We just got back from our honeymoon to Greece. We had a very pleasant stay at a nice hotel in Mykonos, went on a short cruise around Greece which was a very typical cruise experience (early mornings, densely-packed days, and an all-out gorge-fest), and ended the trip in Santorini. While the trip was overall very relaxing and a great experience, our stay at the Oia Castle was absolute heaven.
Note that the Oia Castle is one of two hotels that form the Art Maisons group with the other being Aspaki which is just down the street. This review pertains to Oia Castle only as we did not see the Aspaki during the trip.
With the U.S. dollar as weak as it is, the Oia Castle was fairly expensive for us at over $600 USD per night. However, being our honeymoon, we splurged, but only after doing our homework. We compared all of the other top hotels in Oia and found that Oia is damn expensive! Nice hotels in Greece are expensive in general and Oia has a reputation for being expensive for Greece which we definitely found to be true. With that said, the Oia Castle is actually decently priced, relative to their competition.
Getting to the Oia Castle took a bit of a walk because cars are not allowed near the northern end of Oia which overlooks the Caldera. This is the case for all of the hotels with views so it's something that applies to all of the other hotels as well. Upon arrival, someone from the hotel was specifically waiting for us to take our bags down the long walk. (By the way, take them up on their offer to arrange for pickup, we thought it'd be cheaper to take a taxi on our own but it wasn't. Luckily, the taxi driver had to call for directions which is how the hotel knew we were coming.)
When we got to our room (the Marine suite) and saw the view, we cancelled everything we had planned during the Santorini portion of the trip. The room, the hotel, and the view were THAT breathtaking. I've been all over the world and have seen many beatiful locations but our suite was just that much over the top. The room was very nicely decorated and very comfortable, so much so that it, in itself, made me not want to leave Oia for the excursions that we had planned. However, when we were shown the private terrace and jacuzzi overlooking the Caldera, we knew that we had found heaven on earth and it was ours for three whole days! The view was absolutely overwhelming and to be able to see it from the comfort of a jacuzzi was the unique experience that my wife and I were looking for.
It took us a full day to get over the suite and the view and for us to actually want to do something other than lounge around and do nothing but enjoy the suite and the view. When we did, we found that the service was incredible to match. Marjo not only answered every question she could, she wrote down everything she couldn't answer on her own (car rental quotes, ferry times and prices, winery hours) and came by with everything listed out fifteen minutes later. We picked what we wanted to do and that was it, she arranged everything else for us. Now THAT'S what I call service! Best of all, she did it with so much enthusiasm that I wanted to open my own hotel in Oia and hire her away. She wasn't working the day we checked out so my wife and I were disappointed that we couldn't say bye to her. We're not the super-friendly-meet-everyone types but Marjo made that much of an impression on us.
All in all, Oia Castle was one incredible experience and definitely worth every penny. We've been on many, many vacations and this is the one place that we were so impressed by that we want to return VERY SOON rather than "sometime in the future" after we've seen more of the world. When we come back, the trip is going to be timed around when our honeymoon suite at the Oia Castle is available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Art Maisons Exclusive Boutique Hotels is composed of 2 Luxury Hotels: Aspaki and Oia Castle Luxury Suites. Due to its unique location on the cape of the Caldera right in the heart of Oia Santorini, Aspaki Exclusive Hotel offers best panoramic views of the Caldera, Aegean sea,entire village with blue domes and Volcano while ensuring ultimate privacy and tranquility for our guests. A common pool and bar/restaurant is available. Oia Castle Luxury Suites is located under the Castle of Oia which is the best spot to watch the famous sunset view in Santorini.The Suites and Villas were combined with every modern-day luxury and private pools or Jacuzzis offering direct sunset views and Caldera, windmills and sea views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Bookgreece.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your Art Maisons Luxury Santorini Hotels Aspaki & Oia Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Art Maisons Luxury Santorini Hotels: Aspaki And Oia Castle
- Art Maisons Luxury Santorini Hotels: Aspaki & Oia Castle Hotel Oia
- Art Maisons Luxury Santorini Hotels Aspaki & Oia Castle Greece