“CAUTION! DO NOT STAY HERE! We got stolen from by their staff!”
Review of Solaris

Solaris
Ranked #66 of 81 Hotels in Fira
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I would like to caution every traveller against this hotel. I have been travelling for years and never in my life have I had such a bad and shocking experience. I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on the 10th and 11th of July 2013. Everything was fine when my friends and I checked in; 4 of us in total.On the morning of 11th July, we called the reception to ask someone to fix the washroom door as the handle had broken (it was already loose when we got there). The guy who came to fix it got the job done in 10 min and left and we left the room after him to go explore Santorini. In a rush, my friend and I left without putting our handbags with our foreign currency into the safe (not sure if they even have one)! We brought out only some euros with us as we felt its safer and left the rest of our money in our room. We spent the entire day out and got back to the hotel at almost 11pm and found that our room had been cleaned and bags shifted but we didn't think much of it. The next day we took a noon ferry out to another island and on the ferry my friend opened her handbag to purchase a coffee and found that a 100 dollar US bill was missing. The rest of us checked our handbags as well and I discovered a 100 dollar Canadian bill was missing from my wallet. This thief stole one bill each from us, leaving the rest in our wallets probably thinking we wouldn't notice if one goes missing but we did realize it; we do keep count of our money as it is hard earned! Upon arriving at our next hotel, my other friend who is a make up artist opened her bag and found 3 of her palettes of make up missing. We immediately called Hotel Solaris and spoke to Anastasia at the reception and explained what had happened and she basically denied everything and did not offer to do anything to help us let alone investigate or question the staff! She informed us that a young woman named Maria cleaned our room but she did not question her over the missing money and items. I am not sure if the housekeeping staff stole from us or if this is a scam involving ALL of the staff at Hotel Solaris. For all we know, they could have gone through our luggage to see what little items they could steal without us noticing! Either way, this has left such a bad impression in my mind of this hotel. I discourage any traveller from going here as you will get robbed by the very people who you should be able to trust! Hotel Solaris, shame on you and your staff.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank TiGi1987
TravelingTheWorld673, Manager at Solaris, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear TiGi1987, we were very surprised with your review. We are sorry to hear about your experience at the hotel. We are a family-run business and all our staff are hard-working and honest people that maintain the highest level of pride and integrity in servicing our guests. We have never had any reports of theft at the hotel in the past, we take guest safety very seriously and safes are installed in all rooms as well as at our 24h reception. Lastly, we can assure you there is no scam amongst our staff in the manner you have described, and if you have any further concerns kindly contact us directly.

Yours sincerely
The Management

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The rooms were very clean, comfortable and well kept. The rooms have a nice homely feel to them and we were quite happy to be in our room when we weren't out and about on the Island. As a young couple this hotel had everything, it wasn't too loud and their weren't any late night partiers carrying on. The breakfast was very nice but be prepared for a traditional Greek breakfast of fruits, cold meats, cereals and yoghurt, which we really enjoyed. The only downside is the transfers the hotel charges a ridiculous amount for transfers around the Island which we haven't encountered at any other hotel in our journey, they have either been free or not priced so highly. The other downside to this stay was the receptionist, we booked tour on her recommendation, she knew very little of this tour we were going on, all the information she gave us turned out to be completely incorrect, and she forgot to book us into the tour and when we asked if it arrives at 10, the same lady who sold us the tour advised "what tour" which we didn't appreciate. Apart from the very average tour and tour recommendation we would stay at this hotel again, just no tours.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew J
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Amazing service at the front desk, the room wasn't like the one pictured/advertised on the website however great stay and very close to town. Breakfast included which was a plus so I would advise others to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kiwilee2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

One of the best hotels I have ever visited!!!! Very friendly and warm stuff like nowhere else!! Perfectly clean!! Huge pool and a great service at the pool-bar, with relaxing music and amazing cocktails!!!! I would definitely recommend it!!!!! Just visit it, and you won't regret it!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kostikas_13
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The staff were amazing, couldn't fault them. Drinks on arrival were lovely and service out by the pool was excellent. The pool was amazing and happy hour cocktails by the pool were great. . The room was lovely and the the bathrrom wa brand new. Cost of transfer from the airport was 15 Euro.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Tamara C
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was very pleased with these apartments. I came to Santorini with a group of 4 girls in high season, we decided to book the loft style 2br apartment. Our view was overlooking the pool, other than that, there was not much else to look at but dirt. The pool was HUGE and the staff at the pool bar were great. Our room was clean and a decent size. The bathroom was large and there was enough space to store 4 luggage bags. In terms of distance to main town, it's not far at all. I wouldn't reccommend this place for families with young children as the walk is up-hill. However, we being 4 girls in our early 20's had no struggles at all - perhaps a 200mtr walk to the main shops and nightclubs. We hired quad bikes for the 3 nights so we only did the walk occassionally, I reccommend doing this. Would highly reccommend Solaris Hotel and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I didn't get to have a squiz at the other rooms, I suggest the loft style 2br apartments.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex R
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The rather negative experience we had with this hotel, has probably to do with the high season. We were welcomed by the friendly staff, but were given a room which I honestly believe was a former storage room, just behind the reception. It had a window the size of an A4paper and the table and two chairs in front of the door which supposed to be the "balcony". It was a dark small space where there was just enough space to open door and not hit the bed. Probably the first time in our travelling history we asked another room,which was given without a problem. This one was in the basement, smelled like humid, had only a TL lamp, a window a little bigger then the previous and a shared terras (still under ground level) with the other room in the basement, with only one (dirty) table and 4 chairs for two rooms. We were a bit dissapointed, but there was no other room available. The contrast with the other rooms with a large window,private balcony and a view and with the pictures on the website was could not be bigger, also in view of the price we paid. It is not a nice when you feel that they are try to fill up every available room (or what can act like one) despite of customer satisfaction and give you the badest room maybe because you are young and or stay "only" 2 nights. We were not the only ones switching rooms and being unsatisfied. Next to this, everything was very clean, bathrooms brand new and luxurious for greece, great pool and basic but fine breakfast. Location good just outside the crowded Fira with a 5 minute walk.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dahliacouple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fira
0 mi away
#9 of 15 in Karteradhos
Milos Villas
Milos Villas
#52 of 81 in Fira

Been to Solaris? Share your experiences!