“4 reasons to stay here”

Ranked #36 of 50 Fira B&B and Inns
Murmansk, Russia
“4 reasons to stay here”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Attractive design: many small details creating high spirits. Comfortable location: just near Main square from where you can get to Oia, Periissi, harbour etc. , Low price: you can compare. Benevolent housekeeper.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank VadimM67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lanzarote, Spain
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We planned to stay 2 nights but ended up staying 5. Our ferry arrived very late at night in the port, we checked the possiblities for transfer and after being told a taxi would be 15 euros we realized that the bus schedule is adjusting to ferry arrival times, a bus to fira costing only about 2,60€ each.
Once we arrived in Fira we did not have an orientation and got lost, as we could not find the place we rang in the middle of the night to the contact number we had.
Toula was very helpful and she explained how to get there so that we could finally find it, in fact it is very close to the bus station and very conveniently located.
The place is hidden in a back street of the main plaza, so you will experience some occasional noise from the party crowd.
The room was small and cosy but very correct for the price we payed. There was a bottle of free water in the fridge and the wifi was fast and efficient at all times.
Breakfast was great, everyone sitting together like a family in the main yard. The bread was delicious and there was butter, jam, cake and a plate of local cheese and some ham and salami as well as the small tomatoes grown on Santorini.
Once you are there for a few days you get a bit bored of the breakfast and miss the fruit and yoghurt but you can always buy and add to your breakfast wich we did.
We also missed a proper coffe as we had the nescafe stuff which wasn't my thing being Italian.
There are very good options closeby if you like to have a change for breakfast but we sticked to this place because of the friendliness of Mary and Toula as they were really their best to make this place feel like a home away from home.
They are also very flexible here. We decided on the day if we wanted to stay or leave and whenever the room availble it was fine with them, they even kept the same rate for me although the rate had actually changed.
The bed was the only reason why I propably wouldn't come back as for me having problems with the back it wasn't comfortable. But I really recommend this place to anyone looking for a good budget option in Fira.
Fira is amazing and it is very convenient to stay here as there good bus connections to everywhere whilst if you are staying in a different town you will need the car for sure to see all the island. We only had a car for one day to explore the places off the beaten track.
Thank you Mary and Toula for your great hospitality!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Tx
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This review is more about the staff than the hotel itself, since I didn't get to stay in the actual hotel.

When I arrived in Fira, the hotel owner wasn't there. I didn't realize that check-in is from 8am-noon, and than again from 6 or 8pm to 10 pm (I can't remember exactly). So, if you are coming in-between this time be aware of this. The place I booked this hotel from didn't inform me of this, which isn't really the owners fault. I just wanted others to be aware so they can plan appropriately.

The hotel itself was very beautiful from what I could see, and it was so close to the bus stop that takes you everywhere. If you are going to Santorini, Fira is the best place to stay due to the main bus stop being there, which takes you everywhere. This hotel is very close to that bus stop, like a few minutes walk.

Back to the story, so I came back later to check in. When I rang the bell a neighbor came out and explained that Toula's daughter was having a medical issue. Toula herself actually talked to me on the cell phone to explain the situation. She seemed genuine about the whole ordeal. Working in the medical field, I can assure you that things like this just happen. You cannot plan for medical emergencies, especially something such as seizures which can happen at anytime (her situation). From what I understand, there are no actual hospitals in Santorini, only Athens, so therein lies the issue.

Anyway, so the neighbor did take me to another hotel, and was honest about telling me the owner was related to Toula, they did not try to hide anything. This hotel was further from the bus stop, but the amenities were on par to what I expected to pay. The hotel was called "Hellas Hotel" and the owner, Irene was sweet as can be. She apologized several times, and I assured her I understood things happen. This hotel was really nice, and the staff went above and beyond to help me.

In the end, I was not charged for my stay at the hotel. Toula did not feel right charging me after the incident, even though I insisted. I honestly felt bad staying for free when I was treated so nicely.

In the end, I would book this hotel again if I ever went back. Everyone I met concerning the hotel was so nice and accommodating. Things don't always go as planned, but when you have genuinely nice and caring people helping you that doesn't really matter.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
La Varenne Ferron
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I spent a nice moment in this hotel, the staff is very kind. When we arrived a woman made a briefing about the town, the bus and the visits, and every days she spoke with us.
The room is confortable and the breakfast very copious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Scarlett28
Bucks
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I am really surprised to see some of the bad reviews regarding Villa Toula, especially the ones about Toula herself. When I stayed here, she was super friendly, really helpful and very kind. We were welcomed with a cold drink and cake, everything was explained well and she was just very nice.

The rooms are very basic but they were clean and did have WIFI. There was coffee making facilities in the room and bottled water, which was unexpected given the price. The bath room is more like a 'wet room' with free standing shower but again it was adequate and clean. The day we left, we had to kill 12 hours before taking the overnight ferry to Rhodes. Toula stored our bags free of charge and when we returned to collect them, offered us use of a bathroom to shower and change ( we had been out in the sun all day) Absolutely stunned by some of the negative comments. Not what we found at all.

Villa Toula is a basic B&B and doesnt have a view of the Caldera. It is out of the way but within 5 mins walking distance of all the main attractions. You may need a map to find it ( google maps).
But keep it in perspective. Fira is probably the most expensive town on any of the greek islands. Rooms with views can cost 100's of euro per night. Rooms with out views can cost 100's of euros per night. Toula's place is absolutely spot on for a budget traveller looking for somewhere clean and secure to stay for a day or two. Enjoy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mac500
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We had good stay in villa toula, the owner was quite helpful, informative, and guided was very well to plan our days in Santorini. Rooms were a bit small, but clean and we could get a good night sleep. Breakfast was good and filling, the owner herself made grilled sandwich for our breakfast. They organize free drop and pickup from the port. We had a fulfilling stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MadMAdonna B
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We booked with Villa Toula because it was recommended to us. When we arrived she told us a son story about her daughter being ill and how she stayed with her so she booked us an alternative accommodation. We felt sorry for her do we accepted and tried the alternative accommodation which was her friends place that not only made no attempt to speak with us but had her hotel in a dark back alley that was sketchy. The handle to the door of our bedroom was falling off, we needed to go outside to get to the bathroom and we never saw the owner nor any anyone else around during our stay. We felt unsafe and uncomfortable so we only stayed one night. Besides that we heard from a couple people that this sob story about her daughter is part of her game to get her friend business, not impressed.

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these Fira hotels