“An amazing and Magical Honeymoon”

Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Philadelphia
“An amazing and Magical Honeymoon”
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Upon my departure I asked for the owner/managers email address and wrote the below email... (it pretty much sums up my stay)

Mr. Eliopoulos,

Good day! I just wanted to write a brief email to highlight
your Hotel and more importantly your staff. I stayed at Mystique
from Wednesday through Sunday Morning as part of my Honeymoon and
had an absolutely wonderful time. Although I am young, I have been
to some very nice Hotels both with my wife and with my family
growing up and I can honestly say that the Mystique is by far the
most interesting and unique Hotel I have ever visited. While the
Hotel is what catches your attention it is the Staff and Service
that will keep people coming back. The Mystique offered, by far,
the best service out of any Hotel that I have ever stayed at. Every
single person, from the gentleman carrying the bags up and down the
stairs to the restaurant servers, greeted us with more than a
smile. It truly was amazing how nice and accomodating everybody was.

In particuliar I would like to let you know that Dimitra is a
truly a valuable employee. She treated my wife and I like we were
royalty and I could tell very easily that she treated the Mystique
as if it was her own. While upgrading our Suite was just the icing
on the cake, Dimitra's personality, charm, and charisma were well
beyond our expectations. She really did go out of her way to make
our trip memorable. Also, I can not forget about Vasia, who spent
more time than she needed planning our everyday activity with a
smile on her face the entire time. Your staff made us feel "at home" and like "family" for the 4 nights were there. My only
regret is that we were unable to stay longer!

I am also a business owner and if all my employees carried
themselves the way the Mystique employees did it would certainly
make my life a whole lot easier. You should be proud of your staff
as they are second to none!

I hope to travel back to the Mystique someday or maybe (as
Dimitra suggested) Vadeema with my future children.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Paris
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We spent a week in the Mystique which was tbooked by Peplum Agency, a so-called Luxurous Travel Agency that we chose to use for our Honeymoon. For 1500 euro per night, we ended up in a tourist trap: a room of 30 square metres with no swimming pool in the hotel but a 3X4 metre one. The beach is at two hours by car, a 75 euro trip in a cab, and there is really nothing to do. It was a nightmare. Even breakfast was bad, and overpriced. Croissant were not fresh, and clearly, the hotel was just trying to get as much money from its clients as possible. We do not recommend this hotel, nor the agency, a fairly incompetent one, that book this absurd trip for 10 000 euros.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
14 Thank ClouzoParis
MysOia, Hotel Manager at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor.

Please allow us to note that you had booked the Spiritual Suite with jacuzzi and fitness room for which official rate is 1.100 euro, which is 60 sq.m. excluding the private veranda, which is approximately extra 25 sq. meters.
Regarding the pool, it is a very good size caldera pool. All the hotels around have similar size pools. The laws in Oia are very strict about what can be constructed, extended and in which way. It is a matter of legislation applicable to the traditional settings, and has also to do with the weight of the water at the edge of the cliff.

As it is generally known, Santorini is a volcanic island, therefore the beaches are not everywhere but just in the Southeast part of the island.The rest of the island has only cliffs from where you can enjoy the unique view. The black sand beach is located approximately 24 kms away from the hotel and it is a 35 minute driving distance. The whole island is 37 kms from one end to the other, so the whole distance can be covered in max 45 minutes driving. A taxi costs 35 euros from the hotel to the beach. Of course, our Concierge department is available 24 hours to assist with car rental which is something most of Santorini visitors do. Furthermore, our Concierge, if one uses it, has the possibility to book different activities, such as cruises, car tours, water sports, horse riding, diving, and many more.

Regarding breakfast, this is included in the room rates and you were not charged extra for it. The breakfast is served a la carte and only fresh ingredients are used for all dishes. In addition, the menu variety in the breakfast is very large, offering a selection of cold and hot dishes. Many of our guests have congratulated us for the variety and the uniqueness of our breakfast.

We always encourage our guests to discuss with us any concerns they might have while they are in the hotel, in order to assist in any way we can and resolve any issues prior to departure. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at Mystique and reverse your impressions.

Kindest Regards,

Antonia Veskou
Hotel Manager
texas
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We booked two rooms at Mystique - it was me and my sister-in-law and my two grown sons. All the rooms are diiferent and I was upgraded to a suite with a work out room! (AMEX) My kids had a two story room and they all have magnificent views of the Aegean Sea. It is not an easy climb to and from the hotel but worth every step. The hosts met us at the airport with cool towels and at the hotel with champagne, fresh fruit was in the room everyday, wonderful amenities, jacuzzis in the rooms, huge porches, panoramic views. The dining room was right on the water, service and food were outstanding. Small wine tastings are held in a very cool cave right on the property. Everyone was incredibly gracious, warm and helpful. Their website has beautiful pictures which are so accurate!
There are a lot of stairs so it is not for the elderly or for small children, but a wonderful location close to great shopping and restaurants. We ate at Ambrosia and Nectar and loved it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Mystique is the perfect name for this hotel. In appearance it is overly simple; layers upon layers of cave- like dwellings that blend with each other and their surroundings. In this way the hotel surrenders to the overwhelming natural beauty that surrounds it. This simple appearance adds to the tranquility of its environment. The interior of the rooms are also simple, yet elegant. Regardless of the room's decor, your eye would be drawn to the breathtaking views anyway.

While in appearance, the hotel blends in with its surroundings, it thoroughly distinguishes itself through its incredible staff which provides above and beyond service throughout your entire stay. Every member of this staff greets you with a warm smile and makes you feel like an important and valued guest. Staff members seem to appear out of nowhere to help you. When I arrived at the pool sitting area, I merely looked at the umbrella and within seconds someone arrived to open it for me. The Concierge staff are all wonderful at providing recommendations and taking care of all of your needs flawlessly and efficiently.

While the hotel is quite small, 18 rooms in all, and only has a small pool and sitting area, the common spaces are never crowded. Many guests make use of the chaise lounges that sit on their private patios right outside of each room. Many guests also choose to take meals on their patios as well. We had massages on our private patio overlooking the Aegean Sea. Between the exquisite view and lovely sea breeze, not to mention wonderful massage, it was a truly memorable experience.

Many of the guests during our stay were like ourselves, couples looking for peaceful relaxation and tranquility. This made for a cordial and serene atmosphere, where everyone respects each others privacy and quiet.

Mystique is located quite close to the lovely shops and restaurants in Oia. Although we found it hard to drag ourselves away from this hotel and the quietude it provided, we walked into town in the evenings for some fabulous sunset dinners, sightseeing and shopping. The proximity of Mystique to this wonderful upscale town provided a wonderful balance for our vacation.

In addition, the food here is also delicious. Although breakfast was included with our room, it was not the standard breakfast buffet that we had come to expect. We were given a menu and told to order whatever we liked and as much as we liked. Everything was made to order. This personal touch further enhanced our feeling that we were special guests at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Its ok - not much to say after that. We were put here by another hotel who was overbooked. After staying here I looked at the rates and was shocked to see what people are paying here - I'm guessing most are using starwood points to stay here. Bullets below

* Antonia the Hotel Manager could't be any nicer - she does a very nice job
* Seemed like more Americans here than any other hotel we stayed at - and the culture was stale at the hotel - felt like a starwood - which is fine hotel - just no local ambiance
* The air conditioning did not work well - by far the worst system of any hotel we stayed at in Greece
* The pool area was very small
The room was fine - nothing to write home about, the shower didnt drain well
* Breakfast was a mess - most places do buffetts - they had an inclusive menu breakfast - service was slow and the staff seemed confused the whole time
* Lots of stairs to get here - coming and going from the hotel was a chore - many, many stairs to go up and down
* Hotel is on outskirts of the town

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bigtoes99
MysOia, Hotel Manager at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor.

Regarding your concerns, we would like to note that Santorini is in general a very popular destination and of course in US as well. Being a Starwood Luxury Collection property, the hotel naturally attracts many American guests due to the high quality guaranteed by the company. Usually the hotels can not control the nationalities of the guests staying and the ambieance has to do with architecture, decoration, view, local food and Greek hospitality.

We are very sorry to find out after departure, that was an issue with the air-conditioning. Our records though do not mention a maintenance issue and nothing is registered as mulfunction. In any case our maintenance department is always available 24/7 to arrange everything.

The hotel’s pool and the pool area is a normal caldera size pool. All the hotels around have similar or smaller size pool areas. The laws in Oia are very strict about what can be constructed, extended and in which way. It is a matter of legislation applicable to the traditional settlings.

Concerning breakfast, the a la carte menu instead of buffet breakfast that hotels usually provide, offers more up scaled and exclusive service. The menu variety is very selective and our guests can even create their own dishes according to their taste. Service is not slow, but as our guests enjoy leisure holidays and not business, the rush in service that must be avoided in order to contribute in relaxation, could be confused with slow service. We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and offer you an exceptional service.

The hotel’s location is in the entrance of Oia village and only 5 minutes walking distance from the village center. Being built on the volcanic cliffs we are providing this breathtaking view. The stairs is not a characteristic of Mystique only, but of the whole island. In addition, provide two very important advantages; the property is far from the noise of the main road and the people passing by, and as the first hotel on the Caldera offers unobstructed views.

Kindest Regards,

Antonia Veskou
Hotel Manager
London
Reviewed July 28, 2009

When you want to escape from the world of chaos and do nothing but stare off into a 24 hour panoramic view from your bed, balcony, pool or restaurant, this is the place. The decor is a cross between Loro Piana and the white backdrop of the Greek Isles. Service was outstanding. Never seen a staff more dedicated and physically fit, as they run up and down the cliff side pampering each guest with their every request. Food is the best in Oia, as is the poolside view and rooms with jaw-dropping views. Don't even need to get out of bed for a picture postcard view. They indulged me in a birthday dinner in their "secret" wine cave, delivered a birthday cake with a dozen red roses. On the off nights, you can have dinner on your balcony surrounded by candlight. If I wanted to escape for the rest of my life to another world.....it would be the Hotel Mystique where everything you wish for in a hotel, comes true!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
Reviewed July 15, 2009

My wife and I recently stayed at Mystique for honeymoon. It was definitely worth it! The hotel only consists of 18 rooms so the staff take extra care of you. Everyone from the frontdesk to the restaurant to the housekeepers are wonderful. This is definitely the perfect place for honeymooners to be pampered.

Our typical day consisted of waking up and going to breakfast at their wonderful restaurant. All the food is fresh and delicious (try the frappes). We would then spend most of the day touring the island either by car (I recommend renting a smart car) or boat. We then enjoy the best sunset in santorini, which is just a walk from the hotel. Then after a long day, we return to our room where the hotel either has flowers on the bed, fruits, or wine.

During our stay, the hotel did its best to upgrade our room. We were able to get the villa for the last two nights. I definitely would recommend this hotel to honeymooners. My wife and I plan on coming back some day. Hopefully, during May, since the weather was very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Andronis Luxury Suites
Perivolas
Perivolas
#18 of 56 in Oia
Kirini Suites & Spa
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel

Been to Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!