“beautiful view, rustic lodge setting, upscale menu”

The Log House Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Log House Restaurant is dedicated to serving our guests the most delicious and passionately prepared dishes made from scratch with only fresh, authentic ingredients. Our menu features many appealing American dishes prepared with an Adirondack twist, all to give you, our guest, the most unique and satisfying dining experience possible. The restaurant accommodates guests in a warm, intimate environment centered around the fireplace or in one of our porches overlooking pristine 13th Lake and the surrounding Adirondack Mountains. Our service will make you feel pampered and special every time. We can provide a private setting for groups of up to 25 people, by reservation.
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We hiked a trail on the grounds of this cross-country ski haven and then had cocktails and a fabulous meal overlooking a beautiful Adirondack lake at sunset...what more need be said?...the lodge owners try very hard and succeed at making an inviting setting....service was attentive, I had grilled trout and my husband had pork chops, we chose from the summer dinner menu but the bar menu looked excellent and quite extensive....to get the view from the porch you must order from the dinner menu, not the bar menu, but the porch seemed elegant and special....the interior dining room was also inviting...I would have had no problem in either space!

Don P, Owner at The Log House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Ruthie,

Thank you so much for your nice review of our restaurant and lodge. And since you've been here we've actually changed some things around in the kitchen and the food is now better than ever. Chefs Sue Callanan and Heidi Plumley have designed a whole new menu that is colorful, full of great flavors and delicious. So I hope you get a chance to come and see us again soon.

Thanks again,
-Don Preuninger

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a nice place to have dinner on a recent trip to the Adirondacks, and saw this restaurant online. We spent quite a while hanging out by 13th Lake and enjoying the magnificent setting. Beautiful mountains and a sparkling lake. We were excited for a great dinner. We were disappointed. We are very easily pleased when it comes to food, but even we left unsatisfied. I ordered an iced tea which came out extremely watered down and tasted like water. We were given warm bread at our table, all of it was stale and chewy. The salads were swimming in dressing. The worst was the entrees. The only side orders that were available were steamed carrots and jasmine white rice. It came with every entree. I had duck with a balsamic reduction and berry compote. It looked beautiful but tasted like food that has been in a sink too long smells. I reluctantly ate it because it cost $20. The white rice had no sauce or juice on it and was very dry. The carrots were cooked well but underseasoned. My wife had chicken francaise with rice and carrots. The chicken was tough and the only taste was the egg that the chicken was dipped in. I can eat almost anything, but this was awful. There was nothing on the plate to dip rice in, and the white rice was dry and also barely edible. I was thoroughly disappointed in our meal because the setting was so beautiful.

2  Thank Mikelibertucci
Reviewed August 5, 2012

For as long as it takes to get to this place, and how beautiful the setting is, overlooking 13th Lake in the Adirondacks, you really want this place to be great. There are new owners, who are very pleasant and come around to visit with guests and apparently the place has had some recent renovations and maintenance. The dining room, and the sunroom with views of the lawn and mountains are very nice and well decorated. Here's where it all goes "down the ski slope". The food and service do not match the setting and beautiful restaurant. We ordered a bottle of wine, and the waitress was having difficulty opening the bottle with the dollar store wine bottle opener. She asked the waiter who was tending to the table next to us if there was a better opener, and he immediately condescended to her and scolded her for complaining about the bottle opener. I think he was the head waiter by the way he treated the other staff. We ordered the cucumber soup, which was bland and tasteless. We ordered the black bean soup, which had what appeared to be minced black beans and something we later identified as strangely undercooked celery, which was like eating warm, wilted chunks of celery that still had a wilted sort of crunch to them. The black bean soup was bland, unseasoned, and otherwise unappetizing. We ordered the fried chicken, stuffed trout and wild mushroom pasta. The chicken was bland, overcooked and the batter had no seasoning whatsoever. The trout was overcooked and dry. The wild mushroom pasta had a blend of domestic cap mushrooms and wild mushrooms and the sauce was very sweet and reminded me of Prego spaghetti sauce. Without exaggerating in the least, I have had way better sauce from a jar. The sunroom area of the dining room faces west and when the sun dropped down low enough to shine through the windows, the room got very hot and the light blinded us. The head waiter came by and started to lower the blinds, but made sure to let everyone know that the waitress did not know how to lower them. He made everyone very uncomfortable by his incessant condescension of the other staff. The owner, who was very nice, finally came by and opened some windows. We were all sweating profusely at this point due to the fact that there are no ceiling fans or air conditioning and the room was stiflingly hot. The waitress asked us four times if we wanted to have the bread taken away, which we kept telling her that we did not. The bus boys came by every 3 minutes to fill our water glasses, but never actually took our empty plates away. We had to finally ask our waitress to clean the table since it became crowded and we were tired of looking at our empty plates. When it came time for dessert, they only had a few choices: brownie sundae and a few berry pies, including rhubarb, no of which sounded appetizing. After the tasteless and poorly cooked meals, we didn't want to risk it any further. $135 dollars later, we left with a serious sense of disappointment, because we were really hoping for a fine dining experience. Instead we got poor service, made worse by the rude and condescending head waiter, very low quality and poorly cooked food, and sweat soaked shirts. We anticipated a wonderful fine dining experience, and instead get the "Country Kitchen" experience. We want to give this place another chance, since there are new owners and perhaps in another year they will bring the quality up to par with the beautiful lodge and location. We hope they make it as the new owners, but it will likely take a new head chef and head waiter who understand fine dining and know how to deliver it. We will go back next year and see if it is improved and hopefully be able to leave a better review. In the meantime, we do not recommend this restaurant, regardless of price, which was high for what you get.

3  Thank J D
Don P, Owner at The Log House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide so much feedback on the dinner you had with us. I do wish that you were able to have a more satisfactory experience with us, as we do seem to be able to meet and exceed the expectations of virtually everyone that dines with us.
And thank you for noticing that we are a "Country Kitchen" type of restaurant although I guess you do not mean that as a compliment. However, it is one way to describe us. We do make many of our breads, soups, appetizers, entrees and desserts from scratch and we do not seek to over-flavor them with a lot of salt, additives, sugars or spices. Instead, we seek to provide simple, wholesome, locally sourced, well thought out selections that do satisfy the tastes and palettes of some very discerning clientele on a regular basis.
It is true that our waitstaff was young and inexperienced this summer. And I apologize for any mistakes they made in your presence. As new owners, we have sought to hire local people and we do take the time and make the effort to train them and our goal is to provide them with the experience and knowledge to become first class servers in any restaurant in the world. Jeff, our Matre'd is charged with the responsibility of training these young folks and he does take his job seriously - and maybe too seriously at times. I also apologize if he was abrupt with them in any way that was inappropriate. It is possible for us to look elsewhere such as overseas for experienced waitstaff to come in and work for a couple of months in the summer and then take off for their home country with their wages but we have chosen to do things differently and I guess in your case it did not work out well for us.
As for the warm temperatures and the closed windows, I do recall coming in to the room and opening some additional windows for you. It was a very warm afternoon and a fan could have been provided had you requested one. The thing is, it doesn't get that warm and uncomfortable that often here in the mountains and, in general, we don't fawn over people asking if they'd like a fan to cool themselves when it gets a little hot. We are a rustic lodge, we do not have central air conditioning and we never will and our guests tend to like it that way. Yet, anyone who is uncomfortable enough can always ask for a fan or can get up and open a window if they'd like and that is fine with us as well.
So I realize that we did not meet the style of service and quality that you were expecting when you came to our restaurant in the mountains of the Adirondacks, and I feel bad about that. If you do come back and see us again next year I expect that we will be better in all aspects of our food, presentation, service and amenities as that is just what we do. But I also expect that our food will still be simple and tasteful, our servers will still be local, we will still be serving Mary Jane's pie for dessert, we still will not have air conditioning or fans all over the place and we still will be proud to describe ourselves as a "Country Kitchen" type of restaurant. If that is what you are looking for, I look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Beautiful scenary and setting for this visit. Adirondack lodge decor. Gorgeous overlook of 13th Lake. Our meals: Prime Rib, Ribs, Chicken all came with nice mixed green side salads. Food was very good. Service was excellent. Definitely will go again and try to get there earlier for a walk as they own hundreds of acres leading down to 13th Lake.

Dear Selake92

Thank you so much for your review of our Log House Restaurant. I'm glad so many like yourself can appreciate what we have to offer at Garnet Hill Lodge. We appreciate the support.

Don Preuninger

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Under new management, GHL has cleaned up it's act and menu. Fish dinner there last week was really fresh, tasty and the appetizers were delicous. The menu was actually very diverse and I'm looking forward to trying the other fare. Desert has always been good and that night was no exception. Great service, really fun.

1  Thank ruth b