“Follow-up on my first post about Chelidonia”
Review of Chelidonia Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oia
Chelidonia Villas
Ranked #31 of 58 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I recently wrote a post on my first night at Chelidonia. At that time, I was so impressed with Rose's (the owner) hospitality and service, I felt compelled to write immediately. After spending 5 days/nights there, I'd like to follow-up that post. After my entire stay, I frankly cannot say enough good things about Rose and Ericka, their hospitality and the overall quality of Chelidonia Villas. Rose not only made sure our lost luggage found its way back to us (which I am quite sure would not have happened that quickly and efficiently without his advocacy and persistence), but things only got better from there. Rose gave us great advice on what services and restaurants to try and never steered us wrong. He suggested the Catamaran tour, and though a bit pricey, I could not have been happier to have followed his advice - we did a sunset cruise that was simply exquisite. He always took time to chat and help us in any way we needed. In fact, one day we wanted to rent a car, so he made the reservation for us. The couple we met in the rental place had been waiting some time to get their rental straightened out, while we were up and done, and in our car in about 15 minutes. One night, we arrived back to our apartment to find half a watermelon had mysteriously appeared in our refrigerator! When I had to leave at about 5AM, they made sure my bag was safely transported to the taxi company the night before (even staying up late and giving me needed extra time to pack), and the taxi was right on time. The room was clean and pristine every day. Rose and Ericka's son, Leandros, was equally delightful and hospitable, and whenever we ran into him around the island, made sure to come say hello and check in on us. Overall, I cannot say enough about how terrific my experience at Chelidonia was and I completely recommend it to anyone staying in Oia - it was worth every nickel I spent. I have not idea what others on this site are complaining about - I absolutely LOVED my stay and Chelidonia and would totally stay there again should I ever make it back to Oia.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mara108

Reviewed July 6, 2014

After a week in Rome at a 5 star hotel, amazing weather and ancient history galore, anything after that would be a tough act to follow. Just the opposite! The flight into Santorini was uneventful, the airport was small, uncrowded and no hassles with customs. Our driver was coordinated by Chelidonia Villas and was right on time. The trip from the airport is about 30 minutes and gave us just enough time to shift into the islands slower pace and drink in the amazing blue of the ocean. The town of Oia is the furthest from the airport and by far the most scenic.
Upon arriving at the villas, we were greeted by Chris the Porter for Chelidonia Villas. Before we even left the parking lot, Chris had already pointed out the local markets, Giro shop, and the bakery......OOOOOh that bakery! My mouth starts to water thinking of those treats!!! Chris told us about the local beaches, sites to see and even offered to pick us up if we went too far on one of our hikes. Chris gathered all our bags and took us to the office.
We met Mr. Rose in the cute and quaint office for the villas. He was informative and very nice. It was very apparent that Mr. Rose was no ordinary guy out to make a quick dollar buy renting apartments. The villas are very dear to him and almost apart of him. He knows the fine details of every villa, how it was carved into the hillside, and the history of the town. He matched us up perfectly with the villa below the church overlooking the harbor and the caldera. We received a bottle of local wine and some fresh fruit. The kitchen already had coffee, creamer, sugar and the basics.
Our villa was a single studio style with the offset bathroom and a functional kitchen. The ceilings were curved and the windows faced the Aegean Sea and the sunrise. Although the weather was warm outside, the villa stayed cool. The villa had air conditioning but we only used it part time.
In the mornings, we sat on the stone deck, had fresh coffee and pastries from the local bakery while we watched the sunrise and planned our day. In the evenings, we returned to the villa and deck, sipped local Santorini wine and bathed in the glow of the sunset. To really enjoy Santorini, watch the locals, see where they eat, when they nap, and what they do for fun and just relax. During the days, we hiked to the local beaches toured the many shops and watched the famous sunsets.
I need to say, I read the previous review and we were there at the same time. There was a break in the main water pipe to the town that was fixed in a day. The water from the tap had a slight tint which is very normal. All the villas and the town had the same issue. We didn't let it bother us at all. We've seen tinted water, in Mexico, California, Canada, Alaska, Arizona, Japan, France, and England. We showered in it, brushed our teeth with it and.....no issues. I'm sorry about the other couple, but this is Greece......go with it.
One other recommendation is the Catamaran day trip. The boat is first class and the Captain and crew are top notch. There are two trips, the morning sail and the sunset sail. We went on the morning sail and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cost was reasonable and included a nice lunch and open bar......yes, more of that Santorini wine.
We're back in San Diego now, yet I find myself missing the stories from Mr. Rose and Erika and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All the villas are extremely quite. Some face the sunrise and others face the sunset. Figure out i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mikkcin
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Our stay at Chelidonia Villas spoiled our time in Santorini during our honeymoon. There was brown water coming out of all of our faucets and an ant problem in the kitchen. To make things worse, when we asked that brown water issue be corrected, the owner of the hotel became hostile and yelled at us. He shouted that even though there was dirt in the water "it wasn't dirty". He told us that we "weren't normal" for asking for clean water. His rage towards us was simply unacceptable and really soured our time in this place.

The owner did finally make arrangements for a new hot water heater to be installed the last morning of our stay. However, this water issue really disrupted our stay--we had to brush our teeth with bottled water, couldn't wash dishes, and were forced to take cold showers.

What made this a truly horrible experience for us was Mr. Rose's rage towards us and abrasive attitude. Clean and potable water is a basic requirement of a hotel. The hotel owner failed to provide this for 2/3 of our stay. While pluming issues are understandable and can happen anywhere, a hotel ought to respond to this issue with courtesy, rather than anger towards guests.

If you want to enjoy your time in Greece, DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Patrick D
Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 unforgettable nights at Chelidonia Villas this past May. I had a good first impression, even before we arrived, as Erika went out of her way to accommodate our reservation fee payment. She further arranged for pick-up to the villa from the harbor, which made our journey there stress-free. After we were dropped-off, Chris, the helpful and hardworking groundskeeper, met us to carry our bags to the hotel front office for our check-in, and then on to our villa. Our room was incredible: including a large, comfortable bed; kitchen; modern bath; and balcony overlooking the caldera. The villa felt cozy and incredibly private, even though there were fellow guests staying right next door. Breakfast is not included with this reservation; but we enjoyed living as temporary locals by shopping the nearby market and bakery the night before, then eating breakfast on our patio in our pajamas the next morning. The views are breathtaking, and the location is close to excellent restaurants and Oia's famous sunset viewing spots. I would definitely stay here again.

I would note to anyone with health issues (heart, knees, back, etc.) that the trek to and from our villa was incredibly steep, and with lots of steps. My husband and I both routinely exercise, and still, we were out of breath, heart racing each time we climbed the steps from our villa to the main street. But, if you can manage, it's worth the effort.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna K
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Cheledonia Villas are true traditional Oia residences. Our villa was the furtherest from the street (93 steps below street level). The view from our top deck was unbelievable! I have a attached a photo to share. The villa was clean and well stocked. Mr. Rose even provided us with a small bottle of wine and fresh fruit. Erica handled all our reservations and arranged our transfer from the airport. She was extremely helpful and willing to answer all our questions. Additionally, Christian (who works for the owners) could not have been more kind and helpful. He helped make our stay even better. The villas are family run business, and the staff/owners truly care about making your vacation great.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank goherd1981
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I am unbelievably impressed with Chelidonia Villas. First off, the views are so unreal it is like you are looking at something painted on canvas. Second, the room is exquisite - clean and has everything you need, with all the little details like a converter plug for electronics, a brand new air conditioner, and outstanding newly installed Wi-Fi. But here's the real kicker that made me know I was in somplace truly special. After Aegean Airways mislabeled and lost our luggage, we arrived to Chelidonia with just our carry-on bags. Rose, the owner, was persistent in calling the airline multiple times to find out where our luggage was and making sure it got here. He called the airline at least 4-5 times, argued with them when they gave inconsistent stories, and refused to accept their story that they could not get us our luggage until tomorrow. He told them that tomorrow was simply unacceptable, and that they had to make it happen tonight. THEN, when they said they would not deliver it, he arranged for a taxi to get to the airport and retrieve our luggage and bring it here, at without asking us for any money to cover costs. I am off the charts impressed with the service here. It is clear that the owners here care so much about their guests that they will go to almost any length to make sure their needs are met. I don't think I have ever experienced this kind of service and hospitality. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mara S
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We recently stayed at Chelidonia and we rented the studio room for 3 days. With Erika's recommendation she arranged a pick up and drop off at the airport which really helped. We were given door to door service with our transport and bags which is a great start when not familiar with the lay of the land.

The views from the room are superb and the location is perfectly situated near the shops and great sunset views. An added bonus was the great wifi connection.

Room Tip: Be sure to choose a room higher up rather than down below as you'll have to negotiate more steps...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple