“Best fried fish dinner, fabulous value, friendly warm atmosphere”
Review of Sawyer Creek Hotel

Sawyer Creek Hotel
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Best fried fish dinner, fabulous value, friendly warm atmosphere”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Sawyer Creek Restaurant is located in an old Inn in North Tonawanda, New York, about 15 minutes from Buffalo and just off the NY Thruway. The well known "Fish Fry" dinner is probably one of the best we've ever eaten and we go back to this restaurant every time we're in the area. The fried haddock is lightly battered, crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked inside. It is moist, deliscious, enormous and comes with coleslaw and your choice of fries or several other sides. The price? Currently $9.50. The atmosphere is relaxed and cozy and the service exceptionally friendly and prompt.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Sampottr

Grand Island, New York
“Sawyer Creek Restaurant, Great for those quiet, romantic dinner dates”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The setting is an 'Old Western', Rustic Decor which I find rather appealing. This Restaurant/Hotel is an old converted house that still has the creeky floorboards and big, old TALL windows and has ceiling mounted Air Conditioning Units that keep the place cool on those hot summer days.

There is an old-time WESTERN walkup BAR and tables in the front of the building, adjacent to Niagara Falls Blvd. The Restaurant is in the back of the building. Barely adequate Parking is on the side and rear of the building and a motorcycle 'lot' on the side of Nash Road. The building has a nice Social Open Air Porch complete with small tables and wooden railing intended for drinks from the Bar.

The Ambiance is low lit, quiet, family style with small tables for 2 or 4 and a few rather larger tables that can accommodate larger groups. They have a good Friday Night Haddock, Beer Batter Fish Fry, which is my favorite. Prices are middle of the road and affordable if you don't let the bar tab get out of hand. On busy nights, (Fridays especially) it's not unusual to wait for a seat in the Dining Room, but the wait is not extremely lengthy. You could spend your wait-time in the bar or at the small waiting area just outside the dining room.

During the several SEVERAL occasions I have enjoyed my dinner there over the years, I have always found the staff to be friendly and very willing to make our stay enjoyable. The Food is always fresh and I have yet to have a bad meal. Portions are more than adequate.

Sadly, I don't frequent as often as I would like, But it's a great little out of the way restaurant and has always been highly recommended by not only myself, but others as well.

WELL worth the stop and worth a return visit.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Larry T
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really love this place!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been here many times really like the rustic atmosphere. We've had good service/ servers just about every time. The food is good and appropriately priced. Our faves are: the beer/ drink selection, Cajun grilled wings, and my personal favorite is the Cajun Crab- stuffed haddock.... Yummy every time! The only downside to it is, it's not served on Fridays:(. My mom was in from out of town and I couldn't wait to have her try this out on a Fish Friday, we were sad to find its a never event on Fridays:(. On the upside the broiled and beer battered haddock was also good:) ps: try the Premium Long Island Iced tea!

1 Thank Harlie24
Niagara Falls, New York, United States
“Best fish sandwich, and best fish fry!!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Love the fish fry, I consider theirs to be the best in Niagara county, right now!!! Nothing to complain about here, take out or dine in, always great!!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Tara R
Hamilton, Canada
“Great place, good food and fun atmosphere”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went to Sawyer's Creek for dinner this past Saturday night (Jan 5,2013) on the recommendation of friends of ours who frequent the restaurant on a regular basis. We love to sit at the bar as we find that we get a really good feel for a place by sitting there. It was very busy but one nice man gave me his seat at the end of the bar so that we could both sit - and he pulled up a little stool - which right away made us feel very welcome. The bartender and staff were very friendly and it certainly looked to me that there were a number of regulars by the way they interacted with the staff ... which bodes well for good food and good prices. We were told by the bartender that the most popular dishes were the fish and chips, beef on weck and their crab stuff cajun haddock ... so I had the crab stuff cajun haddock and my fiance had the beef on a weck. They were both delicious. They did have many more items on the menu as well. We will definitely go back the next time we go on our cross border shopping expedition.

• Visited January 2013