“Outstanding Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore
“Outstanding Location”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Location and views were excellent. Very helpful staff and clean comfortable and spacious room. Lovely continental breakfast served on the balcony. A few steps to negotiate which not suit all travellers but overall a great place to stay close to the centre of Fira.

Lena R, Manager at Athina Luxury Suites, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review and hope to see you again in Athina Suites soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights whilst the views were amazing and sunsets beautiful the same cannot be said of the room. It appears very little maintenance is being carried out. Room was very small with a very small bathroom. My husband had to fix the shower door I could not slide it!! Shutters on outside broken. Bellboy was amazing he carried our bags up and down the stairs.

• Stayed April 2013
Lena R, Manager at Athina Luxury Suites, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest! Thank you for your review of our hotel! Pity that overall picture was shadowed by room condition. I would love to offer you another room/suite, if you mentioned that during your stay. Hope that you had a good time in Santorini, in general and would return again soon!
Ingolstadt, Germany
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Booking a hotel room in Santorini is a difficult task considering the range of hotels and facilities the place has to offer. We booked Athina Suites only for one night and did not have a lot of expectations, however it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. The steps that we had to climb down seemed nothing when we saw the view and the overall hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and enthusiastic. They offered us a free upgrade to one of their finest suites. The welcome with wine, the neat rooms and the lovely breakfast all were good. Only negative is the room lacks freshness, but that can be totally overcome with everything else this place has to offer. Overall a decent place and a steal at the price that we booked it for.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lena R, Manager at Athina Luxury Suites, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Swapna! I am very glad that you have plesant memories from you stay. Hope you will return for more days in Athina Suites.
Brentwood, Tennessee
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We originally booked another hotel and 2 days prior to our arrival Expedia contacted us to say it was overbooked so we would be staying at the Athina instead. Lena and her staff arranged for someone to pick us up at the airport (10 eruos each) and her staff met us at the top of the cliff to carry our suitcases down what seemed like hundreds of step. (They did the same on the way back to the airport.)

At reception we were offered glasses of a local wine while we completed the paperwork and then were taken to our room. The room shared a balcony with a 2nd room which was not a problem for us. The continental breakfast each morning on the balcony was lovely and was a lot of food. Views from the balcony were beautiful, when it didn't rain.

Lena was extremely helpful and one night when we were too tired to climb the steps again, she had menus of local restaurants and once we had chosen the food she called in the order for it to be delivered to our room. The food was yummy!

When it rained on our last day, she allowed us to stay in the room past the normal checkout time until it was time to catch the shuttle to the airpoirt. During that time we wished that the internet worked in the rooms rather than not just outside reception and we wished there were more TV channels in English. Had it not rained that day we would have had no negative comments about the place.

We would stay here again.

1 Thank D-K B
Thank you for your kind words and beautiful photos! Hope to see you soon in Santorini and, of course, in Athina Suites!
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is by far one of my favorite places on the planet. We love to hike, so the many steps everywhere were not a problem. Cosy rooms, great location, and gorgeous view of the caldera. In Santorini, expect lots of steps and small rooms because of the location. Everything on the caldera is packed together, but just use your terrace with it's gorgeous view as much as possible. That's why you're on the caldera in the first place. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lena R, Manager at Athina Luxury Suites, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear guest! Thank you for your wonderful words. I am very glad that after more then 8 months, you still remember our hotel. Best regards from sunny Santorini!
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Santorini was going to be our second stop on our island hopping adventure in Greece. We knew that we were going to have a once in a lifetime view like no other, so we decided that instead of hiking, boating, walking, shopping, etc., that this would be the part of our adventure when we would splurge on an ulta luxurious room and do absolutely nothing, but enjoy our fantastic view from the balcony while sipping well made drinks. ...Unfortunately, this did not happen.

We hunted for a luxurious room with a fantastic view for months before making this booking. We were disparaged to find that we simply could not afford the kind of room we were hoping for. By chance, I came across the Athina Cliffside Suites Website. It looked fantastic, but again, I could see that it was well beyond our budget for this trip...we had several other Islands, Athens and Olympia yet to go. One night I decided to take another look at the hotel website..even if I was just daydreaming. That's when I noticed that they were having a 50 percent off discount on some of their rooms! I let my fiancee know and waited for a reply. Dadly, due to our busy work schedules, I did not hear back right away, and by the time I did, the sale was over.

I scoured the internet looking for other hotel deals, when I came across the same hotel at a very similar rate on Hotels.com. I booked it immediately. I often book with third party vendors and I never think twice about any potential issues that may arise. After booking, I went back to the internet to read up on more reviews of the hotel. Even at 50% discount, it was still quite expensive for us. I began to read about other travelers who had booked through 3rd party vendors and had arrived to find themselves without a booking. In some cases, they travelers were put into nearby hotels of a lower standard. I called Hotels.com to find out if these were true reports and what would happen if this were to occur on my trip. They informed me that it does happen on very rare occasions, but that they can be reached from any country and if it does, I will be placed into other accomodations at the expense of the original hotel or of Hotels.com. I asked if the replacement hotel would be of the same quality and she informed me that they would do their best to put me into a comporable hotel, but that it all depended on what was available at the time of arrival. She told me that in some cases, they have had to find a lower rated hotel for the guest, but that they offered refunds and other amends in cases like this - which she assured me over and over again, was VERY RARE.

The night before arriving, I sent an email to the hotel to let them know we would be arriving and to see if they offered a shuttle to-from the airport. The next morning, about 2 hours before our departure from Mytellini, we heard back that there was no booking due to "an error or their end", they informed us that they would shuttle us to a different hotel, which was just next door to theirs, for free (there is usually a fee for this) and that they would make up any price difference. I was very concerned, but went forward in good faith that they would find us a COMPORABLE hotel. They had booked us directly next door at the Porto Fira Suites.

When we arrived, I was relieved to find that the Hotel Porto Fira was a beautiful hotel with a gorgeous view and excellent service. I was told that Athina Suites would cover the substantial difference in price between the rooms (remember that I booked Athina at almost half price and Porto Fira was a regular price). I will make a seperate review of the Porto Fira Suites, but here I would just like to say, that I'm not sure why people who book via 3rd parties can sometimes find themselves without a room. I wondered if it was some kind of scam. They get to book the room at a greatly inflated "regular" rate to somebody else, while putting me in a less expensive room that I will probably love just the same? I have no idea. And you, the guest, must hope that an equally beautiful hotel is available at the time of your arrival. Who knows where we might have ended up if the Porot Fira Suites had not had a room available? Maybe it would have been equally fantastic, maybe not. I just don't know.

We did take a walk over to the Athina Suites and have a look around. Although the Porto Fira Suites were very lovely, cave rooms which were built into the cliff/volcanic rock, Athina Sutes did look, at least on the outside a lot more luxurious.

In any event, we were happy with the hotel they found for us and we decided not to worry about the "what-ifs" and just be satisfied that our vacation was not ruined. Especially given that this was supposed to be the most luxurious and beautiful part of our journey. Instead, I choose to thank the Athina Suites for putting us into a lovely room, in the same area where we expected to be - with almost an identical view.

...but be fairly warned that this kind of thing DOES happen at Athina Suites.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LanieFire
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great hotel in Santorini! All rooms have a balcony view with Caldera view. The room we had was a little small but it was just enough! Very clean. Although there is 115 steps to climb from the hotel to the city center! But there are steps everywhere in Fira so you would probably end up having to climb steps unless you stay in the city center without the Caldera view.

Breakfast is served directly at your room. It is delicious: fresh bread, fruits, yogurt, cheese, etc.

One of the only hotels with a swimming pool which is really nice when it's a really hot day. You can swim while looking at the gorgeous Caldera.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family