“The Absolute Best in Santorini..”

Ikies - Traditional Houses
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Oia
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“The Absolute Best in Santorini..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

I planned this trip sometime ago with the intention of proposing to my girlfriend in Santorini.. I realised from my first email to Loella (Ikies) that this would be something special, I won't go on too much - but it was an amazing experience...the location (we stayed in the Carpenters room) and the service we received was beyond my expectations.. It offers more privacy than some of the other options in Oia and the friendly and efficient staff really make it a delightful place to be....the view is the best as it is located at the beginning of Oia and looks towards the sea and Oia village....sunsets were amazing and most importantly she said YES.. Try the private boat trip with Captain George..

1 Thank Keremete

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

The staff are so friendly and would organise anything and everything for us. It made our stay so easy.

I have a gluten allergy and they brought in other food that I could eat which was wonderful.

The views are spectacular.

Oia is a lovelyl town not to be mistaken for a party town, this is definitely where you go to chill out and relax.

The breakfasts are amazing (including those with Champagne)

*make sure you get a room with its own jacuzzi!!

We'd definitely come back.

1 Thank melanie_r_ware
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

Spent 7 nights with Ikies for my honeymoon. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Amazing view, attention to detail, there was nothing I wanted that wasn't already provided without having to ask. First class.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

I would thoroughly recommend Ikies to anyone visiting Santorini and Oia.
The view, overlooking Oia, was just perfect.
The hotel is set up in such a way that you can feel as though you and your partner are the only ones there.
The location on the edge of Oia is fine. Its a short and enjoyable stroll into the centre of Oia itself.
What really sets it apart though is the service, and attention to detail. The rooms are well appointed and very well maintained. The service staff are friendly and very helpful with any requests. The breakfasts are excellent also, and so nice to have them served to your own balconies.
We stayed in the Gardeners room, the smallest room, for a couple of nights and yes its small but I actually really liked it. Its cosy and has a really nice vibe.
I think it was good value for money also.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yoyo4
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Ikies for 9 nights in September/October 2009. I had read all the reviews and was so looking forward to celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary there. We chose the Captain's House.

There are many aspects to Ikies that enable me to recommend it as a unique place to stay however, I do not think it deserves a 5 star rating. On a positive note, the view of the caldera is absolutely stunning and we so enjoyed watching the sun go down every evening at the same time. The Captain's House was nicely presented in a rustic Greek style. Unfortunately we had trouble with ants which invaded our kitchen, but I just wiped them up every day and got on with it. The biggest negative for us was the bed. I have slept on a futon for much of my married life, but this was not a firm and flat futon, but uneven and lumpy. By the end of our stay I had a chronic back problem and was in such pain I found it hard to sit in a chair. The day bed mattresses contributed to this discomfort, also. It resolved itself as soon as we returned home to our supportive bed. I would suggest that most middle aged people, who need to look after their back, would have similar problems.

The village of Oia is a very beautiful place to visit and we had a great time eating at a variety of restaurants and exploring all the nooks and crannies. It is full of shops and very commercialised, but the views are so beautiful and the food is great. It is a bit of a walk into the village, from Ikies, but great leg exercise walking up and down the stairs. It was a little scary walking along the strip where you have to go on the edge of the road. The traffic speeds along and if 2 vehicles meet you have to flatten yourself against the wall to avoid being hit, or try to make it to a doorway in time. This was particularly hair raising at night.

The village is full of dogs, most of which are fed communally and don't belong to anyone in particular. They lie around in the sun and add to the atmopshere of the place but dog poo can be a problem so you have to watch where you walk! At night a bit of a pack mentality develops and we saw them chasing cars abd getting a bit aggressive. I saw a tourist pat one and have her hand grabbed in a dog's teeth, much to her alarm.

End of September is a great time to go to Santorini. The weather was still beautiful but the main tourist season was over, making it very easy to get into restaurants. A few cruise ships were still arriving, giving some idea of the chaos on the streets where you can hardly move for people, but it was generally easy to move around.

The service at Ikies is very good, and they are very friendly and appoachable. I mentioned I was gluten free and special food was placed in our room to cater for my needs, which I really appreciated. Breakfast on the deck was lovely, every morning, but got a little boring after 9 days. I was craving for a cooked, protein breakie by the time we left!

All that said, we had a most enioyable and memorable time on Santorini and Ikies is a lovely place to stay. But you are really paying for the position and the view, as it a not 5 star hotel. But staying in a traditional cave house is what Greece is all about, so it was lovely to have the experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shells57
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

We were looking forward to a 1 week 'chill out' holiday and boy did this place deliver. Our room (sailors house) was next to the quiet pool and had a private terrace for breakfast and evening drinks. The view from the terrace was spectacular - looking down into the caldera and armeni bay. The staff were simply wonderful, pleasant, helpful, relaxed, friendly - there when you wanted them and disappeared when you didn't! Breakfast and the other snacks provided were tasty, fresh and good value. We had not planned to be too adventurous with out time, mostly relaxing by the pool - sunloungers always available and comfy - complementary ice cream a definite bonus! Stay here, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catabella
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Ikies during our honeymoon and we absolutely loved it. The staff was warm and welcoming, our room was great (we stayed in the House of the Carpenter); it was like a private apartment, spacious, beautifully situated into the cliffs of Oia and the jacuzzi and breathtaking views were also a great touch. The service, food and hospitality was all top notch. Santorini is a simply beautiful place and the Ikies is a wonderful place to stay if you want to positively remember your experience forever!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple