“Every morning was a pinch yourself moment”

1864 The Sea Captain's House
Ranked #29 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed June 29, 2011

From the moment we met by Tony we realised that this was going to be just a bit special. Our bags were carried by a very happy and healthy donkey to 1864 The Sea Captains House, otherwise known as "paradise".

Our room was the "Venetian" suite. Simple but spotless and beautifully furnished. Our small terrace outside rewarded us with "that view"! As we sat each morning sipping champagne and eating our scrumptious breakfast, we felt like VIPs. Our maid Romi tended to our every need . She was engaging, fun and nothing was ever too much trouble. Tony the proprietor was chilled calm but always eager to make our stay memorable, he made us feel special.

A couple of things to get used to were the hoards of day-trippers from the cruise-liners who wanted the same view as us. Their heads often bobbed just below our terrace but didn't
detract from our enjoyment as we were sitting in our "first class" elevated position.

Tony pre booked us into "Ambrosia" which situated a small walk away (owned by the same people as 1864 along with another restaurant "Nectar" .This restaurant is the very best on the island and holds very fond memories for both myself and my wife. I proposed in the very same restaurant in 2009 and somehow Tony had secured the very same table we sat at on our special night lat year..... For someone so relaxed Tony doesn't miss much!

Our biggest complaint was we had to leave and go back to the real world. Thank you Tony and Romi for everything

A & N

3  Thank Kingy87

Reviewed June 27, 2011

From the quaint donkey that ferries your bags to the hotel, to Tony, the cosmopolitan host with all the answers and great suggestions about the island, this boutique hotel is the place for your Santorini getaway. Despite the fact that our patio was a tourist fave for photo opportunities, we had privacy, luxury, and service in a great setting. And after 7 days on a small sailing boat, the quick laundry turnaround was a pleasant and efficient surprise. Definitely our place to stay on Santorini.

2  Thank maddiera
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We were looking for a romantic break for my birthday and decided to book the Sea Captain's House and Spa on the recommendation of friends who had previously stayed here. We were not disappointed.

The hotel is perched on the edge of the cliffs at Oia, one of the most picturesque places we have visited and our room had a private terrace with incredible views out across the stunning Aegean sea. We spent most of our first afternoon sitting on the terrace just marvelling at the breath taking beauty of it all.

The room itself was serene and rustic with great attention paid to the most important little details, such as fine quality white bed linen on the wrought iron four-poster bed, with French-style lace curtains framing windows with postcard views of clear blue water and spectacular pink sunsets.

Breakfast was served as early or late as we desired in our room and was always delightful, with a fantastic selection of delicious foods and a champagne or bellini if desired! On the morning of my birthday the wonderful staff sent me a vase of beautiful white lilies and a sparkler on our breakfast tray-it was just lovely.

On my birthday, I also visited the on-site spa for an Oia massage and was delighted by the treatment itself, and the professional masseuse Stefan.

Our house-keeper could not have been more professional and accommodating and Tony the owner manages the perfect balance of great service, helpfulness and discretion.

My partner wanted to plan a romantic surprise for me on the evening of my birthday and asked Tony for his assistance, and I returned from dinner to find that our room had been filled with red roses and candles when we were out dining. Tears ensued!

We visited many restaurants on the island and were slightly disappointed by the seafood, until we decided to try Tony’s own restaurant, Nektar & Ambrosia. We liked it so much that we returned every night for the remainder of the week! Highlights for me were the Calamari and the Shrimps. It is not actually a seafood restaurant but is doing a better job in my opinion than anywhere else, and my partner who is a meat lover thoroughly enjoyed his various meat dishes too.

I would highly recommend a visit to this delightful hotel and spa.

2  Thank Sue S
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed in the Falling Stars Suite and it was just as everyone had said - just beautiful! It's not modern or funky, it's classic and classy with every little detail thought of - the art work on the walls, to bottles of water and juice in the fridge, also plunger coffee and a breakfast you can order for anytime between 8am and 2pm. We splurged on this place as we were reuniting after 4 months apart and this Sea Captain's House was just the romantic spot we were after. The views are to die for. We could see sunrise and sunset pretty well from the private balcony. It's right in the heart of Oia but very quiet as it's slightly off the main walkway. There is a loft upstairs with another double bed so you could share the place but it's just so beautifully set up you don't want to share it with anyone but your loved one. The breakfasts were brought in by a wonderful Australian woman who set the table each morning(inside table or outside, whichever you choose) with a lot of care and gave us good tips about the island. I highly, highly recommend this place!!

Room Tip: The Falling Stars House is just perfection!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolynandrews
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Beautiful rooms accented with antiques and vintage finds. What a delight! Views were superb too. The owner, Tony, was helpful and kind but reserved to the point of being a bit cold. Antonio, the masseur, was also a bit cold. Tony also owns 2 restaurants: (1) Ambrosia; and (2) Nectar and Ambrosia. The food is good, but pricey. Overall we had a fun and excellent experience. The a/c was down and the spa was not heated. Some mold growth too.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
TheSeaCaptain, Owner at 1864 The Sea Captain's House, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Thanks - but a couple of easy corrections - 1. I do not own the Ambrosia Restaurant as my interest in it past some time ago to my business partner there. We do trade recipes however :-} 2. My restaurant is Nectar & Ambrosia - which most guests consider excellent but never 'pricey', check it out on Giada of the FoodNetwork and TripAdvisor, etc. 3. to say Antonio is 'a bit cold' is simply - silly; me - yes, I can be 'cold' if pushed that direction... which I didn't have from these guests at anytime during their stay. I thought we had some fun conversations about SF, Hawaii, the MidWest, real estate and their travels. I thought I was giving them their private time, especially when the greeting was "Thank you, Tony" 4. Yes, One of the two air conditioners was suddenly out of order in their complimentary upgraded suite - which was corrected by parts from Athens but sadly on the day they moved as planned to the Villa Ambrosia. Luckily we don't have heat spells in May. 5. The 'spa' mentioned is the outdoor jacuzzi of Villa Ambrosia that is heated naturally by the sun...in May at night that can be chilly, yes. 6. 'some mold growth' is not something I tolerate, ugh. Despite these - I'm glad they had an "excellent experience". We try our best.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed at the Falling Stars House which held a captivating view of the caldera from its balcony. Tourists were craning their necks trying to get shots of the view while we were able to see it all day and night. Tony met us from our taxi and was very gracious in answering any of our questions and was very helpful. The room was lovely and we were served a wonderful breakfast every morning as we enjoyed the view. The only room for improvement would be the bathroom which could use some tender loving care in updating its look. But overall the experience was memorable and we hope to return!

Room Tip: Ask for the Falling Stars House for the best view!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank stravels6

Thank you. Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay, the breakfast and the postcard type views to the sea, caldera and volcano. I agree, the bathroom is next for some additional work, good point. Some marble to replace the tile work is planned. We'll keep the White Company linens and Bulgari & l'Occitane extras. Thanks !

Reviewed May 29, 2011

The accomodations are gorgeous, the views breathtaking. Everything you could hope for and wish for. Fantastic massages. Excellent location, a few steps from all the action, yet quiet and secluded. This is the place to fulfill your dreams. Great suggestions from staff, excellent care, gracious manners.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends