“a gem near Garnet Hill”
Review of Cedarwood B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North River
Cedarwood B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 North River B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“a gem near Garnet Hill”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

All-around delightful, from the moment we opened the door and felt the roaring fire in the fireplace. Innkeepers Sharalee and Louis are friendly and helpful but not intrusive. Breakfasts were tasty and very appropriate for pre-cross country skiing (i.e., not an overload of carbs but instead eggs, veggies, even a quinoa cake). Afternoon tea with fruit and cakes -- super yum! And the teas are real leaf teas, perfect for us tea aficionados. Our room (Peddlers Room) was comfortable, with good reading lights on either side of the bed. We chose that one because it's the only one with a full tub (not just a shower) -- nice to soak after a hard ski. We appreciated being able to adjust our own thermostat. The bedroom had no chairs to sit and read in, but the living room is fine for that, especially when the fireplace is blazing.

We are cross-country skiers who have been going to Garnet Hill for 30+ years, and we've stayed at just about every motel, inn, and lodging in North Creek, North River, and Warrensburg (some of which have gone defunct), including Garnet Hill Lodge itself. Coupled with all of its other benefits, Cedarwood's proximity to Garnet Hill is ideal. We recommend it to folks who want the quieter setting and the opportunity to eat at different places in the area.

Roads were well-plowed on the cold weekend we were there.

Room Tip: Peddlers Room has a full tub. Bed is comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Montgomery, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed for a three day trip during what had to be the coldest part of the winter (-20 F overnight). The food and hospitality offered was excellent. Breakfast kept you satisfied through a long day of cross country skiing and snowboarding before returning to the bed and breakfast for afternoon tea which warmed you up from inside out. Sharalee is very accommodating with any food allergies- I have a gluten allergy, and she made me a wonderful gluten free crepe with strawberries and whipped cream. Mmmm!! I definitely would recommend to any one looking for a place to stay in the Adirondacks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jqelmore88
Thomaston, CT
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Cedarwood for our honeymoon. We had high hopes for a wonderful trip and all our expectation were met. We stayed for nearly a full week and are looking forward to a return trip. Every aspect of the experience from the food to the room to the local scene, was all we had hoped for and more. There is a lot to see and a wonderful lake nearby where we swam and went kayaking. There are excellent local restaurants and our innkeeper Sharalee knew everything about the area. The B&B has beautiful grounds with sculptures and wild flowers where we drank wine, ate locally made cheese and relaxed. Lots of fresh local ingredients in the breakfasts, too. The area is charming, the inn is outstanding and if you want an escape, this is the place. Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle P
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I recently stayed at Cedarwood B&B, and, after my experience, would most definitely recommend it to anyone looking to stay at an incredible Bed and Breakfast! I had such a wonderful Adirondack experience, and had I stayed anywhere else, I believe it would have been very different.

The Bed and Breakfast itself is a beautiful, unique, inviting place to stay, full of character and charm. Every part of my usual day is full of noise and crowds and not much outdoor activity; staying here was an ideal vacation. A quiet place to read, relax, and unwind, it's proximity to great activities such as rafting and kayaking provide the best of two great vacation worlds. The rooms are clean and comfortable and, like the house itself, full of character and warmth. And the breakfasts-oh the breakfasts-are soooo amazing! The proprietor, Sharalee, is a fantastic cook!

Speaking of.....the hospitality was without a doubt the best I've ever experienced. A place to sleep is a place to sleep, but Sharalee makes you feel welcome. She went above and beyond to help me to have the best experience I possibly could. Whether it was making sure I had everything I needed, or helping me to plan a trip, I could not have imagined a better hostess if I tried! So if you are reading this, Sharalee, thank you for everything-thank you for my Adirondack experience!

And to anyone reading this, I would highly recommend staying at Cedarwood for a wonderfully unforgettable Bed and Breakfast experience!

Room Tip: Choose a room-you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I went because I needed a place near Olmsteadville (where I bought the sweetest boat on earth, a Hornbeck canoe) and was sold by the reviews here, particularly the raves about the food. I'm a tough food critic, but oh my goodness! Sharalee can cook for me any day,

But it is more than the food. I felt so comfortable there, so welcome. The decor is delightful, so many lovely touches, and the owners renovated the house themselves.... great job!

I hope to return someday and paddle the gorgeous Thirteenth Lake!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Poet's Room and it was terrific for me.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank doreng
Astoria, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I visited Cedarwood with my mother and was excited about this getaway retreat in the beautiful backwoods of the Adirondacks. Be prepared to have poor or little cell phone reception (in our case, none), TV or radio at Cedarwood. We were able to communicate via wifi connection. I was a bit disappointed they messed up our reservation since we had requested a room change a couple weeks ago and it had been confirmed by email. Business wise, they seemed very disorganized so be weary about changes or special requests you may have. We ended up staying in the "Peddler's Room" for two nights. Though they had apologized for the confusion, we chose to be considerate and stick to the room we had already put to use on the first night. We did NOT sleep well. The bed was very squeaky, mattress was sagging on the sides, pillows were over-sized. If you're afraid of insects, this is not your place either. Though there is a disclaimer on the wall stating that insects in that region are inevitable, i thought there was way too much and I did not feel comfortable. I didn't choose a cabin or tent for that reason- so this was definitely very surprising. We were served breakfast for one day in our two night reservation. It was delicious as per the reviews on the site. However, If you're heading out early the next day (6:30 a.m. for us) for a long drive, do not expect breakfast or at the very least food for the road. They serve breakfast at either 8a or 9:30a. The hosts do not make themselves accessible. I had no idea where I could call or see them should I have a request. I wanted to let them know we were heading out early and hoping we can get our breakfast sooner but no luck. Overall, I felt we could have used our money better elsewhere. I'm actually feeling buyer's remorse, but alas, it's definitely a learning experience.

Room Tip: The bed in "Peddler's Room" is NOT comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jackie G
Gypsy_Rambler, Owner at Cedarwood B&B, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
I am so sorry a former guest of mine had a terrible time at Cedarwood. I understand when folks stay with me not only is it an expense, but they are using precious vacation time. It's not in anyone's best interest for bad feelings. I'd rather not respond to all the negative remarks made against me & my business but I would to address two of them.

When I realized I gave the wrong room, I apologized and offered my guest 2 rooms for the price of 1 for her second night. For some reason this offer was declined which I now find confusing since she was not happy. I spoke on the phone after she left and I still detected no sign of unhappiness.

At Cedarwood we have a nice mixture of old and new furnishings. The bed she referred to is an antique (mattress new) and was kind of squeaky. We have since corrected the problem andis squeak and stable.

Please note that the Adirondacks is a 6 million acre parkland that has been deemed Forever Wild. It is why people come here. However, with that, you may be without some modern conveinences such as TV & Radio. Not all cell-phones get 100% service. We do have wi-fi and a landline for people to use if needed. Many folks bring computers to view movies or check email etc.
Sharalee
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We just had a great weekend at Cedarwood. Shirley is a wonderful hostess--and she can really cook! We had wonderful breakfasts, but I was really smitten with a gluten-free rhubarb pie that she made for us. Simply delicious. She pointed us to a great local restaurant and some great parks and trails during our stay. This is a hidden gem and a great value.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in North Creek
The Copperfield Inn Resort
The Copperfield Inn Resort
#3 of 4 in North Creek

Been to Cedarwood B&B? Share your experiences!