“Lapland Lake's charm is magical.”

Lapland Lake Cross Country Ski Center
New Jersey
“Lapland Lake's charm is magical.”
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Lapland Lake is the finest, most family-friendly cross-country ski center I have ever visited. Ann and Olavi are warmhearted and gracious hosts, and the entire staff is always cheerful, professional, and courteous.

The trail system is beautiful and perfectly laid out, respecting the terrain and the skier. In addition, the trails are appropriately marked. I have been to some other cross-country ski centers where I have to wonder who thought of the trail designations. At Lapland, you can be confident that the green trails are in fact green, the blues are in fact blue, and the black trails are in fact black - no unpleasant surprises to mar your ski experience. And all the trails are superbly groomed, thanks to Olavi.

The website provides accurate information about site conditions daily. You can surely trust what you read there.

The tupas (cottages) are immaculate, cozy, and homey. Since they include the cost of your trail pass and since you can bring and cook your own food (if you prefer), their price is very reasonable. (By not having to expend fuel to drive there and back from a motel, by not having to pay extra for a trail pass, and by not having to go out to eat, you can actually save money by staying on site.) The convenience of staying on site in such pleasant accommodations cannot be overstated.

Ski lessons at Lapland Lake are outstanding, providing comprehensive instruction by excellent instructors. My ski companions and I have taken several lessons over the years ranging from basic to more advanced. We continue to be impressed by the quality of the instruction and the instructors.

Lapland works its magic every time my friends and I visit there. It was enchanting when we first visited over a decade ago, and it is enchanting still.

New jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Consistently great XC skiing”
Reviewed December 19, 2009

We have been coming back to Lapland Lake for over 10 years. We've skied Canada and the Northeastern United States and always enjoy the trails and ambiance of Ann and Olavi's jewel. The trails are well-groomed and offer something for beginners to experienced skiers looking for great runs. The night skiing along a quiet trail is an almost other-worldly experience. Nights are quiet and made for reading or sleeping. No television and that's greta by us. Phone and internet connection in the shop area. We always find some gear to but and Olavi and the staff provide great advice on skiing technique.

Saratoga, NY
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun and Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Frequent visitor to Lapland Lake for cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Great hosts and staff, along with well maintained trails. Always have a great time when we go..they even have reindeer.

Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fun, very accessible x-country ski center”
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Lapland Lakes has a great staff and a friendly, family atmosphere. We fly to Albany from snow-starved Maryland - making Lapland Lakes about as close as West Virginia x-country sites.

NY
“Great place to ski”
Reviewed December 18, 2009

I am not a professional skier - far from it actually. I had raced at Lapland Lake many times when I was in high school and always had a great experience. Ann and Olavi - the owners - were always very accommodating, and I have gone back many times on my own or with groups of friends to ski. The trails offer a wide variety of difficulty and you can spend an entire day there without skiing them all. I continue to go back for the homey feel, great service, superbly maintained trails, and always have a good time.