“Fantastic Room, Fantastic Service”
Review of Chelidonia Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oia
Chelidonia Villas
Ranked #28 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Dallas Texas
“Fantastic Room, Fantastic Service”
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We just got back from our all too short trip to Greece and our stay at the Chelidonia Villas was nothing short of spectacular. While the breathtaking views are one of the primary selling points for this property, the privacy and comfort of the Chelidonia Villas is nothing short of spectacular...truly the ideal choice when basing your Santorini visit in Oia.

That said owners Erika and Trioffilo (spelling) provided the personal
touch that made our stay there truly memorable. Trioffilo was a fountain of information and provided a unique perspective since he was one of the few Oia natives born before the earthquake and still living in the village. The stories behind the Villas and the remaking of Oia are wonderful. Also, be sure to ask him about his budding winery of which he should be very proud. His semi-sweet (almost sherry like wine) was a real find.

The villas are the perfect romantic getaway. We stayed in the Kadio room which was conveniently situated only one flight down from the Main street and very close to a grocery store, bakery and pizza/ice cream parlor. The location was absolutely wonderful! As for privacy,
there was a nearby Villa next door to ours that we could occasionally
hear the comings and goings of the other guests, but it wasn't an issue as we really only experienced this in the mornings when we sat out on the veranda to enjoy the sunrise and our breakfast and coffee.
Once inside the Villa or "Cave," you felt like you had total privacy.
In fact, if you shut the windows completely, it was as if the world disappeared and you were the only two people that existed. While we were there the temperature was quite warm, but the Villa always stayed cool. Nonetheless, Triofolo can show you how to make it almost
frigid if you prefer.

I will say that you should spend a day going out to the volcano and maybe another day going to see some of the other sites on the island,
but really the best times we had were spent in Oia itself. Try going out for a swim down in Ammoudi and watching the sunset off one of the rocks in the Ocean...but make sure you take your swim shoes as there are sea urchins in the area. The next time we visit we will be very content to just spend our time tooling around Oia and lounging at our Chelidonia Villa.

• Liked — The personal touch from the owners
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stressboy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Auckland N Z
Reviewed June 26, 2007

After 4 weeks of travelling we ended our holiday with 5 wonderful nights at Chelidonia Villas in Oia, Santorini. Oia can be overrun with tour groups from cruises but the villas are just far enough from the main footpath to ensure privacy and peace and quiet yet are only a minute from restaurants and shops. The 2 bedroom villa ( really a cave house) we had was perfect. They are light and airy,well equiped with a simple but adequate kitchen, a large private tiled bathroom with fresh towels daily and a delightfully furnished living room. The terrace had comfy loungers and a large market umbrella ( really necessary in the very hot sun) as well as a marble topped table with extra seating where we spent many hours reading and gathered together for breakfast and pre dinner drinks.Even candles were provided in lanterns for evening ambience. The owner was most helpful with information when needed and allowed us unlimited internet use. He also welcomed our 21 year old daughter and provided a foldaway bed although she was not booked in.

The very best thing however was the view. It was stunning. we could look down into the sea, watch the mules climbing back up the steps in the afternoon, look back along the length of the island and out over the ocean to the island of Thirassia.We would recommend this place to anyone as although not in the luxury class every element we needed was there with buckets of charm thrown in.

• Liked — The view and the accommodation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary-53-2004
London
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I spent a long time researching before eventually deciding to book a week's holiday for my husband and I at the Chelidonia Villas. We arrived late at night and were warmly welcomed by the owner, Rose. The cave villa was even more charming than I imagined from the photographs: spotlessly clean; well furnished; spacious and very comfortable. After a wonderful, peaceful night's sleep (it is so quiet) we stepped out onto the balcony and nothing could have prepared us for the magnificent view looking across the water to the Caldera. Having picked this accommodation primarily for it's location in Oia and the spectacular view we were not in the slightest bit disappointed.

With hindsight I think that it would have been better to hire a car for the week rather than use taxis. Generally we were able to book them quite easily but on Tuesday when they are doing all the airport runs it was almost impossible to get one.

Overall we had a wonderful holiday, the owners were warm and helpful and gave us good recommendations of places to eat. I would highly recommend these villas, especially to couples looking for a peaceful, romantic getaway in an idyllic setting.

• Liked — Location and view
  • Disliked — Sometimes hard to get a taxi
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue027
South Africa
Reviewed June 19, 2007

My husband & I chose Chelidonia after months of searching through TripAdvisor. It was absolutely everything we had read and more. We absolutely cannot agree with the previous writer who seemed disheartened. Our bathroom & shower were gorgeous. We had beautiful clean towels everyday. The villa was spotless. The deck chairs extremely comfortable. The view was spectacular. Chelidonia and Santorini were the highlight of our holiday on the greek islands. Erica & Rose saw to all our needs. It was a special-special couple of days and we hope to be priviledged enough to visit them again in the future.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Murrae
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2007

I booked Cheladonia Villas after reading all the very positive reviews by other travellers. When I got there I thought I must be in a different place, because I was totally unimpressed. I'd specifically stated I had an elderly relative with me who couldn't use stairs - no problem I'm told - we have a villa almost on street level. "Almost" turned out to be 26 steps down. We booked two villas (mine was one floor below - a mere 48 steps down - try lugging your suitcases up and down that lot!) and both villa's we felt were slightly "damp" - they are after all built into the hillside and it's impossible to air them through thoroughly. Shower - well they're only hand held things like you have over your bath, so a not really a shower (no hooks to hang the heand held units on either). Towels supplied were so hard you could use them to clean the pots and pans.
There is wireless internet available - but you can't receive it inside the villa's - so you need to be on your verandah to use it - which isn't easy in the full sunlight.
Deckchairs are supplied - why not sunloungers????
Verandah's vary immensely from very spacious to tiny and cramped (and some only see the sun in the afternoon)
And why don't they wake up to the 21st century and accept credit cards - instead had to make bank transfers to book and pay the balance in cash.
Would I go again - not a hope! I felt it was very poor value for money (lots of cheaper and I thought better accomodation nearby) - and I'd probably book in Kamira instead of Oia - it's about a third of the cost - and with the saving you can hire a car and easily visit Oia (which will only keep you occupied for one or two days anyway) - and you'll also save on food - Oia is just "tourist prices" - like 11 euro for a continental breakfast - which you can get for 3.5euro in Kamira. And Kamira is flat AND you can park right beside your villa or hotel (300 yards away uphill at Cheladonia) - AND you don't have a mountain climb with your luggage to get to and from your room.

I'm sure the owners are nice people - but they aren't half creaming it!

• Liked — It's a handy location if you don't mind mountain climbing to get to the shops
  • Disliked — Damp, more 2/3 star than 4/5 star
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank nelliefraser
Morrisville, NC
Reviewed March 19, 2007

Our Chelidonia villa stay was spectacular! The view of the caldera from our private patio was unbelievable. The villa itself very nicely accomodated our family of two parents and two teenagers(boy/girl). We had a two bedroom with additional rollaway in the living area. Adequate kitchenette for the little cooking we did. Bathroom huge, especially by European standards. Owner was very friendly and helpful with restaurant suggestions, since many places were not yet open for the season. This was an idyllic vacation. Would highly recommend to everyone I know.

• Liked — View, uniqueness of cave dwelling.
  • Disliked — No negatives.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank NCTravMorrisville
Tiverton Rhode Island
Reviewed December 27, 2006

I've been wanting to write a review since our trip in October. After reading the last two reviews I had to just take the time.

I don't think the last two reviews can even be about Chelidonia Villias. They have no pool or TV's!!!! and the next review said it was a 10-15 minute walk to the center of Oia and Chelidonia is in the center of Oia!! Also, their website explains how they would arrange for a taxi ride to the villas. Erika was always responsive to any emails I sent with questions and arrange for a taxi to pick us up at the airport.

Chelidonia is not a "hotel" but a perfect collection of cave houses. It was my dream to go to Santorini and stay in a traditional cave house with a view of the caldera, and Chelidonia fulfilled my dream. The house was perfect, not fancy, very plain and traditional with a fantastic view. Rose and Erika were very helpful with information about restaurants, car rentals and any quesions we had. I would recommend this villa to anyone looking for a beautiful, quite spot without all the fancy amenities.

• Liked — View
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple