“Breathtaking”

Petit Palace Suites Hotel
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Fira
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The moment you walk into Petit Palace it will take your breath away. We felt very special staying at this hotel. All the rooms face the sea and you have your own private balcony where you can enjoy sunset and even have breakfast served there! The hotel is very new so it's very clean and modern but still with some traditional features. We have rented a car from the moment we landed and I would highly recommend doing so. Fira is not walking distance but trust me you don't want to be staying in Fira. It's too busy and loud. Petit Palace is positioned further from Fira which makes it more private. We tried the food in the restaurant and it was very good. In fact we shouldn't have bothered eating out in Fira as it's hard to find good restaurants there (the only good place we found was Naoussa Tavern). Petit Palace has views of volcano, hot springs and Thirassia which is rare and unique. It's pretty cool to watch the ships and cruises sailing by. The pool is big enough and you always have free sun beds. We watched sunset from the lounge area one night instead of our room and it was breathtaking. We are staying in Oia right now and I would say that you can have as beautiful sunset in Fira as Oia. The staff were very friendly - specially the man at the reception and the person that served us breakfast every morning on our balcony. The cleaners did a great job too! We loved staying here and we would definitely come back again. We will never forget the beautiful views from our room!

1  Thank Martina_Rob

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Petit Palace needs to improve in some areas in order to be a 4 star resort. I have stayed at quite a few 4 and 5 star resorts/hotels and this does not fit the bill of a 4 star and is far from a 5 star.
First the positives. This resort is in a beautiful location. The view is breath taking, the rooms are well designed and properly maintained. If I was only writing this review on a view, location and our room, this hotel would have a 5 rating.
We had several issues with the front desk staff at check-in, during our stay and at check-out. They gave us a room that was a class lower than what we paid for. When we questioned the person at front desk about it, he was defensive, rude and said that he allowed us to check-in early, so he didn't have to give us the room we paid for. He didn't want to deal with us. After showing his co-worker our confirmation with the name of the room, we were finally moved.

During our stay we had to ask for 1 extra pillow 3 times. We asked the girl that works the overnight shift twice and the cleaning staff once and on the third request they brought the pillow. Most resorts/hotels have extra pillows on the bed or in the closet. It seemed strange to me that they kept saying that they had to check that they had enough pillows for everyone.

During check-out we had to deal with the same rude person who checked us in initially. He seemed to be still upset that we questioned the room he gave us on check-in. He was rude with me once again and didn't offer to help carry our bags up the 3 flights of stairs. I asked about extra charges to our room labelled under "Bacardi Rum" and he started yelling at me and waving his finger, telling me "...no, no, no". After looking over the bills, I concluded that they don't have a charge in their system for "taxi", so they label in under bottles of liquor (i.e. Bacardi Rum). This is sketchy.

The cleaning staff always cleaned the room late in the afternoon. Usually between 2pm - 4pm. On our last day they came by at 3:45pm and I asked them to come by later since we were getting ready for dinner. They told me their shift ends at 4pm, so they can't.

The staff that delivers breakfast was very pleasant and polite. The front desk staff should take some tips.

Tip: if you are flying in/out of Santorini don't ask the hotel to take care of your taxi. They charged us 25 euros each way. We found out afterwards that the fair for 2 people is between 10 - 15 euros. I am not sure what they are doing with the remaining money, but I don't like the fact that they don't allow you to deal with the taxi company directly and they seem to be making profit off of customers for transportation to/from the airport.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Petit Maison. It is worth it.
6  Thank veclempt
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The location and the design of the hotel is nothing less than perfect! But... this hotel is nowhere near the 5-star rating. My husband and I were there for 4 nights for our honeymoon.

Pros:
- Amazing views and perfect location!!!
- Gorgeous private pools and deck! (we stayed in the petit maison)
- The hotel is well kept, clean and has modern decor.
- Breakfast is plentiful and is served in the room.

Cons:
- Customer service and attitude! We reserved the petit maison but upon arrival, were given the honeymoon suite. After verifying our confirmation information (which thankfully, we had printed out to bring with us), we addressed the issue with the overnight reception clerk. He was extremely rude and we were given unnecessary attitude. Unfortunately, I did not get the name of this man that left the sour taste in our mouths but when we showed him that we were supposed to be in the petit maison, he shook his piece of paper and said with an attitude "this is all we get and we let you in early". Yes, the room was ready when we arrived and we were let in before the regular check-in time but the point is that we had reserved (and paid in full) for the petit maison. Good thing the reception clerk on day duty intervened, looked up our reservation in the computer and escorted us to the correct room.
- We were told, when we booked, that we would be getting welcome wine and fruit upon our arrival. When we asked about this being included in the room, we were advised that we weren't supposed to get any. The next day, a staff member told us there was a mix up and brought us our wine.
- There were only two standard sized pillows on the king-sized bed. When we asked for one additional pillow for my husband, we were told that there weren't any more available. We asked again on our second night and were told that extra pillows were only given to guests that requested them. We then told the clerk that we had already requested an additional pillow the night before and were brought one later that evening.
- Toiletries weren't re-filled and we were only left one large towel (for showering) a couple of days in a row. I went to the pool area to grab another one, which was easier than dealing with the early morning reception staff.

It is unfortunate that this beautiful hotel has such poor customer service. I felt like we were annoying the staff by requesting simple services that were supposed to be included in our stay. I will return to Santorini because the island is amazing but I will not be staying at the Petit Palace!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JillyBean18
Reviewed September 16, 2012

To be sure, this is a really nice hotel, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that it was overpriced.

Great pool, yes. Great views, yes. Great location, not so much. It's a rather unenjoyable 20-minute walk along the busy main road to get into the main town; apart from that, there really isn't much nearby that's worth exploring.

The rooms are generally well-appointed, but they charge astronomical fees for anything in the mini bar and you would have to take out a second mortgage to do your laundry. I'm not sure if it's the same in all rooms, but ours didn't have a shower -- only a bathtub. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but again, I would like a shower for such a high price. Not to mention that the rooms are built directly under the main road, so you can hear the hum of the cars in the night. Also, I'm not sure who chose the color palette of the rooms, but there's some questionable judgment there.

Overall, it's a nice place and the service was good, but it was far and away the most expensive place we stayed on our tour of Mykonos, Naxos and Santorini and was also our least favorite. Perhaps I'm projecting some of my opinion on Santorini itself, which I found overrated once you've seen the view of the caldera, but this price would have been more palatable if it were closer to town.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brad A
Reviewed September 4, 2012

A-M-A-I-Z-I-N-G !!!
we are a couple from Israel, we stayed at the Petit palace hotel in the "petit maison" room (2 floors vila) for 4 nights. it was unbelievable! unbelievable room! with unbelievable view (definitely the best in the island!). although everybody is talking about the famous sunset in Oia city, the room has the most beautiful sunset in the island!, loved evrey second! very friendly and helpfull crew! very tasty breakfast served to your upper floor terrace in your room, you get a list of food to choose from and you order everything you want a night before. the amount to order is unlimited and free of charge. if u dont want to eat at your room you can choose to eat at the hotel dining room. breakfast is between 8:00-11:30.
we did not have transportation problems since we rented a car, which we recommend to do, though the hotel do have a shuttle service. a car will upgrade your trip in santorini!
the privte pool is amaizing with amaizing view! we recommend to bring an inflatable water mattress!
the jacuzzi is HUGE! its pictures does not do justice with it! it is a jacuzzi for 4 people! it could easily contain more!
there are 2 toilets in the room, 1 in the main bathroom next to the bedroom and 1 in the upper floor. so if you seat in the terrace in the 2nd floor u dont need to go down for it...
there are 2 television, 1 in the bedroom and 1 on the 2nd floor, they are both a bit small but then again waching tv will be a waste of time in that kind of a room...
the vacation was a birthday surprise for my couple and he literally dropped his jaw and remained speechless!
most definitely we will be coming back!!!

Room Tip: if you can affored it, book the "petit maison" room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel is located far from city bustle and noise, in one of the most beautiful places with a tremendous view of a volcano and a decline. Thus it is possible to reach Fira in 25 minutes on foot or in 5 minutes by a taxi (cost of 5 euros). Very quiet, romantic situation. In this hotel it is possible to admire infinitely a view of a volcano and a decline both anybody and anything won't prevent you. In five minutes of steps from hotel there is a minimarket, the Mexican small restaurant and a bakery, but it not wanted to us to leave hotel in the first day of our travel and we preferred to have dinner at hotel restaurant. A good choice of dishes, it is tasty and at the democratic prices with a fine view of a caldera. The modern and interesting design of numbers, spacious bathrooms. Work of the personnel deserves the highest assessment. On a reception the pleasant, polite and benevolent guys, ready to help, tell about the island and vicinities. It would be desirable to come back to this hotel many times.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous! The views are incredible. Beautifully designed, staff really friendly and helpful. Rooms are lovely, food really nice and all in all the hotel is top quality and worth paying for. You won't be disappointed. Great location too

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple