“Awesome time and something different to do.”
Review of Garnet Mine Tours

Garnet Mine Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Outstanding site for collecting unusually large garnets. Staff is extremely friendly and flexible, and rates are reasonable. Even the locals didn't seem to know about this place, and it offers a fantastic alternative to skiing, which seems to be the predominant attraction in the area.
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I went here years ago with my parents and came back with my kids. Well priced and definatly different then the normal attractions for kids. The kids loved being able to dig and sift for garnets and its great you get to take what you find. Your admittance also gets you a season's pass. Keep in mind these garnets were used for sandpaper so the chances are super low you'll find anything gem quality but its still cool leaving with a bag of garnets you pulled from the earth.

2  Thank Seth P
There are newer reviews for Garnet Mine Tours

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Kids loved this. Went out to mine area- which is actually some cliffs that were previously blasted for mining with 2 ponds below. Area is beautiful, with so much garnet everywhere that you actually walk on bits of jewels. Kids loved sifting for the garnet so much we went back 3 times- 3 hrs (for the price of admission you can go back as much as you want.) People were really nice and helpful. Kids each got a small bag of garnet gems which they thought was amazing.... Would go back.

2  Thank DrXYZ
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I took our son and his family to the garnet mine and we had a great time. The kids especially enjoyed digging and splashing the water to fine the garnets, but I think they were more interested in the frogs that were plentiful in the ponds. We were pleasantly surprised at the amount of garnet shards everywhere and managed to collect two nice vials of garnet without any work at all. It was a lovely way to spend the morning, but don't plan on striking it rich from garnets.

1  Thank katt51
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Went here as a child & again as an adult. my brother & I had a blast panning for Garnet & learning of the history of the mining.

1  Thank RockyAcresInn
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I visited this location while on vacation. While there the tour guide gave a brief history of the "mine" and we were given about 45min to seek out our fortunes. We were then told we had to go back to the gift shop but could return with the next tour group to continue our mining. On this note it would have been better if there was a mine operator at the mine site in order to allow us to stay longer to mine. I might also add that you should bring tools such as a shovel and a sifter as there isn't enough for a small group. Furthermore, the mine is mostly bit of garnet and due to safely reasons you are not allowed to break the larger rocks apart in order to retrieve larger garnet pcs. Thus your fortune most likely will not occur due to the small fragments you find. The panning of the garnets was a fun experience but not really worthwhile.

4  Thank Pookamunga