“Great hotel but........”

Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Oia
Sydney Australia
“Great hotel but........”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I recently stayed here on the last leg of a 3 week holiday in France and Greece . This hotel had been recommended to me by a number of friends and so it was with much anticipation that I arrived at this hotel. I stayed in a " senior suite " which was terrific.The room was spotlessly clean , a good size , extremely comfortable and the service was efficient and respectful. The views were unmatched and it was convenient having a separate entrance to the street via a set of stairs . There is no doubt that this is the part of the island to stay being the " sunset " part of the island. What was wrong with it ? The only fault I could find with the place , and there is nothing they , or any other hotel in their vicinity can do about it given the topography of the island , is that there are approximately 40 - 50 rooms and only room around the main pool for about about 15 couples. Whilst there are 2 other pools there was only on lounge possible for one very small pool and the 3rd pool was inside a " cave " and you had to lay on lounges nearby. when we arrived it was hot and despite paying some 750 euros a night , I was unable to get a lounge by the pool and had to lay on a lounge elsewhere and walk down several levels to the pool to have a swim.
I had to resort to getting up early and putting towels and books on loungchairs to " reserve" a lounge which I something I detest doing.
This would not stop me staying here again as it is a problem with all hotels in the area so it should not be viewed as a criticism of Katakies , but a comment and warning to travellers.
Santorrini is a place that you would go to once and put it in the " ticked the box" category. I was only there for 3 nights which was enough. The island is beautiful and the scenery everything you see on postcards , but if you want to swim in the ocean , I would go to other Islands such as Mykinos.

1 Thank McLee58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel was definitely one of the most beautiful places we have ever stayed. Room 14's view was unreal! The only complaint we have is that management was rather arrogant and non-accommodating/sympathetic. We had a situation where the lights turned on in the middle of the night in our room and there was nobody around at the front desk or on the entire property to help remedy the situation. Eventually we found someone to fix the circuit breaker. Then, at 6:30 am the cleaning crew started washing our balcony and windows, while we appreciated the cleanliness and up-keep of the property, just wished it wasn't intrusive on our sleep. We did bring this up with management (manager and assistant manager) and they weren't as apologetic as we would have thought given it is a leading hotel of the world and a five star property, they did compensate us with dinner, which was lovely, however we were just really looking for a basic, "I'm sorry." Other than this the property was magnificent, clean, delicious breakfast on the balcony, fantastic infinity pool and all workers were accommodating friendly and professional. I would highly recommend this hotel, just hope management can step it up a notch with their customer service to match their five star status.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is our second time at Katikies, and this time it was for our honeymoon!
Wow, what a spectacular place! The first time we were impressed. The second time blown away!

Why they get all kind of awards and why we will make this a yearly visit is simple:
- Service is top notch
- Setting, view, room, design - all minimal and incredible
- The food is amazing, although a bit too fancy at times. Greek food is good when it is village style. It would be great if they could include a whole grilled fish as part of the men. Nevertheless, the food is great.
- They have an iPOD preloaded with great music in every room - not a big deal as we always bring our iPod, but this little touch is simply the best!

- Every morning the staff would walk up the many stairs and serve us breakfast.
- One really does not need to leave...I could just sit on the patio and look at the stillness of the sea water for hours....and it doesn't get old, or star gazing at night while chatting with my husband and sipping on champagne...or going out to the local bar and having the best dance party...whatever you like, it's there!

Compliments to Management! You have done a great job Alexander!

See you next year!

1 Thank live4thebeach072
newport beach
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Beautiful setting and flawless service!
Just wish they had more simple traditional Greek dishes on their menu and more alcohol in their daiquiris.
Room view stunning with lots of privacy.
Some of the best service we have ever had in a hotel.
Pool areas each providing a different kind of experience. One had restaurant that allowed people watching and stunning view from infinity pool. One with cave pool and beautiful views and infinity pool. Last private infinity pool.
All restaurants small and intimate.

Room Tip: Request a room with patio privacy.
1 Thank NewportBeach1952
Midhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

The are so many good things to say about this hotel it is difficult to know where to start!

The hotel itself is just delightful with views to die for.. The rooms are all spacious and very comfortable (we had a superior suit which was excellent with a lofted bedroom).

The food is outstanding and if you have the Katikies Dinner experience (which I highly recommend), then it is some of the best food I have ever eaten anywhere in Europe and the chef deserves a Michelin star, in fact make that 2!!

All the staff are very friendly and always there just when you need them without being over bearing, in fact the general level of service is up there with some of the best hotels in the world. I highly recommend having breakfast on your personal terrace each day.

The pools (all three including the cave pool) are fantastic horizon pools that are incredibly private and wonderful.

The spa, the restaurants, the cave rooms, the views, the staff, the welcome, the service, even the great wifi! - I could go on but I will soon hit the word limit for reviews...

It's simple, stay at this hotel you won't regret it I promise! My wife and I will be returning and once you have stayed there you won't want to leave and like us will be working out when you can go back...

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Tim E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Exceptional hotel and unflappable service. Rarely an experience in an hotel is perfect, but this was the case for our stay in Katikies.
We were lucky enought to be in the honeymoon suite, but the real pleasure is the site itself, the attention to details and kindness and helpfullness of the staff.
A must do!

6 Thank Stefano G
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Well what can I say, I had high expectations coming from Australia and having traveled extensively many many times overseas. Not to play it up but I've stayed at the most beautiful 5 plus star hotels around the world and this one is worthy of high accolades.
Where to begin, the setting of this stunning hotel is breathtaking, arriving after a short drive from the airport with bags that your grateful you don't have to carry you are confronted with the classic Santorini setting involving many steep paths and stairs. After a warm greeting from the manager and staff the journey to your room will be the first indication as to your fitness level. Spare now a thought to the porters who with bags on shoulders bring your bags to your room.
We were fortunate to have room 2 at the pool level, wow what a room, large, bright and on one level built in the cave style nestled into the hill. A communal horizon edged pool only feet away. So begins our love affair with this hotel and it's ever attentive and adoring staff.
Without exception each one of them makes your stay more rewarding each day. They act like family and after 7 days leaving there was like leaving family. Queen of the pool was Katerina but honestly each member of staff were exemplary.
Other high points were the food, cocktails and if course the views.
I could go on about the things to do in Santorini but that's well documented elsewhere.
Big thanks to Martyn who made sure my pregnant wife never waited more than a few minutes for her requests to be met,
At times it was hard not to feel a little sorry for the staff, standing in the heat all day with sweat beading on there foreheads, but never a complaint.
Finally I can honestly say that should any visitor here write other than glowingly it may have more to do with them and not the establishment or it's staff

• Stayed August 2012
8 Thank Dryazabone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Andronis Luxury Suites
Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Perivolas
Perivolas
#20 of 55 in Oia

Been to Katikies Hotel? Share your experiences!