My husband and I stayed here as part of our anniversary trip to Santorini. We stayed first at the La Maltese which really set a high bar in terms of excellence and what a five star hotel should be like (and I will write a separate, glowing review on that property). We then came to Astro Palace and while the hotel is nice and new, the property and/or rooms are lacking in several respects.
1. The "gym," as previously mentioned, is a dump. It's a small, dank, dark room with 3-4 machines.
2. The morning breakfast is something that one would expect to receive from a Doubletree or a Holiday Inn Express. Both solid hotel chains, but not five star hotels. There were cold cuts, cheeses, some different types of eggs, seriously undercooked bacon, sausage that looked and tasted like cheap sausages that I could buy in the U.S. easily, and spanikopita/tiropita. Decent variety, but as mentioned, not five star quality.
3. Housekeeping was a joke. We left for a sailing trip at 9am and returned around 4pm. Our room had yet to be cleaned. Housekeeping did not arrive until past 5pm, but at that point, we were relaxing and getting ready to go out for the evening, so it would have been intrusive to come in. There's no reason to take that long to clean rooms in any hotel.
4. The air conditioning was highly insufficient. We turned on the air and even left one room key in the slot to keep the air running at all times and all that happened was that our room turned slightly swampy. The air temperature in the room was OK between about 2am-9am, but before and after those times, it was muggy. This might have to do with the fact that we were in a jacuzzi room and they didn't provide a cover for the jacuzzi which likely exacerbates the problem. We called after one day of rainforest humidity and asked for them to fix it or to be moved to another room. We were told the hotel was full, but they would send a technician. We waited in the room for 2 hours for a technician and no one showed up. Mind you, our room location should have been one of the cooler rooms because it did not receive morning or afternoon sun at all.
5. The jacuzzi is nothing more than a lukewarm tub in your room. The jets turn off maybe every 2 minutes and there's no way to make the water warmer. In addition, the tub had clearly not been cleaned in a while because I saw mildew and mold in the corner of the tub.
6. The bed is hard as a rock. After 2 nights in the bed, my back hurt.
Overall, the hotel is OK. Not five stars. Not four stars. Maybe a 3 star hotel? But at this rate, it is not worth it. There are better hotels to be had.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Astro Palace Hotel and Suites with private pool is a new hotel built in 2010 located in Fira town. All rooms have sea view and half of the rooms have also a private pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Astro Palace Hotel and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Astro Palace Hotel Fira
- Astro Palace Hotel And Suites Santorini/Fira