“Best place we have EVER stayed!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lauda Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oia
Lauda Hotel
Ranked #59 of 72 Specialty Lodging in Oia
Australia
“Best place we have EVER stayed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

This place is amazing and such good value! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

What you need to know up front: You have to call to make a reservation and Nectarina doesn't even need a credit card to hold your room:) Just call again a week ahead to confirm. And, you must pay cash upon leaving.

Why it's worth it: The view is second to none, you are in the middle of all of the little shops and restaurants, and you know it's a good sign when everyone stops at your hotel to take pictures of the caldera! The pool area is inviting, the water refreshing. There's a fridge and small cooktop in each room. Nectarina, the woman who keeps the place, has the most infectious laugh! She's a doll.

There's also a yummy little restaurant with delicious breakfast right next door since breakfast is not provided by the hotel. You're very much "on your own" here, so if you require a wait staff 24/7 or sheet and towel change every day, this isn't the place for you. But, if you're on a budget and want a clean, simple room with a view second to none, I'd recommend it!

Drawbacks: You pay for what you get. The bed is rock hard (although your room window looks straight into the cladera!), the towels are so scratchy you better hope you don't have to use one while sunburned(!), and the bathroom is super tiny and the itty-bitty shower makes it hard to contain the water, meaning much of the bathroom gets wet. However, that's not uncommon for much of Europe.

Room Tip: We loved our room under the reception. It's at the top of the small complex and enjoys the best...
3 Thank newsformaggie
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

I was quite overwhelmed searching for the right hotel in Oia. I had put Lauda towards the bottom of our list because you had to call to make reservations versus booking online with a confirmation number. After lots of research for the bargain gem in the perfect location, I decided it seemed worth it to call this hotel. I am so glad I did! Lauda is in the absolute perfect location in the middle of the caldera and next to all the shops and restaurants. You will definitely not beat the price for the location. Also, not alot of the "bargain" hotels had a pool, but Lauda's was great. It was the perfect temperature, clean, and relaxing. Nectarina in reception was absolutely great, making sure we were taken care of the whole time. The original room we had booked ended up being occupied last minute so she upgraded us to another room for the same price! Our traditional cave room/apt had a small bathroom, bedroom area and a small kitchenette...it was perfect. We also ended up adding another day onto our stay and cancelling our other hotel because we loved the location and cave room. On our last day, we checked out around 11 am and our flight didnt take off until 11 pm later that night...so Nectarina let us keep our luggage in the reception area while we spent our last day exploring the town...we were very grateful! I would highly recommend Lauda to anyone traveling to Oia who wants a bargain in the hot spot, great views, a great host, and a pool!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kelly J
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and i stayed 3 nights at the Lauda hotel and we loved it! It was a very relaxing hidden gem located in one of Oia's best spot. The pool area was very spacious and very clean as well as the room we stayed in. We chose one of their "cave" room and really liked it, we had our own terrace with transat chairs and a table to have breakfast in the morning sun. The only thing that was a bit disturbing was the toilet pipes running under the floor in the bathroom which provided quite an unpleasant smell...other than that it was nearly perfect...We thought it was overall a great find.

1 Thank Lomo78
India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

Please check the alotted room before you check into Lauda.The room that we were given (for 100 euros) was afar cry from the one that my daughter had booked nearly 3 months in advance after seeing the pics.The very tiny room that we were given just had space enough for 2beds,2 chairs & a tiny table-with hardly any space to keep my hubby"s & my medium size suitcase.We were ready to pay more & asked for a better room but the owner told us that all the other rooms were the same more or less and that they were all occupied (which was utter lie as we could see people checking in much after us throughout the day and night-and to much better rooms)!The only thing that the owner complied to was to give us an electric kettle which we had to keep on top of our suitcase which in turn had to be kept on top of the tiny table as the cord of the kettle was so short that it wouldn't reach the plug point( as they had no provision for any kettle).The next day we paid a little extra (140 euros)& checked into a better hotel with the same view & on the same side of the coastline(hotel Villa Filotera).Here the cave rooms were just "WOW'.The furnishing was classy-the bed room & the bathroom were done up with a lot of taste & ideas-unlike the outhouse like room that was given to us in Lauda!Each room had its own private balcony area with a table & 2 lounging chairs & a clothes dryer.This place made me feel that my holidays had really begun though I felt a little sad that I had lost out on a day of my hard earned holidays.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Madhu c
madrid
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Oia is the most beautiful place to stay in Santorini. Lauda Hotel has the best location (just in the middle of main street and very close where buses stop) with probably the best view of the caldera. Also, you don´t have to forget that this is a traditional hotel and apartment so don´t expect the luxuries of a five stars hotel because the concept is different but it is a wonderful experience. The swimming pool is great. If you compare the reasonable money you pay here with the price of other surrounding hotels the decision is absolutely clear. It is the best choice. Also, we had a problem with a forgotten bag in a bus and after reporting to the police, Nectarina (the lady in charge of the reception) helped us all the time and she solved the problem and sent it to me to our next hotel in Mykonos. Best service is impossible. You feel like at home. We travelled with a 18 months baby and she was very considered giving us a room on the very top in order to avoid many stairs (of course with a baby cot with no extra charge).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank nacho280472
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I went for a holiday around Greece with my husband and my parents. We had already spent a few days in Crete and Athens before we headed to Santorini. I booked hotels in Crete and Athens based on Lonely Planet (midrange hotels) and both the hotels we stayed in were amazing till we reached Lauda in Santorini. I had booked 2 rooms over 3 months in advance based on the pictures I saw on their website. They do not take bookings by email so the only way to book is by calling them directly or faxing. The lady on the phone seemed friendly and asked me to call very few weeks to confirm my booking, which I did. I booked 2 rooms for 100 euros a night each and based on the pictures of the room and its location in Oia I thought it was a good deal. When all four of us reached there I was blown away by the view- but that’s where the charm ends. We were taken to our rooms right by the pool – but I was shocked at how small and unpleasant the rooms looked. There was no space for anything other than the bed- the taps in the washroom looked dilapidated and broken overall it was like a pigeon hole and completely different from what was on her website! My husband and I went up to request her to change our rooms but she insisted that all other rooms were booked and she could do nothing. We were all disappointed but very tired to argue more so just went out and had dinner. At night we got back and saw there were other empty rooms and also other people’s rooms were twice the size of ours. Honestly even with the view I would not pay more than 50 euros for our room, and putting up some different pictures on the website and giving us completely different rooms is plain cheating. The next day in the morning I again went and requested her but she said “ all our rooms are different they are all booked already”, and when I said “ I booked over 3 months in advance and what is on your website and the rooms we have are completely different” she had no answer. Anyways we went around looking and I found a place called “Filotera Villas” just down the street with amazing views, pool and gorgeous cave rooms, with great linen, fridge, good cutlery, Jacuzzi, shampoo, shower gels, plenty of towels, TV, stereo system, great high quality traditional furniture and paintings, your own little balcony – none of which our rooms in Lauda had – all for 140 euros a night. When I went back to Lauda I saw several more people checking in so it was again very obvious she was lying to me and just wanted to palm off those horrible rooms to someone. I told her we wanted to check out, so my parents, husband and I packed our stuff and headed out. At that point she said she could show us more rooms but I had enough of her lies so said I was not interested. When I went to make the payment of 200 euros for 2 rooms for one night – she was so rude, mean and aggressive and all the time her daughter sat in a corner and glared at me. I felt so angry and hurt – I had come all the way with my family for a good vacation, and here she cheats us by giving us crappy rooms completely different from her website and she had the audacity to give me attitude. Her question to me was “how much should I charge you?” I said we stayed 1 night so 200 euros for 2 rooms. She said that I should pay more because I had booked for 3 nights! I said the rooms she gave were completely different, and after asking repeatedly she was refusing to accommodate us. For 15 minutes she kept saying all sorts of horrible things to us, while refusing to listen to how she had not honored her side of the commitment by giving us such terrible rooms even after booking so far in advance. Anyways we finally left that place with a bad taste in our mouths. I was honestly very disappointed and felt cheated. I would recommend people to instead head to Filotera Villas just down the street with much nicer rooms and much warmer and honest owners. Lauda was a complete waste of time, money, energy and nerves and that lady’s attitude and behaviour was the worst I have seen in Greece!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Aalisha_c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Oia's Sunset Apartments
#39 of 55 in Oia
Caveland
Caveland
#2 of 10 in Karteradhos

Been to Lauda Hotel? Share your experiences!