“Seriously Misleading...”
Review of Caldera Villas

Caldera Villas
Ranked #41 of 58 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed June 28, 2008

My husband and I were booked at the Caldera Villas for 4 nights but had to check out after the first night. The views of the caldera were beautiful, but other than that the hotel website was extremely misleading. The problems were:
1. Extremely dangerous stairs... and LOTS of them.. to get to the hotel. Even the way DOWN was scary. My husband and I are 27 years old and in good shape and we were drenched with sweat by the time walked up the steps and coming down was a dangerous endeavor. Once the sun went down it got worse. The steps had NO LIGHTS, NO HANDRAILS, and were incredibly uneven.
2. NO POOL... Don't let the website fool you. Although the site makes it look like there is a beautiful, refreshing pool what greeted us was nothing more than an oversized hot tub. When we saw it we asked where the pool was. Upon finding out that was it we tested the water. It was dirty and warm. Not what we were promised. There was no part of the pool that could have been more than 3 feet deep. The staff did not seem at all surprised with our complaints as if they had heard this many times before.
3. The rooms were decent, however the bathrooms did not have the "sanitary" ribbon as all decent European hotels have after they have been cleaned. The linens did seem clean and the room was equipped with a small kitchenette. We did need to use a ladder to get to the actual bed, as it was a loft. At this point, what did another couple of steps matter!?

The staff at the hotel was very nice and helpful, even as we were leaving. They did try to find us another hotel. There are a few hotels owned by the same people and they tried to set us up with one of those. The other hotels seemed to have worse cleanliness issues than Caldera Villas. Also, at this point we felt so burnt by the false advertisement that we declined to switch.

We ended up getting a BEAUTIFUL hotel, directly on the sea for a fraction of the price that Caldera Villas was charging. Oia is ONE NARROW strip of restaurants and touristy shops. The sunsets are beautiful, but Oia isn't anything that can't be done in a half-day trip. Stay in Kamari (20 minutes from Oia)... pay less and get more.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ecb543
ralumiha, receptionist at Caldera Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2008

Hello
We are the staff who is working at this hotel and seeing your long letter that is basically is complaining about everything I have to say something to defend our hotel.
We appreciated that you didn’t complain about the staff but still ,I will have to do some specifications.
1.So in the first place we are talking about CAVE APARTMENTS who are situated on top of the mountain ,everywhere you will go in Oia you will find stairs and this is why we are famous for we are at 1200 feet above the sea level .
2.Indeed we have a small pool it will be pretty hard on top of the mountain to have an Olympic size pool ,but you are not right when you are saying that it was dirty ….even in your picture everybody can see that no way that pool was dirty or that hot as you say end of June the temperature is around 27 degrees.
3.Thank you for not complaining to much about the cleanliness, we will try to imply to our management about the sanitary ribbons.
I have no doubt that in Kamary you will find much cheaper hotels but we are talking about a very touristy area with a lot of noisy clubs and crowded places and Oia that is famous for privacy and breath taking views and quiet place.
We regret deeply that we couldn’t make you stay with us and we couldn’t make you happy but we are happy that you were able to eventuality find a much nicer place than us and want to remind you that reading about the place you will go will help you a lot ,in order not to get disappointed.
All the best to you ,and lots of perfect vacantion..
Caldera Villas Staff.

Reviewed February 25, 2008

We travelled in Greece often but - first time in Santorini. Every offer in the hotel is excellent from the smile and welcome to the standard of services,2007 was the first year of the new management and as Sofia told us during winter the hotel will be renovated .I cant wait to come in 2008 and see the final results of the renovation.All rooms have amazing view over the cliff and the hot springs in this upmarket part of the City and are supremely comfortable and housekeeping is first class.
The reception staff, especially Sofia just seems to help you with anything and you will see their goodwill in everything they do. For example i hade in-room breakfast everyday that i ordered to be delivered at 09.15 and they arrived exactly at 09.15 every morning. You should try yourself once you go and if i had a hotel; first thing i would to is to hire Sofia! Caldera villas is located very well for it's neighbourhood restaurants and shopping. My daughters missed Caldera villas like they missed home, when we left oia , santorini. Thanks to all the staff, especially Sofia.Bottom line, Caldera villas is an outstanding hotel in very good location. Service was flawless. You'll enjoy your stay here.
Love and best wishes, Eve

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank eveboros
Reviewed January 20, 2008

There is a wonderful feeling about this small boutique hotel that puts you in the heart of a oia residential and commercial neighborhood.It is just a few blocks from major attractions and great restaurants and bars .I have been all over the world living in accommodations ranging from 1 star to 6 star. I have to say that this property is the best value for my money when I had to pay for regular rates, around $150 a night (special offer for last minute bookings). First of all this small hotel has lots of charm and character.The appartments where better than what the web site shows,the decoration was beautiful .
The views of the Caldera are just truly amazing,the apartments are perfectly positioned over the caldera with views from every room. Fabulous memories for us. The free breakfasts are delicious. The Staff went out of its way always to make sure that our needs are met.They helped me decide where to travel, fed me well every morning, kept my bags while I traveled to other cities, and kept my room spotlessly. Sofia at the reception told me that a new company took over the management of the hotel in April 2007 and they are focused in good quality service ,plus they are renovating the hotel . We had some funny conversations because most of the guests are international, trying to understand different kinds of english or Greek! They hotel has an airport service which i would highly recommend . The hotel is pleasing for any age and I would very highly recommend it to anyone who goes the Santorini.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank georgeheins
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I used Trip Advisor to look for a suitable hotel in Santorini and the reviews for Caldera villas looked good. We weren't disappointed at all!Stayed 12 nights at this wonderful boutique hotel in a great location in oia town.It was a sublime 12 nights.

The transfer guy was there at the airport with our name board - a relatively quick trip had us arriving at the hotel. The staff were incredibly friendly and literally bent over backwards to help us (heavy suitcases!). A relaxed check in with ice tea at the pool area.From the moment I got there, the reception staff was so helpful getting me settled, helping me get local currency, and arranging for transportation around the island. There are tons of excellent restaurants nearby, and the window shopping is great.Every night the hotel staff gave great suggestions on where to eat and what to do. The rooms are comfortable,well-appointed and tastefully decorated.
The minimalist architecture, beautiful interiors, good breakfasts, and amazing staff made this is an amazing place to spend a couple of weeks. I tend to like smaller, boutique hotels with a lot of personality and found Caldera villas to be just that. If I find myself heading to Santorini again, I will definitely stay there

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends