“Spacious room with a view”
Review of El Greco

El Greco
Ranked #19 of 81 Hotels in Fira
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Our room was spacious and overlooked the pool. Since there were three of us, one of us had to sleep on a day-bed type which was very hard and uncomfortable so we took turns over the three nights. The breakfast buffet was good. The room was clean and the location is good, about a 10 minute walk to the town and there is a sidewalk so you're not walking in the street.

There are three nice pools.

They are very stingy with their towels and often run out because they use the same (small, raggedy) towels for pool towels.

The desk staff was not very helpful and ignored people waiting while they answered the phone. Our tour guide left some tickets for us at the desk but the desk staff didn't know they were there. I had to demand that they look for them while our bus was waiting for us, blocking traffic in the street. They won't give you more than one key.

• Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank Island_Hopper2733
Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed June 17, 2007

My best friend and I spent 3 nights at El Greco while on Santorini for a friend's wedding. We ended up at El Greco after another hotel in Fira "lost" our reservation the night before we left the US. The rates at El Greco were higher, but since others in the wedding party were staying there as well, it worked out pretty well for us.

The hotel does, indeed, have a beautiful exterior - the lobby, the pools, the separate little "cottages" around the property. The guy working the front desk during our stay was always very helpful and nice to deal with. Breakfast each morning was worth getting out of bed for - of course, you can count me in at any buffet serving Greek yogurt and honey! Yum! The pools were fantastic with plenty of chairs for everyone, towels available and good music playing. The location of the hotel was perfect, as it was far enough away from Fira to escape from the cruise ship madness, but close enough to walk in for shopping/dining.

We had a triple room that included a sitting area and kitchenette and plenty of room for us to spread out - which was a nice change after being cooped up in smaller hotels during our first week in Greece. Our balcony overlooked the pool, instead of the caldera/road at the front of the hotel, but was beautiful nonetheless. The bathroom was a decent size, although the towels were kind of worn and there were very few amenities offered. Rooms were kept clean and well-maintained and we never had a problem with noise. Internet was pricey, but we found that to be true everywhere in Fira.

Overall, El Greco was a good experience - I'd have no problem staying there again, although I'd kind of like to stay cliffside next time just to check out all the hype.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in May. We told our travel agent to get us as close to the water as possible. We were excited when he told us about the excellent location.

When we arrived, we were quickly checked in and our bags brought to our room which was overlooking the pool with loud music. Oh no, I thought to myself, this doesn't look good.

The room was fair, at best. My husband, a painter by trade, noticed right away the terrible smell of mould from the bathroom. Above the shower was black with mould. I'm not sure I understand why; it was closed all winter - this could be fixed very quickly.

The breakfast we had was good. The positive things about this hotel is the view of the caldera right across the street and the fact that it is a 5 - 10 minute walk into Fira - close enough that you can see the action and far enough away to get some rest.

I would definitely class this hotel as a 2.5 or 3 star at best. it is DEFINITELY not a 4 star.

Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank Mags-Loves-Greece
Reviewed June 8, 2007

5 of us stayed at the El Greco for 3 days at the end of an independant tour sponsored by Tourlite International. We found the layout of the buildings quite charming. It resembles a small village around a pool, bar and restaurant. Our rooms were quite large as we requested one double and one triple. The Beds were very firm but after a full day in Fira and Oia we did not care. The Staff was extremely friendly to us and helped in any way they could. The Bathrooms were large & clean and had ample towels but, could've provided better toiletries. Both Rooms had either a terrace or balcony which captured the soft Island breeze. We used the Pool Bar and had delicious cocktails and the bartender was enjoyable to speak with in my broken Greek and his broken English. The restaurant was lovely and service was quick and efficient. We all enjoyed our last meal on the Island together. As far as location, it is perfect because it is far enough away from the city of Fira so you are not up all night with the partiers but close enough to walk to town. When I return to Santorini, I will definitely stay here again. We felt lucky when we spoke to others on our tour and they opted to stay in town and their hotel had many stairs in which they carted their luggage up and down. The El Greco has ramps to the different levels of rooms that helped with the roll-away luggage.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank SAKISH1
Reviewed June 7, 2007

The pictures this hotel advertises in their promotions are over rated,
The first room we were put in looked on to a dirt parking lot and was on the very busy road. The room was mediocre. The safe wasnt bolted down and it was a 1-2 star. We complained and got moved to a better room the next night that was overlooking the gardens at the back. It was much better but not like the pictures.
Breakfast was okay only. Nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank Trustmetotravel
Reviewed June 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the El Greco bed and breakfast for one week. The hotel reception and staff were really nice but our room was like a dungeon! We had large damp patches and mould on the bedrooms walls. The bedroom was huge and only had a bed, single wardrobe and dressing table all mis- matched. Towels had a strange smell about them. Bathroom was small but clean and suffice. The breakfast was awful. Tinned fruit, black and yellow scrambled eggs, olives, cheese and of course bread. Lots of Americans staying and lots made complaints. It is classed as 4 star but as we all know in Greece 4 star is probably on 2 stars which is what I would grade it. The pool area I have to say was very pleasant and immaculate. I must add that we had terrible weather - rain, rain and more rain. When it did not rain it was very windy. The island is a must for all to see. It is so beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank CazNorthumberlandUK
Reviewed June 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the El Greco for the last 3 nights of a Greek Island Hopper tour organised by Trafalgar Tours. We had been expecting at least 4 star accomodation, but the the room we were assigned was disgusting. The bed (I slept on top the first night) was very basic, walls had been patched, paintwork was rough, furnishings were cheap, bathroom needed to be renovated, curtains were cheap material and the TV controller was broken at the rear (batteries kept falling out).. There was no decent outside seating and the view from our door was facing a a wall. I was appalled (room should be a store room). Complained immediatedly to management and was informed that they had accidently overbooked all their accomodation. (Not my problem I thought). To the managements credit, we were upgraded to a better room the next morning out the front overlooking the Caldera. This experience was echoed by 2 other couples also on our tour and were also upgraded after making complaints. The room one couple had been given didn't have any windows. The outside areas are clean and well laid out. I found the staff very friendly and helpful at all times. Restaurant was neat and clean. Food selection and quality surprisingly good.
In conclusion, this is a pleasant stay (2-4 star) depending on room position. My recommendation is to confirm room quality and location (front and rear villas are the better deal). Proximity to Fira....excellent.....5 min walk.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple