“A tourist trap if I've ever seen one ”
Review of Don & Donna

Don & Donna
Ranked #162 of 187 Restaurants in Fira
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night
Description: From 1984 until today we learned to offer you something that will capture your mind and soul in Santorini.
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“A tourist trap if I've ever seen one ”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

When we checked the reviews for the place before having had the bill we thought this was some kind of cheap trick from another restaurant to take care of competition. We were very wrong. While we were on a morning stroll we fancied a coffee and saw this place which didn't look bad at first. (We didn't check any reviews because we just wanted a drink) we were recommended a special coffee with cactus in it which was alright and I had a chocolate milkshake which was mediocre at most. The only thing nice about this restaurant was the view. In the end we payed 27 euros for 2 coffees and a milkshake and advised all other people sitting at this disgraceful restaurant to leave instantly. I am happy to say many did.

2 Thank Stefan K

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
Seoul, Korea
“Dishonest, unpleasant, this place will ruin your evening”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Avoid. If you walk from Imerovigli to Fira, you might come across this place when Fira is about to start. It advertises "Cactus juice" on signboard, it has desserts on display in a showcase, and fish also on display on a bed of ice.

This is a tourist trap. They will try to entice you to order without showing the menu (so that you don't know their unbelievable price). After you order, your evening/day will be ruined.

I first came to Santorini in 1991 and returned this summer 23 years later. I am of course deeply saddened by the changes that took place in this island over the past two decades.

But this place is just too aweful. It is a disgrace to Santorini and to Greek people.

4 Thank youknowit2
“The worst meal you ever eat - and that is a compliment”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I am sitting on my bed wondering whether or not I should put my finger down my throat to cough up what I just ate.

Like previous contributors have said, we came across this restaurant on our penultimate night in Santorini and thought it would be a nice way to round off the trip.

The warning signs were there when we simply asked to book a table for the following evening, but for some reason we were unfazed by the restauranteur's abrupt rudeness.

The views are breathtaking. This is the sole reason for this restaurant's existence.

I spent 90 Euros on two filet steaks, which weren't filet - they were the worst cut of discarded beef imaginable served with rice and chips, for 32 Euros each! As I write my stomach is gurgling and I'm not certain I will last the night uninterrupted!

We also had to move table because of an infestation of ants which began to crawl up the table.

For some reason, I paid the 90 Euro bill like a cretin without the slightest complaint - when it is usually my policy to complain. I feel cheated, robbed, pillaged, violated. If this was England the place would have been shut down and the proprietors arrested.

The waiters must have been laughing at us and I don't blame them.

One positive: perhaps the biggest lesson I will take is never to go to a restaurant ever again without first looking at the reviews.

A cursory gaze at the preceding reviews has filled my girlfriend and myself both with immense laughter and sadness at having been so easily and avoidably duped and targeted. I imagine illness will ensue.

Never ever go there!!!!!

(this review does not begin to do justice to how bad the place is).

5 Thank CharlesCCI
Singapore, Singapore
“Unbelievably Expensive!, but Fish was actually Best !!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Since displayed fish looked tasty, my wife and I visited this restaurant for dinner. At the beginning, no hall staff brought even menu because they were busy for a lot of guests inside the restaurant. When I was looking at the menu, I found the prices looked more expensive than other restaurant, especially, the price per kg for fish was shown as 60 EUR/kg. The waiter brought four fish which were caught on that day. I asked the weight of the seabass, and he answered approx 2kg. I was hesitating to order a bit because the price of one seabass is, even in luxurious restaurant, up to 60 to 80 EUR. However, since my wife, who did not see the menu, requested a seabass, I ordered this.

Before the seabass came to our table, I checked this restaurant with T.A., and I was surprised at the horrible scores and messages which I had never seen before. Actually, the prices were expensive, and old waiter (could be the owner) pushed his recommendation too much, which made me cautious to this waiter and restaurant. Then, I was scared that I might be invoiced to 3kg of seabass later.
Finally, the big seabass came to us. We were very surprised again because the seabass was actually very delicious! The degree of grill was kind of 'Rare' for the steak, but because the seabass was so fresh, the fish was not smelled rather very tasty.

Although the old waiter's behaviors were not comfortable, the young waiter was very kind and looked diligent, took me to the fish case and explained how to distinguish fresh fish. He pointed out fresh fish with transparent eyes and red gilles which were caught on the day and even low quality fish with white eyes. At the bill, the lady (maybe, family of the owner) explained that every early morning, they catch the fish by fishing rod, and after a few hour sleeps, they opens the restaurant for lunch. As a result, they cannot sleep enough in the summer season. That was an interesting talk for me.

In summary, my evaluation to this restaurant is as follows.
* The price is actually too expensive and should be reduced by at least 30%. The final price for two persons including a bottle of wine, seabass, two appetizer and non-tasty recommended cocktail was 230 EUR. Our average cost for the dinner in Santorini was around half of it.
* We have to be cautious for the old waiter who tried to push as much meals and drinks as possible. He recommended their special cocktail, but it was not good and never worth of 10 EUR.
* Nevertheless, their fish caught on the day was more delicious than other Michelin restaurants just because of their freshness.
* The working people except the old guy were very diligent and friendly. The weight of the seabass was 2150kg, which was almost the same as the young waiter indicated to me. We could actually enjoyed the talks with them.

Although both of the benefits and disadvantages were too extreme, I want to score '4' because of the No.1 seabass which we had ever had, and their efforts to achieve this.

2 Thank YacchanAmarone
Dursley, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Nothing much to say but this place is a total rip off. Ten euros for a small glass of wine. Go on a few metres and go to Porto Carra where you will have a far better time.

Visited July 2014