“Not Worth It”
Review of Cilantro - CLOSED

Cilantro
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Cilantro is a lively Mexican inspired fast food restaurant located on Woodbine Avenue in the Village of Northport, NY. We serve burritos, tacos, quesadillas, fajitas, and salads that you can build anyway you'd like! Cilantro boasts indoor and outdoor seating, as well as a family friendly environment. Since opening our doors in 2013, Cilantro has rapidly gained popularity as one of the premiere Mexican fast food restaurants on the North Shore of Long Island. Cilantro prides itself on being community driven, and supporting local businesses and causes. Since it's family/locally owned, it's not uncommon to see the chefs talking with all of our guests. We truly care about each and every patron that comes through our doors everyday, and believe in 100% customer satisfaction! At Cilantro we're just as meticulous with our preparation, as we are with our famous Mexican burrito, taco, quesadilla, fajita, and salad recipes. We are absolutely committed to providing healthily, authentic, and tasty Mexican cuisine, and because of this commitment we freshly prepare all of our ingredients everyday!
Huntington, New York
“Not Worth It”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I'm really surprised by all the good reviews for this place, but good for them. Maybe I just didn't try the right thing. I was expecting a "real" Mexican restaurant with stove/oven cooking, but it was more like a Chipotle, Moe's or Subway. That disappointed me, but I still decided to give it a try. I ordered nachos and this is how it went: a bag of pre-packaged nachos was emptied into a plastic bowl and then I picked what ingredients to put on top. The cheese looked like melted Velveeta. It made me think twice, but nachos without melted cheese just isn't nachos. Overall, the shredded beef was good and some the ingredients were okay, but the tortilla chips weren't very good (tasted stale and not much flavor) and the waxy cheesy sauce did end up sitting heavy in my gut. It tasted pretty bad. Would never eat that stuff again.

I really wish this was a real Mexican restaurant instead of a buffet style service because Northport can benefit from one. I wouldn't say anything here was "freshly prepared", it sits in bowls on a counter. The guacamole was browned on top from being out for hours.

I won't be going to Cilantro again because I honestly ended feeling sick to my stomach after eating there. I could see this place being a hit with maybe teens and college crowds. It's like a step up from Taco Bell. But at nearly $8 for a small bowl of so-so nachos, I could do better at a real Mexican restaurant and pass on the pre-packaged, processed stuff.

Caracara in Farmingdale is the best Mexican I've had on the Island so far.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank MrandMrs K

East Northport, New York
“Delicious Mexican right in Northport Harbor!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you haven't tried Cilantro, or if you have and didn't have the best experience, I would take a stroll down to the heart of Northport's harbor and stop in for a great meal. I had a terrific lunch there today, sitting outside with my husband and two small children. The two boys had a chicken quesadilla (adult sized, though there is a children's menu available) and my husband and I split the loaded nachos with barbacoa and carne asada tacos (3 included in the meal). The chicken was fully flavorful-just the right amount of spice and diced into perfectly sized pieces. (Side note-my 4 yr old, who loves some heat in his Mexican dishes, actually cried when he bit into the children's quesadilla at Chipotle as it was too spicy for him). The loaded nachos were phenomenal-at Cilantro they actually make their own tortilla chips-and this really adds to the overall experience of the dish. The chips are sturdy enough to withstand the "loaded" toppings and do not get soggy like many nacho dishes we are all used to. We loved the nacho cheese instead of just the typical shredded, melted cheese and the barbacoa was a perfect match. Seasoned just right, shredded, and tender. The carne asada tacos were delicious...again diced into perfectly manageable pieces (nothing's worse than biting into a taco and being forced to eat half of the taco's filling at once because the meat is cut into giant pieces. We added the homemade (notice a theme-just about all items are homemade) chipotle ranch, fresca salsa, lettuce, and shredded cheese on top and had guacamole on the side (creamy and flavorful, without overpowering our tacos). We could've eaten 3 more, that's how tasty they were, but our stomachs wouldn't allow it! Portions were on target for the prices of the entrees and we left completely satisfied and full-bellied. I highly recommend skipping the typical bottled sodas in the cooler and trying their homemade (there it is again) orange iced tea, lemonade, and orange juice. My boys loved the orange juice (freshly squeezed oranges, no added sugar), I enjoyed the orange iced tea (I had mine unsweetened, sweetened is an option), and my husband had the fresh lemonade. As we left, we grabbed a bag of the cinnamon chips and enjoyed this special treat as we strolled along the path by the harbor. All in all, we LOVE the concept of fresh ingredients added to made-to-order entrees and love even more that we're spoiled having this great eatery so close to home. We will definitely be back weekly as it is affordable and filling and the location couldn't be any better-in beautiful Northport.

• Visited April 2013
Northport, New York
“Tasty!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great addition to town. Fresh, tasty and great staff! The food was freshly prepared and there was a lot of choices on the menu.

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This place cannot even compare to the other mexican restaurants in the Northport area. Ordering here is confusing especially if you want to do it over the phone or online. You have to decide which kind of tortilla you want, what kind of rice, beans and so on. And who ever heard of a mexican place that serves white or brown rice? My burrito was supposed to have salsa and guacamole on it. I saw neither. There was also literally 2 small shreds of cheese. Cooked onions, raw red onions, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce. Very confusing. Either it is a hot burrito or a cold wrap. Not both. Based on what I ate here I will not be returning. I was really rooting for you guys but you cannot compare with Aunt Chilada's or Three Amigos sorry.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank napagirl2
New York
“Awesome Burrito's!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

So after being open for just two weeks, Cilantro's owner Artie Berke already has me planning my next visit here. And how couldn't you? With their mammoth sized burritos and homemade/fresh ingredients it's hard not to want to come back!

They offer 6 types of meals to choose from: Burritos, Fajita Burritos, Burrito Bowls, Salad Bowls, Tacos, and Fajitas. Make any of them your way by customizing everything from the type of salsa, to "protein" you'd like included in your creation. Check list menus are also provided while ordering, and truly help make this local fast food dining experience "Easy as Uno, Dos, Tres!!"

Obviously you have to try their huge burritos, but definitely don't miss out on their corn tortilla soft tacos! Each serving comes with 3 and are stuffed with mexican spices, ingredients, and authenticity. I suggest mixing their "Salsa Picante" and their "Mango Salsa" to really get that spicy/sweet kick in your meal.

MUST TRY their homemade tortilla chips with sea salt that comes in a huge bag for a $1.50! Their tortilla chips also come in a "dessert" version as they say...essentially they toss them in sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Really good too!!

Overall, portion sizes are generous and prices are similar to that of your big chain Chipotle or Qdoba. Though, the best thing about Cilantro is that its a local biz and the nearest Chipotle/Qdoba and dare I say Taco Bell, aren't very near at all...they're seriously mad far from here!!

I'm so psyched to finally have a fresh/healthy Mexican fast food joint around these parts, and just as psyched/honored to have been the first to review Cilantro.

Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

• Visited March 2013