“Hotel owner attacked woman on street during shuttle from ferry” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Suites Blue and Spa

Hotel Suites Blue and Spa
Ranked #74 of 80 Hotels in Fira
Calgary, Canada
“Hotel owner attacked woman on street during shuttle from ferry”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Upon our arrival by ferry we took advantage of the hotels shuttle service as it seemed the easiest way to find our way to the hotel. We were led to a van in which my girlfriend, two female friends, another young woman, and myself were seated. This is where the scariest moment of our trip thus far occurred. After turning into Thira, our driver (who hadn’t said much to us the whole time) started driving a little maniacally. This didn’t overly shock me as I have experienced the different driving cultures a couple of times and sporadic driving is quite frequent, even adding to some of the excitement. It was when our driver slammed the breaks on after going down a side road in front of a house, and turned our van around. This part is what I thought was odd, since the man worked for the hotel and it seemed strange that he would have gotten lost on route. After driving for another minute back up the same street we had come, our driver began driving even faster and a bit more sporadic. Again, he slammed on his breaks only this time he got out of our vehicle and walked up to the van he stopped beside. Our driver began screaming at the woman driver and punched and slapped her in the face through the driver’s side window several times until she was bleeding. All of us sat in the van unable to move and stuck in terrified shock without knowing what to do. Eventually the male in the woman’s passenger seat got out of the van and the two men began grabbing at each others clothing and screaming at each other. I’m not entirely sure how it broke up because I was reaching into the back seat to get our luggage so we could get away, but he got back into the van before we could get out and took off in a completely different direction than where he originally took us to begin with. The rest of the car ride involved us five sitting in shock and fear while the driver made phone calls screaming in Greek. All we could hear from the other end of the phone was a female voice crying and screaming back. After we arrived at the hotel, he simply said. “Sorry about that back there. Problems with girl.”

We later learned that our shuttle driver is actually the hotel owner “Andreas” who is in charge of a shuttle service among several hotels in the area. Not only is he putting his customers in danger but nothing was done about it either. His actions were completely unacceptable, regardless of cultural differences and most of our stay here was spent in fear of the out of control owner. Thank you for your time and I genuinely hope that you seriously consider avoiding this hotel for your own safety.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Erik S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

A great Hotel with friendly staff and really nice suite rooms where spotless. management and staff could not do enough to make sure we enjoyed our stay, they leave you to enjoy your time but if you want something or need help they are there with their friendly faces. Great views including the donky's. Great location watching the moon rise In the evening!a great hotel for couples. the pool and pool area really good tasteful like the greeks know how to do.Close enough to Fira but far enough away a short walk 10 minutes through the original streets/paths to the town centre a great experience no need to walk on the roads into town. Get some wine and beers from the supermarket at the top of the street and keep them chilled in the fridge.A car is a great idea if you want to get out and see the island on your own we did better than coach trips no time limits in places and there is plenty to see on the island. There are 4 hotels within the group and we visited 1 for future reference and it was just as clean and friendly. We would and will stay in blue suite again.
Alan & Gina Foster

Room Tip: we saw a few of the rooms and all looked good and clean if you are staying for more than a couple of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlanandGinaF
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is a really nice hotel and the staff are friendly. Our room was lovely - more like a little suite. The hotel is very clean and well kept and the pool area is really nice, too. Breakfast was included, as well. Always a bonus! Check-in was a bit inconvenient as no one was at reception when we got there. Actually, it was locked and we had to call the hotel on our cell to find out what was going on. A sign saying when they would return would have been nice, although there should always be someone at the desk to welcome guests.

We were a bit worried about the airport shuttle when reading other reviews, but we had emailed them a couple of times and also verified while we were there and it was no problem for us getting a drive to the airport.

The hotel was just a short walk into Fira (about 10 minutes), which didn't bother us in the least, as the price was good and so was the hotel. Overall a good stay and we would stay again if we're ever back in Fira!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Winnipeg,Canda
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I wish I had read the reviews first ! A "direct view of the Aegean" is over many desolate acres of donkey pasture in all directions. The meager breakfast is the only food offered on site and the nearest alternatives are a 10-15 minute walk through the country side. A car or quad is a must! As per the owner the nearest beach is Kamari which is about a 20 minute cab ride. Firo, should that be of interest is about 2 kms uphill. The beds are right out of a dollhouse - almost on the floor, narrow and hard. The pool looks so good on the web site that once you see this tiny puddle you are sure you've been dropped off at the wrong place.
There are no redeeming qualities, not even the price. Unless you like solitude and privation .... maybe there's a monastery someplace that does B&B ? We almost spoiled our entire holiday over this place. Fortunately we were wise enough to say "hang the expense" and walked out on our pre-paid stay to another, very lovely place in Kamari.

Room Tip: choose another hoel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HBL54

Travelers are raving about these Fira hotels

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

They offer a pick up at the airport upon request, well i sent three emails prior to my trip, to which i didn't get a reply and no one was there to pick us up, No one greeted us at reception, were very rude not offering any information on the area. upon getting to our room we had to wait in the corridor while they actually cleaned the room, the lights didn't work, power points were hanging out of the wall. They made us move hotels after two nights though I had booked the hotel over 4 months ago, the only upside was the people at the second hotel were lovely though the hotel was substandard to what we had booked. I could say a lot more but you get the picture. I'm fascinated that some people say that they had a good experience staying there.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank kkimpton
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Back in July I booked for a stay at Blue Suites in August. They charged my credit card immediately. The night before we were due to arrive I checked the trip advisor website for this hotel. The same room was going for more than 3 times the price I booked it at. When I showed up the next day they lied to me and told me there was a problem with the actual room and could not rent it to me. They then sent me to one of their other 3 hotels which they claimed was comparable. I went to check it out and it was garbage. I wouldn't even let my neighbours dog stay in it. The pool was the size of a hot tub. When I went back to complain they then told me that they rented my room out to someone else (I am sure it was at the price 3 times plus what I paid for it). They refused to give me another room at Blue Suites and we were left at 7 pm in the evening in our bathing suits (in desperate need of a shower and a good meal) without a hotel to stay at. The woman at the desk was very rude and didn't seem to care at all even when we claimed we would sleep in the lobby of their hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Georgia S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay at this hotel, beautiful big room, awesome pool. 15 minute walk from the town. I'd recommend blue suites and hope to stay again one day. There was nothing to fault with our stay. Staff were very helpful!

• Stayed August 2013