“Lovely boutique hotel”
Review of Caldera Villas

Caldera Villas
Ranked #41 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was our second time to santorini ( last time 15 years ago as student backpackers in fira ).Well Oia is the real thing. This beautifil boutique hotel has sparkling clean rooms at a great price ( we ve booked rather early sincy they had an early bird discount ) ,and view that you have to see in order to believe.Right in front of your eyes you have all the volcanic islands plus thirassia.We ve booked a cave suite and it worth every penny.Great minimalistic deco,total peace and quiet and right in the heart of Oia.A few steps from the main church yard.
All the staff was very friendly and went out of their way to help us out arranging our travel plans.Go ahead and book the arrival transfer through the hotel,i am glad we did.At the airport it was chaotic plus they help you out by carrying your luggage down to the hotel.All in all we loved our stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 22, 2012

We ve just been back from a 6 day stay in this lovely hotel.This was a part of our 10 day stay in Greece and it was just perfect.We had a lovely room,with the most comfortable bed facing the volcano ( we could see it right from our bed ).We also booked also the catamaran day excursion which was great.We met some very nice people on the pool area ,just sitting and chatting for ever.The woman at the check in point offered us a nice bottle of greek wine,since she saw from the registration form that it was my wifes birthday.I saw the previous comments with a lot of interest and can say is that in oia village you must definitely wear sensible footware.I saw a lot of couples trying to balance throughout the steps in oia wearing high heel shoes.Once you wear flat shoes then you dont need to worry.Definitely recommend it.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

The rooms were very clean but there is no storage it is all very modern and clean and they clean your room everyday, the pool is not really a swimming pool as it is very small .
The breakfast was fine and the staff were very helpful and pleasant. however as other reviewers have mentioned the steps to the hotel are very dangerous and really need to be levelled off i am glad there was no rain when we were there as it it would be very slippy, I went to many place in Oia and these are the worse steps, owners please sort this out. I would not recommend this hotel if you are older as the steps would be a nightmare for you

Reviewed May 7, 2012

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Caldera Villas in early May. Sam the porter was very helpful with our bags. The room had a fantastic view of the Caldera and the decor was freshly painted. Breakfasts were excellent; good quality food and plenty of it. My only concerns would be: 1. Steps down to the hotel are steep and slippery - be careful! 2. The room had no storage place for clothes - a chest of drawers would have been useful. 3. Pool is very small and really only for sitting in. If you like swimming, there's a beach about half a mile away.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We had gone for the first part of our honeymoon to Santorini and stayed at Caldera Villas for the entire 6 days back in Sept 2011. Arrived around midnight and our driver was there waiting for us to take us to the hotel. Sammy was also there to carry all of our luggage down to our room (#8) at this time. We learned that Sammy was the resident maintenance go-to and carries all the guests' luggage up and down the extremely steep stairs.
The stairs - ladies please ensure that you bring flat shoes to wear! The hotel is located below the rim of the caldera and is very steep. The stairs are made of stone so please be careful as they are steep and uneven. They ARE manageable but thank goodness Sammy was there to carry our luggage when we checked out!
Check in was super quick and Elena was there to greet us. She is THE sweetest person you will meet - always making sure we were comfortable and happy!
We woke up the next morning to the most spectacular views. We booked the Junior Suite so we had our private sun loungers where we could take in the incredible views of the caldera.
The room was always cleaned spotlessly and breakfast was wonderfully made by Elena everyday.
The hotel was located pretty central in Oia which made walking around a breeze.
I would absolutely come back to stay here again - this was a trip of a lifetime and staying at the the Caldera Villas with their cave-style bathrooms gave it a real authentic Greek feel.

Room Tip: Get at least the Junior Suite to get the sun loungers and your private section of the balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I read the reviews and ignored the ones about the steep stairs. I've been to Santorini many times so thought it was an over exaggeration by a few princesses. I offer my sincerest apologies to those people. Those stairs are the worst on the entire island. They don't even provide a handrail for stability and the stairs are more slippery than the sea you might fall into if you trip. Atrocious and it really affected our time at the villas. Being trapped in paradise is still being trapped. I nearly went mental. And I ended up rolling my ankle on those steps.

Having to plan to get back to the hotel before dark is not something I like to be doing on holiday and yet we were forced to because of the stairs. Needless to say we complained and were offered other more suitable accommodation - which was still down stairs but very reasonable considering it was Santorini.

My partner and I were are in our late 20's and very fit, and we looked like a cartoon trying to get down those stairs without a fatality. I don't know how others have done it - and we were at the top of the hotel! I can't imagine what it's like getting down to the bottom.

As far as the room went it was nice enough, spectacular view but it wasn't five star. The seal on the fridge was broken and the spa had a massive crack. The Bulgarian cleaning lady was a star. I had a nice chat with her but all in all the location of this hotel really lets it down.

I plead with the owners to look into the safety of the hotel. Get some lighting and handrails AT THE VERY LEAST! Falling into the ocean off a Santorini cliff is not my idea of adventure.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MforMelbourne
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The views from this hotel are amazing. Just beautiful. The rooms themselves are actually pretty basic but nicely decorated. The bathrooms not so much and very dark. The steps are a bit of a trek but a great way to keep fit. The pool is small but nice and relaxing. By far the best part of our stay was the staff. Elena was a superstar. She's totally mental but was so kind and generous. She made the best breakfasts and would give us little treats such as fresh strawberries whilst we sat by the pool. She even loaned us her own beach umbrella to save us having to buy one.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple