“Assyrtico Has It All”

Ranked #48 of 189 Restaurants in Fira
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: ASSYRTICO Wine Restaurant cafe, since 2011, offers alternative and innovative suggestions of the Greek Cuisine, using mainly local and selected products from around Greece. The same philosophy inspired the restaurant's wine list. A wide variety of wines from Santorini and the rest of Greece can be explored with the help of the professional staff of the restaurant! In 2016 Assyrtico relocated and moved from the 1st floor to the Garden of the'60s mansion it was based.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Exquisite view of the caldera, excellent food, reasonable prices, and attentive wait staff. In our four days on Santorini, we dined here twice: our first and last meal. The Santorini salad (their version of a Greek salad) was so yummy. The salmon with lemon sauce
was the best I've had. Our table overlooked the caldera and the incomparable Santorini architecture.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Great location overlooking the Caldera although our highlight was the food quality and great service.

We had a light lunch here and enjoyed the food so much we booked for dinner the following night.

We ate inside the restaurant which is fully non smoking and air conditioned with good background music. The service was friendly and attentive and we received a great local wine recommendation which suited our food selection.

Would highly recommend the gruyere cheese with fig marmalade for starter

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Nicely located near the centre of Fira, this place has a nice view of the caldera but only limited seating outside, so if you are inside you cannot see much.

The service is a bit odd, I think we hit a moment when the waiter (who is from Crete!) was hoping to get an afternoon off, which, considering it was nearing the end of the season, he probably deserves by now! There was only one other couple eating when we arrived, by the time we left there were four more....

The restaurant is above street level which means it is a bit less noisy than some and you do get an un-interrupted view of the volcano.

I wouldn't say the menu is very imaginative because it is not, but when the food arrives it is nicely presented and very edible and the portions for a lunchtime are more than adequate. I had a large chicken salad with plenty of salad and chicken in it so by the time I had finished I had had enough to eat but not stuffed!

I get a bit suspicious when salads already have dressing on them as I am not fond of vinegar but in this case it was excellent, nice and 'rich' with a bit of bite to it without it smelling like it should be on fish and chips. At €12.50 it was not cheap, but it does represent much better value than the Club Sandwich at €9 a go which I had on a previous visit to Santorini in June in another place just along the road!

My companion had risotto with tomato and herbs which included fennel and dill, neither of which are favourites of mine, but the blend was subtle and not overdone in any particular direction.

Bread is extra which I find a bit annoying, but it was fresh and not too crusty with a good flavour and don't be put off by the odd colouring that Greek bread has sometimes, it looks grey, it is only the type of grain that is used to make it.

The glass of the local Assyrtico white wine with the risotto was superb although the measure seemed a bit small to me, I always think that if they are going to be a bit mean with the measures then they should use smaller glasses...My Cola Light came with a slice of lemon even though I said 'No Lemon'!

The bill for the two of us? €38. Considering this is Santorini that's not too bad and as I said above represents better value than a Club Sandwich, and this was belated birthday treat outing for the day!

Just in case this sort of price worries you and looks a bit over the top of your budget, you can find cheaper places to eat. Even in the middle of Fira there area couple of 'taverna' type places serving traditional Greek dishes at traditional Greek prices!

I have marked it down a bit on service but you may find it different when you visit!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

With so many places to choose from this is not the best. Both pasta dishes we had were tasty, so no complaints there. But it was a quiet night and the waiting staff were all hovering around looking lost. The overall atmosphere was just too clinical and not friendly enough.

1  Thank brendamiles3
Reviewed September 23, 2012

One of a number of Restaurants with a view of the Sea at lunch and sunset by night. The service is very good but the food doesn’t reach the heights of the surroundings. A tall pleasant building in Oia; however, it joins the group of slightly over-priced Restaurants with good presentation but forgettable dishes: the starters of Fava (bland and watery in consistency) and Fried cheese (as chewy as gum) were followed by a disappointing Mushroom Risotto although a decent Leg of Lamb. Wine list was over-priced.