“Panoramic luxury”
Review of Villa Renos

Villa Renos
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Fira
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This hotel is our biggest boast of "good finds" after several years of regular travel around Europe, from our London base. It's a fantastic dollop of luxury perched on one of the world's famously scenic views, with a hot tub on the private balcony! I was looking for something special in the Greek Islands, as a surprise celebration for our first wedding anniversary - at Villa Renos I struck gold.

We're normally fairly simple travellers - but this is fantastic value for money and worth spending a bit more for a luxurious, personal stay with a stunning view over the volcanic islands. Importantly, it's a small family-run hotel that is very friendly and offers scrumptious breakfasts with lots of home-grown produce, from the family's plot that they farm on the eastern side of Santorini. The homemade fig jam, Greek pasty treats, honey balls, scrambled eggs from the family chickens, crepes, freshly squeezed orange juice and fresh coffee were just some of the fare on offer.

As I planned this surprise trip in March (my husband was told to pack his bags and he'd find out where he was going at the airport!) some Greek travel agents were negative about us travelling in the off-season and unhelpful. But then my husband's step-mum (an Aussie travel agent) told me about this marvelous hotel on Santorini - Hotel Villa Renos - and said I must get there. She suggested planes would be flying daily, even if the ferries weren't regular at that time of the year.

A transport strike in Athens could have ruined the start of our holiday, but that Vassilis Matekas, the owner of Hotel Villa Renos, had the foresight to email and warn of the strike the night before our arrival, and guide us through to the right ferry company after we confirmed that indeed our flight had been cancelled. (Olympic Airlines sold us the ticket that day, without warning us of the impending strike). Without the thoughtfulness of Hotel Villa Renos, we would have wasted a lot of money on Athens' taxis and lost a full day. This is why personal contact with a family hotel makes all the difference to the success of a holiday. Email: hrenos@otenet.gr

On arrival we were given a warm welcome and extra consideration to make us feel special on our anniversary. Vassilis was readily available for local advice and assistance throughout our stay. While I appreciate it must be superb in summer, it was actually very interesting holidaying on Santorini in the off-season. We took to the roads on a scooter and four-wheeler (I had no previous experience) and it was great fun exploring without hordes of tourists around.

Hotel Villa Renos is located in the prime location on Fira overlooking the caldera, at the top of the tight matrix of cobblestone paths - fascinating for walks with stunning views. It's hardly surprising, but a highlight at the end of each day was to watch the sun set over the island-dotted ocean, enjoying a glass of wine in the hot tub, on our own balcony.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roachielondon

Reviewed April 8, 2008

Me and my wife stayed in Villa Renos for 3 nights during this April for our honeymoon. We traveled to Santorini without booking - and after checking out couple of hotels, Villa Renos was the last one we checked out and immediately made a decision to stay here. It is done very well and is quite a modern hotel and far much better than the other hotels in Fira where rooms look like caves and are suffocating. The rooms at Villa Renos are nice and very comfortable. We had a private balcony overlooking the sea and ofcourse the volcano and caldera. Balcony was big with fantastic views. This is a family run hotel and the owner and his son Vassilis were very helpful and sweet to us. Vassilis also helped us book our airline tickets which we were having a lot of problems with. The breakfast served in the mornings were great and we personally couldnt have asked for anything better for our stay in Santorini. This hotel is highly reccommended for nice enjoyable stay in Santorini.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eternity14
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I was on my own in Santorini for a short holiday and happened to find Villa Renos when I arrived. Lucky me, as the place and especially Vassilis really made my stay!

The rooms and bathrooms are nice and have clearly been redone recently, everything is very neat and good quality. I don't watch TV, but TV lovers will really enjoy the plasma screens. Each room has its own, quite large, terrace, and these are the perfect place for relaxing and enjoying the caldera views that Fira is so justifiably famous for! At least one of the terraces also comes with its own private jacuzzi. . .

As the stairs down to the hotel and within the hotel are quite steep, this would be a difficult hotel for older or disabled travelers (or those with lots of luggage!) but for any able bodied traveler it won't be a problem at all. No pool, but the terraces have room enough for sunbathing and for me this wasn't an issue.

Breakfast is entirely homemade and is excellent. Also, Vassilis was able to recommend great places to eat- I'm generally a bit suspicious of hotel-recommended restaurants but the ones he suggested were excellent.

All in all, I would highly recommentdVilla Renos to anyone coming to Santorini- the rooms/terraces are great and the staff are fantastic.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank khoff77
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Villa Renos was a fantastic choice for my mom and I. We stayed for two nights, and we enjoyed ourselves a great deal! The staff was super friendly and helpful (especially with our luggage); breakfast was homemade and delicious (especially the fried balls with honey and sesame seeds!); and the views from our room of the caldera were literally unbeatable.

The owner clearly renovated recently, and the amenities--such as the large screen plasma tv and the heating pads on the mattress--were an unexpected bonus.

I highly recommend this hotel to future guests--you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank jms362
Reviewed March 22, 2008

This hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, the rooms were a large, and the entire atmosphere was welcoming.

We were thrilled that the hotel was closer to the top of the cliff. We saw LOTS of hotels stories below, and knew we wouldn't be happy campers having to trek all the way down there with our suitcases.

Breakfast was good too. Not amazing stuff, but all tasty and served with a smile!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank veggie_tourist
Reviewed January 26, 2008

The 5 days and nights I spent there with my family will live on in our memories and we'll have to live on those memories until we can come back. Petros and Vassilis made our stay exceptional along with their terrific staff.

Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank mumbairaj
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Vassilis and his father went beyond the call of duty in making me feel welcome at Villa Renos. They were fully booked for part of the time I stayed there, and so they arranged for me to stay just below in Studios Calderas (much cheaper, but still a fabulous view!). The food at Villa Renos was fabulous, the room was perfectly acommodated, and the view of the Caldera stunning from every room in the hotel. The hotel is built into the cliff and is nearly vertical, so it would be quite difficult to reach if you do not have high mobility. The hotel is in a 300 year old building but was remodeled by the owners recently so it feels brand new. The view from the deck is 180 degrees. As in all of the Caldera side of Santorini, the hotel is surrounded by other hotels & you can hear the sounds of night clubs at night and the clip clop of donkeys in the morning going down the path just below the hotel (just outside my window since I had a room at the bottom of the hotel). But those wishing to stay in the vibrant tourist center of Santorini will do quite well if they choose to stay at Hotel Villa Renos.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank pairadocs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fira
Porto Fira Suites
#3 of 80 in Fira
Lilium Villas Santorini
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
Evgenia Villas & Suites

Been to Villa Renos? Share your experiences!