, the owners are very nice and gracious and the breakfasts were excellent...no complaints here. What I thought was a bit strange was that the house is never locked and there are no locks on the rooms. I've worked in the locksmithing industry for 25 years so this was rather disturbing to me. We also were there when the daytime temperatures were in the 90's and we were staying on the 3rd floor, which is essentially a converted attic. The small room air conditioner could not cool the room enough to make it bearable. I had two of the worst nights of sleep I have ever had. My relatives were on the 2nd floor and had a very good experience with their room, although the lack of security made them uncomfortable too. I suppose I would stay there again since it's the best option in the area but I would not stay on the 3rd floor in the summer again.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 3rd floor in the summer months. The two 3rd floor rooms share a bathroom as well.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lock-Man65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sunderland
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Having never stayed in an American B & B before we weren't sure what to expect, but it was very different to B & B's at home. On our first day we arrived to find the door open, but the house completely empty. We phoned the owners who told us to go to our room and make ourselves comfortable and they would see us in the morning, (this was about 3.00pm in the afternoon). We found our room which was indicated on a piece of paper and started to unpack, still unsure of whether we were in the right place. One of the first things I noticed was that there were no keys to the doors, which of course made me nervous about going out again seeing as the house was empty and unlocked. However we had an appointment, so had to leave making sure we locked our cases and took all our valuables with us. When we returned at about 10.30pm, the house was still open & quiet and fairly dark. Once in the room, we also noticed for the first time that there was no tea or coffee making facilities and so I wandered around trying to find light switches to find a kettle or coffee maker, which I did find downstairs, although I felt like I was skulking around someone's home. We then discovered the next problem. The B & B is on a main route through New York State and the traffic passed by all night and even the Air Con couldn't drown it out.
However there were some positives because the next morning, 18 hours after arriving, we finally met Sandy & Jim, the owners, who I have to say were very friendly & helpful and the breakfast was very good, fruit followed by pancakes & bacon & syrup.
However all in all it was a bit of a weird experience, but on talking to others we have since discovered that a lot of American B & B's operate this way.
My main issue was that compared to some of the hotels we stayed in Just Memories was quite expensive and with no lock on the door, no tea and coffee in the room, no double glazing to dampen the noise issue and no one to meet and greet you, sadly it has ended up with a poor mark from me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DrifterSunderland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Hampton Inn Oneonta
The 1810 Juliand House Bed and Breakfast
The Checkered Moose Inn
The Checkered Moose Inn
#2 of 2 in Sherburne

Been to Splendor Inn? Share your experiences!