“Reasonable price for fantastic location and amazing view!”

and 1 more site!
Zoe-Aegeas Traditional Houses
Ranked #5 of 74 Specialty Lodging in Oia
new york
“Reasonable price for fantastic location and amazing view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spent 4 days in Oia, at Zoe Aegeas houses. Myself, husband and 3 children in a 2 bedroom cave house with an incredible view from a large terrace and my in-laws in the top studio. I have just left but miss that glorious view from our terrace. I feel the sunset is a little overrated, so I aM glad we picked a volcano view over it. our view of the caldera was indescribable, you can use every superlative and still cannot adequately describe it.

The accommodations Were more than adequate- in the 2br we had a kitchen with electirc stove/burner, all utensils, cutlery, plates, a bathroom with decent shower, flat screen tv with DVD player and some dvd's, and enough room for 5. The studio really had no kitchen facilities, but for a honeymooning couple I am sure that wouldn't be an issue. And the decor was so charming, very thoughtful touches all around.

Location could not be beat-5 minutes from the famous sunset, all around are shops and restaurants, bus stop 10 min walk, 5 if you rush, but why rush while in Santorini?, and of course the great view from your own terrace, both apartments had excellent views, our 2br with a view of the caldera without being able to see the houses on the side, but my in laws room had the classic views of the houses with a view of the caldera as well. And not very many steps to get from the main street to the rooms, maybe 20 steps, just very steep.

The following is a list of what I have considered extras, because for the price these are almost bonuses-
1. Zak the host was readily available and acted as concierge and checked in on us 1-2 times per day, although we did not use him as much as other people I have read here on tripadvisor, as I made my own arrangements for tours and most activities.
2. another plus is the nice breakfast provided:yogurt, fruit, juice, honey, jams, and fresh baked bread, enough to get you started for your day.
3. Daily housekeeping by Acia(sp?) who was also so friendly
4. another bonus is free wi fi, which wherever you are in Oia , is available outside,not in your cave room- so you if u HAVE to use the internet, then just use it while on your terrace

Oh, and for accurate photos, check out the other popular websites for making reservations, they are very accurate.

And remember u are in a cave so there is some humidity,and I am pretty sure there was a dehumidifier in the room, but we did not need it. There were fans that cooled us enough.

Otherwise no cons that I can mention

All in all it was worth every euro, in Oia you can spend a fortune if you want to, but if you want value for your money, stay at Zoe

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank edlr4ma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
always abroad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed in the rooftop studio at Zoe-Aegeas Traditional Houses, steps away from the Castle sunset point in historic Oia. The studio is small but perfectly functional for a single person or a couple. There are small beautiful aesthetic touches - like the lighting- in the studio that add to the value of the experience. From your bed, you get a stunning view of the Caldera. Most days, we spent sunning on the deck, drinking chilled wine and admiring the view. The owner Zack was so warm and hospitable giving us small mementoes of Oia, and desserts he had received from the North. Even the housekeeper was so friendly that we really felt we were living in someone's home, and not in some tourist ghetto in one of the most visited places in Europe.

Very special, once-in-a-lifetime experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

In Zoe houses,me and my family had the best relaxed holidays ever.Zoe is an old traditional house in Oia,a big cave house with lots of mystery and so warm feeling.you can enjoy the colours of caldera all day and night,its so romantic!!!you will feel the smell of the Aegean sea d eep inside you,you will fly with the seagulls in Paradise.ZOE travels you in real Paradise.Do not forget the hospitality that the owner of ZOE, Zak,offers us.he was so special with us.THANK you Zak.See you very soon.you must have that experience.Just Fabulous!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank maria v
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have stayed at Zoe's houses 3 times and we have been totally fascinated all the three of them; the spot is breathtaking, with amazing views, the location is very convenient in Oia -considering the number of steps you use to move around, and the house is simply amazing, traditionally built and decorated; also very spacy; The host is very accommodative and helpful, and it' s good time guaranteed

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angeliki v
Varna, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've stayed there in May and it was wonderful. The view is breathtaking, the accomodations are surperb and you get a bonus-Zak! He is such a perfect host. I will be back for sure!!!
Will definitely recommend for the romantic trip. The evenings are very quiet, with one of the best sunsets.

Room Tip: Zak will choose the best room for everyone's needs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angela S
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Me and my friends never write reviews but we had to for the first time. We just got back from a beautiful vacation in Greece which was short but very sweet thanks to Zak and Zoe houses. Three of us, all in our twenties travelled together for a week May 2013.

I want to first start by commending Zak on his exceptional style of service. He runs Zoe houses with such a wonderful energy that you feel you've been in Santorini for years instead of days. We arrived a day late when our flight was cancelled because of strong winds. However, Zak had no issue adjusting the days and assured us right away not to worry about paying for the last minute cancellation. Other hotels would normally deduct you a fee because of this, but we never felt Zak was out to make money in this way. You got the sense that he genuinely wanted you to enjoy the island and take away from it the pleasure he got from living there. He recommended us to the best restaurants and introduced us to people in Oia. We never felt pressure-it was a perfect mix where we had immediate familiarity but also got to do our own thing.

As for the houses, we took plenty of pictures because we were impressed with the design right away. All the little details and modern complements made these traditional cave houses absolutely unique. We'd all stayed at plenty of hotels around the world before, but the space and home comforts felt like we were staying at a friends guest house. It had an informal feel, but it was serviced well and had the extras we needed like towels, extra bedding, tv, wifi and a private terrace with gorgeous views. We also had a delicious breakfast each day. Simple and light- spanikopita, breads, jams, greek yogourt, honey, coffee and juice- more than enough fuel for exploring.

Because of the flight issues we were lucky to have our days were spread out between two of the 5 person apartments. I say lucky because each had their appeal. Both had two bedrooms with double beds and a day bed in the living room. The first one was a split level style and had more modern touches throughout. The terrace looked down at the path and had amazing views of oias blue roofed and colourful houses. All the tourists stopped here to take pictures of the entrance way to this house and we were only 200 metres away from the old church where people go to watch the sunset.

The second house was just as beautiful, bigger with more of a blend with traditional and modern. The living and dining room were huge, and the bathroom could only be described as massive. For three women this was a spa. I also loved the dvds, books and boardgames in the room. While we never utilized them, I could see where it would be a treat for a family with kids.

I can't say enough for Zak and Zoe Houses. Like I said I never write reviews, but in this special case we committed oursleves to appreciate the hard work and passion displayed by the people we met there. Thanks so much Zak.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Abdinurm88
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I booked Zoe houses on recommendation of my good friend and I did not regret it at all.
This place is beautifull, peacefully situated in the center of Oia. The studio apartment with terrace has a magical view of the Caldera.
Zak, the host, brought me breakfast every morning and gave me insider tips about good restaurants and excursions. He is friendly and helpfull host.
I enjoyed my stay and have a beautiful memories of this places.
I will certainly recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo