“Wonderful!”

Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in Oia
Ooltewah, Tennessee
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

Our experience at Alexander's was unsurpassed!. The facilities were immaculte, the staff beyond helpful, and the island gorgeous! This was a "10" vacation to be sure. We often commented that if we hadn't of stayed at Alexander's, it wouldn't have been the wonderful vacation. Staying at Alexander's made our trip (6 of us.) We could not have stayed at a more perfect place. I still owe him pics of the plates that broke in the typical Greek tradition. I will post those soon!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Baton Rouge, LA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

We just got back from our nightmare of a vacation to Greece (3 days in Athens, 4 days in Oia) and I have never been more happy to actually get BACK from vacation before! From the get go this place was a problem. At check in, we walked down to the reception area and waited to be helped. When the receptionist lady was able to get to us, she tells us we are early and we'd have to wait "5 minutes" while they got the key for the room and prepped the reservation or whatever, etc. Well, evidently in Oia, 5 minutes means half an hour, and to make it worse, you have to wait outside under an umbrella. Usually, no big deal, but at most other tropical or beach type of vacation spots, they'll give you some sort of refreshment to make your wait a little easier. Not at Alexander's! We had just gotten off of a plane, immediately hopped in a taxi, rode for 30 minutes, walked with our luggage, and they didn't even have as much as a glass of water! Totally inexcusable in my opinion.
Again, let me reiterate.... I am NOT a difficult person when traveling... I let a lot of stuff slide because I just don't let things get to me, if you know what I'm trying to say.
My wife and I tend to try to give the hotel staff a break when we stay somewhere so we don't require room cleaning everyday. After all, we are normal people, not royalty, so I don't care if my room is spotless every single day during my trip. To save on energy costs and water consumption, we'll reuse towels as well. Anyway, the first morning we put a do not disturb tag on the door before we ventured out to the town, because we didn't feel like we 1.) needed a cleaning of the room, since we hadn't even unpacked anything (got in way late because of a delayed flight, which was a very common occurance in Greece) and 2.) we generally don't like strangers amist our stuff, especially in a foreign country. Well, when we came back, the sign was gone from the door and the room had been done. I know most will read this and say "big deal", but these "little things" really add up at this place.
The entire time there was one guy there who spoke English better than the other male staffers, but he was pretty disgusted with a recent change to his schedule and frequently got into it with the other workers and managers. It just created awkward moments. Also, most of the male help there were a little too eager to get an eyeful of my wife, which I can understand, after all she is very beautiful, but damn, keep your eyes in their sockets, at least while I'm standing RIGHT THERE!!
We are not the type to watch a ton of TV on our trips, but I do think it's important to have some sort of news channel for all languages at every hotel. Had we had a news channel, we would have known about the volcano erupting again the Friday before we were supposed to leave and could have made a more informed decision once our flights got backed up due to a 2 hour delay in Santorini due to the high winds on the island.... the return trip deserves it's own page, but i'm not going to include that here.... Also, at least have the option of a mini bar! At 3am, when you are thirsty and there is no potable water, you are screwed if you don't lug a bunch of water from a near by local market.
And the major reason I decided to give my opinion on this place was how not helpful they were with the information at checkout. The day before we left we went to the office to check out because our flight was very early in the morning and we asked about taxi service. Our flight was for 6:55am, so we wanted to have the taxi pick us up at 5am, but the receptionist did her own thing, set it up for 5:30am, and swore up and down that 1 hour would be enough time at the airport for our flight. Well, let me tell you how DEAD WRONG this woman was!!! Normally, I'm pretty calm and collected, not really a vocally disapproving person, but if i would have saw the woman again, I more than for sure would have let her have it!!!! If the flight would have been on time, we would have missed it, as we were still waiting to get to the ticket counter because we were so far back in the line because we showed up so late due the receptionist's refusal to do what the customer wanted her to do.

I'm not going to tell you not to stay here, but I would say if you do book here, just beware that it will a headache and a half. Not all of the stress from the nightmare of a vacation came specifically from this hotel (we had to battle the threats of the riots in Athens, delayed flights,less than ideal weather, horrible winds, volcanic ash, an unplanned overnight stay in London, etc), but this place totally ruined Santorini for me, and Santorini was at the very top of my "to visit" list... majorly expensive dissapointment, to say the least

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chRxis
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

From the moment we arrived, the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The Diamond Suite where we stayed was charming and truly unique. The best part, the view from the terrace, was stunning. We enjoyed the hot tub each day after touring the island. Breakfast each morning was complimentary and very lovely. We received many helpful touring tips from the staff and enjoyed their company very much. The location is great - close to shopping, a convenience store and a nice restaurant across the street. Our experience at Alexander's was over-the-top and we would recommend it to anyone planning a memorable vacation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 15th anniversary at Alexander's. We had visited Santorini and Alexander's a few years ago and knew we wanted to return. This time we were there for six nights and just had the greatest time. Besides the fact that it sits in a spot with breathtaking views in every direction, we just can't imagine a better place all around to stay. Not only is the hotel beautiful with every room carefully thought out, but Alex is a a marvelous host, Vicky and Acia keep things running smoothly and are delightful company as well and the other staff was just marvelous to meet our every need. We were in the Ruby Villa this time and were served a lovely breakfast on our patio every day. We loved the comraderie of the hotel staff and the other guests and in such a small hotel we met many of the guests and enjoyed evenings on the main patio with that spectacular caldera view. We can't wait to return to Santorini and visit Alex, Vicky, Acia and the others.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

Alexander's was perfect. The cave two bedroom suite was amazing..the views from our patio were like a picture postcard. The location perfect ..we walked to dinner every night..hot tub was a treat..as the weather was still a bit chilly..nice breakfast served out on our patio..the entire staff was great and helpful..not a thing negative I could find..i would love to return soon

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

We stayed at Alexander's just before the high season began, which essentially gave us exclusive rights to Oia! "Quiet" hardly describes our experience, which is what we wanted. Alexander's Hotel was perfect. We stayed in the Emerald cave, a charming room with a small kitchen and access to the veranda and shared hot tub. We had the hot tub to ourselves, but that was a perk of coming during the off-season. Alexander is a charming host, who actually hangs around and works hard to be sure his guests are served properly. The caldera view is magnificent, although the reknoned Oia sunset can't be seen from Alexander's veranda. No sweat. The sunset can still be enjoyed from there, and if you really need to actually see the sun on the horizon, take a short and terrific walk up, around and through the village. Alexander's offers a free breakfast, served by a great staff. Keep in mind that the hotel is built into the caves, so you have to take a long walk down some steep steps to get to your room (that means you ALSO have to walk up!). It's easy to find. Look for the only telephone booth along the main street. Alexander's is right below it. Warning, it ain't cheap!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

Wow, after reading these recent reviews, I am shocked! I am glad my husband and I didn't read those (although we had read earlier posts) before we left! We had a wonderful experience, and wish we could return tomorrow! The room was perfect (we stayed in Emerald), service was prompt and not too much/not too little (as far as privacy), tasty breakfasts, plenty of information regarding the sights, restaraunts, and transportation, and of course the view was incredible! We had no complaints other than that we had to leave after 5 days. We stayed in Athens the next two nights, and it was quite a "different" experience. We are hoping to return for our anniversary, and would highly recommend Alexander's Boutique to anyone.
~ Matt & Kim~