“Beautiful traditional apartment with excellent view”
Review of Chelidonia Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oia
Chelidonia Villas
Ranked #28 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I went to Oia as part of our honeymoon in July. You can request for pick-up on arrival, which costs 25 Euros. The drive is about 40 minutes from the airport. On the way you will see the main town of Fira, and you may start to think that maybe you should have been more centrally located, which is exactly what we thought as we drove more than 20 minutes past FIra to our hotel. However, we quickly learned that Oia is by far the most beautiful part of the island, and people from Fira flock daily there to view the sunset and stroll through streets. There is more than enough restaurants, bars and things to do in Oia, and if you want, FIra is only a bus or taxi ride away.

The apartments are carved into the hillside and all face the caldera. The hotel consists of independent apartments, that are simple and tastefully decorated. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the a/c worked well, and the kitchen was well-equipped for cooking. Bathroom was very large and well-maintained. Wifi is also available and works quite well if you are outside, but inside you may face connectivity issues. Either bring along a cable or request the owner for one if you plan on using internet inside.

A complimentary bottle of wine, some milk, coffee, tea and fruits were in the kitchen when we arrived. The owner of the hotel is local and the residences have been in his family for generations and they take great care and pride in maintaing the property. He even came by one evening with wine he had just made himself and offered us a bottle. He also recommended some restaurants, one of which we went back to several times. It is called Skala, and is located 2 minutes away from the hotel.

It is very hot in Santorini in the summers and the Bay is a perfect place to spend the hot day. The beaches nearby are all very rocky and rough, whereas at the Bay you can just jump right into calm waters. To get there, walk down the steps to Ammoudi Bay and take a left at the bottom. Walk past the restaurant and you will see a path. Be sure to wear proper shoes as you do have to climb over some rocks to get to the Bay. The way up is a long way. You can either walk up, hire a donkey, or request a shopkeeper to call a taxi. The taxi ride up is 8-10 Euros, which is pretty expensive given it is only a 3 minutes drive.

Overall, highly recommended!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank UjalaQ

Reviewed June 16, 2012

I visited Oia last September and stayed at the most remarkable place. Chelidonia is wonderful. I had a large room with a very comfortable bed, a kitchenette and a large bathroom. There was a patio in front with chairs, a table and umbrella. The view from my patio was amazing. I would arise each morning before sunrise, make coffee provided by the owners, sit on my patio and watch the most beautiful colors travel across the caldera. The owners were so friendly and helpful and I used their recommendations a lot. They have a satellite phone that is free, so I could call my husband in Spain and talk for a long time free! Wifi was free, also, so I could stay connected with home. The local restaurants had fresh produce and very good food and drink. Everyone in Oia was friendly. I went on a sailboat excursion, had dinner on Amoudi beach with a wonderful of the sunset. Before dinner, I sipped on the white wine I received as a welcome gift. This is a perfect place for someone to go alone as I did. I would love to return to Chelidonia one day.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were very happy with our selection. Their office is right on the main street and it has to be the cutest office/reception ever!
We arranged an airport pick up with the owner (25 Euros total, you will not find a better price) and they also took care of our luggage.
Chelidonia Villas is just a few steps away from the main place and Parking lot where all the buses and taxis stop/park. Very central location, still, it is a quiet place. The villa was very clean and you have everything you need to cook a meal. They have villas that are reachable only a few steps down or like the one we wanted - more steps but very private. All the villas have the best view in town. The owner was very informative, we loved the food at the restaurants he suggested. I think Santorini has really great food for the price.
I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: I'd say all the rooms are quiet and they all have a fantastic view.
1  Thank olalaoparis
Reviewed May 30, 2012

When choosing our hotel for our 4 nights in Santorini in early May, I thought that I would want to be right in the center of Oia, the prettiest town on the island. Cheldonia is certainly that and what a lovely setting it is. Built down a cliff, white washed and lovingly run by a family who takes pride in their ancestral property, it is a comfortable cave hotel. A/C worked well, drip coffee maker and coffee provided, cleaned daily and with fresh towels. But every hotel overlooking the caldera has the same magnificent view. And Chelidonia is pricey for what you get, which is mainly the view. And if I were doing it again, I might want to stay at a less expensive hotel with perhaps a pool, with the same caldera view.

Room Tip: If you are at all disabled, note that there are a lot of steps the further down the hill you go.
2  Thank cbcsw
Reviewed May 28, 2012

"Rose" (the owner) was very friendly. His sons work with him and are very helpful with baggage and recommendations. Make sure to set up a driver to pick you up at the airport or the port. Just give Chelidonia your info and they will have a driver waiting for you. You will likely be sharing a van we a couple or two. Depending on your room, there could be some stair involved in your journey to your room. The views are amazing and the cleaning staff did a great job cleaning up daily.

I assume most showers in Oia might be a bit small, so not a big deal, just thought we would point it out. Water "pressure" doesn't really exist since the shower pretty much uses gravity to run and without a shower wall, trying not to get the whole bathroom wet while showering was a challenge. Overall, not a big deal to us and why we will rated it 5 stars, just thought I would point it out (didn't ask about the other rooms).

1  Thank Texas9903
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Chelidonia Villas (in one of their studios) for 3 nights in early May. To start off, I must say that Erika was wonderful and very patient in answering our questions via e-mail (ferry times, flight schedules, etc) months ahead of our visit. When we arrived, Erika's husband provided us with a map of the area and gave us recommendations as to which restaurants and bakeries to try and the location of the mini-market. He was also very helpful in providing us with information for our Oia to Fira hike (very doable in 2.5 hours). The studio had a very homey feel to it. The kitchenette was small (fine for us since we didn't plan on cooking) with an electric stove top, mini fridge, sink, and other amendities like dishes, coffee maker, cups, pots, pans etc. I loved their coffee...you can make your own frappe and drink it on the porch! =)They also provided us with water and a bottle of wine to start off. We had a queen size bed and they changed our towels daily. All of their villas face the south side with some facing the south-west side. Although, you won't be able to see the sun set, you can see the sun rise and the south is warmer in the evening compared to the north. Most of the time, we spent got food from the bakery or take out from the restaurants and ate it on our porch....where it's quiet and more peaceful with great views!
The only downside that we found was that the shower stall didn't have any curtains or glass barrier so it was difficult not to flood the bathroom and the potatoe bugs (black fat beetle looking thing) crawling around. Also, the stairs leading to our cave house can be difficult for small children and those with knee/hip problems (however, they have other properties with better stairs so that shouldn't be a major concern provided you let them know in advance).

Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband and I went to Santorini with another couple, very good friends of ours and we all fell in love with this place!

We envisioned staying in a white washed villa perched on a cliffside, waking up to the views of the ocean and evenings sipping wine, chatting and marvelling at the water from our patio terrace and that's what we got!

Key things:

- We got a two bedroom villa with a large patio located about two flights of stairs below the main pedestrian street in Oia. The rooms are cozy renovated caves with a very homely living room and small kitchen equipped with basics (if anything is missing just ask). Bathroom is small but does the job. The view from the terrace was unbelievable - check out the photos. A few tips - although there is AC, it is located in the living room so you need to leave it on for a while to cool both rooms. We could not see the sun set from our villa but the point everyone goes to watch it is a few mins walk away.

- In terms of location, Santorini is tricky. We decided to be in Oia which is considered a little more upscale and quieter with good restaurants and sunset views vs. Fira which is considered to have more of a party vibe. Regardless of where you are, you will take buses (which are not that frequent so be prepared to wait) or cabs (which can be hard to find) to get around if you don't rent a car. Within Oia, this villa is extremely well located - it is literally a few stairs up to the main pedestrian street in Oia, close to restaurants, the sunset view point, shops, corner stores and the bus stop.

- Rose, the owner of the place is a great guy full of stories to tell regarding the villas history (which includes being a bakery) and his own colourful adventures.

Would stay here again without a doubt!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends