My husband and I were booked at the Caldera Villas for 4 nights but had to check out after the first night. The views of the caldera were beautiful, but other than that the hotel website was extremely misleading. The problems were:
1. Extremely dangerous stairs... and LOTS of them.. to get to the hotel. Even the way DOWN was scary. My husband and I are 27 years old and in good shape and we were drenched with sweat by the time walked up the steps and coming down was a dangerous endeavor. Once the sun went down it got worse. The steps had NO LIGHTS, NO HANDRAILS, and were incredibly uneven.
2. NO POOL... Don't let the website fool you. Although the site makes it look like there is a beautiful, refreshing pool what greeted us was nothing more than an oversized hot tub. When we saw it we asked where the pool was. Upon finding out that was it we tested the water. It was dirty and warm. Not what we were promised. There was no part of the pool that could have been more than 3 feet deep. The staff did not seem at all surprised with our complaints as if they had heard this many times before.
3. The rooms were decent, however the bathrooms did not have the "sanitary" ribbon as all decent European hotels have after they have been cleaned. The linens did seem clean and the room was equipped with a small kitchenette. We did need to use a ladder to get to the actual bed, as it was a loft. At this point, what did another couple of steps matter!?
The staff at the hotel was very nice and helpful, even as we were leaving. They did try to find us another hotel. There are a few hotels owned by the same people and they tried to set us up with one of those. The other hotels seemed to have worse cleanliness issues than Caldera Villas. Also, at this point we felt so burnt by the false advertisement that we declined to switch.
We ended up getting a BEAUTIFUL hotel, directly on the sea for a fraction of the price that Caldera Villas was charging. Oia is ONE NARROW strip of restaurants and touristy shops. The sunsets are beautiful, but Oia isn't anything that can't be done in a half-day trip. Stay in Kamari (20 minutes from Oia)... pay less and get more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the centre of Oia, Caldera Villas overlook the volcano and feature a swimming pool and accommodation with Cycladic decor. Room balconies offer caldera and Aegean Sea views. Rooms, studios and suites combine local architectural style with modern comforts, such as free Wi-Fi and satellite TV. Some room types provide well-equipped kitchenettes and seating area. Some units include a hot tub. Caldera Villas features a sun terrace and a swimming pool. Guests can enjoy a buffet continental breakfast daily. Staff can arrange bicycle and car rental and offer traveling advice. Armeni beach is a 10-minute walk from Caldera Villas. The bus station, bank, restaurants and shops are a 2-minute walk. Free public parking is possible at a location nearby Villas Caldera. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Caldera Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caldera Villas Hotel Oia
- Caldera Villas Santorini/Oia, Greece