“Alexander's was perfect in every way!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexander's Boutique Hotel of Oia

Alexander's Boutique Hotel of Oia
Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Oia
americans, living abroad
“Alexander's was perfect in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

We honestly cannot give Alexander's enough credit. The entire staff made our stay ahhhh-mazing. From the moment I booked our stay, I knew that we were in good hands. The personal touch is truly not lost on this quaint boutique hotel. We were lucky enough to have caught the charming owner, Alexander, during the off-season, and we feel honored to have spent our time in Oia in his excellent care. What a wonderful opportunity we had to break bread with this well traveled and interesting gentleman!
The renovated rooms cut into the caves on the cliffs of Oia were immaculate, well kempt, and brightly lit by the sky and sea. Our room was a perfect combination of the authentic feel of cave dwelling, with all the modern amenities that one would expect in a five star hotel. Each time we return to Santorini, and we hope that we will have many opportunities, we will return to Alexander's every time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

After a beautiful scenic ride up the mountain to our hotel we were surprised for a short trip to paradise. At the time of our arrival we were kindly greeted with coffee and traditional athinian cookies seated by the most beautiful view in my life. Quite honestly after visiting many countries I have never experienced such peaceful serenity in the midst of paradise. Aside from the view that Alexander's boutique offer it also welcomes you with an exquisite setting within the Imperial Suite. Breakfast is served on your terrace while relaxing in your jacuzzi.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed here 3 nights for our honeymoon in Feb 2010, being upgraded to the Diamond Suite. Fantastic view, one of the best location in Oia to have the caldera view. Free Wifi and great breakfast!

• Stayed March 2010
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

Santorini is a magical place, and for us the magic started the moment we walked through the cobble stone arch entrance of Alexander's Boutique Hotel. We were upgraded to the Blue Diamond Imperial Suite, which was impeccably and tastefully appointed by Alexander the owner and which came with a view that was simply sublime - we even got to watch the famous Oia sunset from the patio ouside our suite. Alexander himself was the gracious host during our five-day stay at the hotel around Christmas time, and he did everything to make sure this would be the most memerable Christmas vacation our family ever took - including a special (and delicious) Christmas dinner with him, his beautiful daughter and other hotel guests at his favorite restaurant in Fira that almost last until 2 AM! Add to it the friendly staff and the quiet but still convenient location, and you can understand why I'm already thinking about booking our next stay at the Alexander's Boutique Hotel as I write this review...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2010

The owner Alex was really friendly and thoughtful to arrange for a special Christmas dinner at a restaurant for all the guests to know one another and to celebrate the special day.

As it was winter (off peak), the streets were wonderfully empty and the place was very romantic.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Fremont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2010

When I first entered Alexander's Boutique Hotel's cobble stone arch door upon our arrival, the stunning view immediately took my breath away. Our family spent only two nights there, but I wish we could stay longer. The breakfast at the patio outside our suite was served by friendly staff. Our breakfast turned into a three hour brunch as we enjoyed the magnificent view of the surrounding including the volcanoe and Aegena Sea, too beautiful to leave. Some people may find the location off the main street a bit inconvenient, but that is what I wanted in my stay, hidden from hectic traffic with a sense of privacy. The cave house is truly an experience if one has never tried before. Since the manager Vicky was on vacation, the owner of hotel himself (of course, Alexander is really his name) spent quite a bit of his time with us ensuring everything is taking care. He even drove us around to his favorite restaurant and had dinner together on our first night there. I now understand why so many of the the movie scenes in "Santorini Blue" was shot at Alexander's Boutique Hotel. This movie is due out the Summer of 2010, and Alexander himself is part of the cast with a small role. I can see many beautiful spots from the hotel where the director would focus his camera to present Oia and the Santorini beauty. I certainly would come back some day, and who knows may be make a movie of my own there. At least the video I took from this trip has received great review from my extended families, as they were able to see what a beautiful place Alexander has without being there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
State College, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

I made the reservations in May for a September visit and reconfirmed them to be sure. So, I was dismayed, on arrival, to be told that there was a mix up with our dates and that perhaps they could find a place for us up across the road with perhaps an upgrade for the second night. I had confirmed these reservations twice, so I knew there should be no mistake. I had emails to back this up. In the end, with perseverance, we got a caldera view cave house -- not the one that I had carefully reserved months before, but a smaller one with with a creaky cot (at the same price as the larger one). The manager explained to me that she was at the mercy of staff in Athens whom I later contacted and from whom I never got a response.

On the positive side: the cave houses were lovely if basic, the view fantastic, breakfast wonderful, the housekeeping staff pleasant and efficient.

On the negative side: Beside its unreliability, the hotel is a bit of a walk out of town down a busy single lane road with no parking and no easy place to unload.

Bottom line: no matter how beautiful the view, if a confirmed and double confirmed reservation is not a reservation at Alexander's Boutique Hotel, then why not go to any of a number of better and more reliable places in town? Read below and you will see that my experience is not unique. Is it worth risking your vacation? Just say no.

• Stayed September 2009