“Heaven on Earth”
Review of Katikies Hotel

Katikies Hotel
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Katikies is truly the most extraordinary destination our family has ever visited. We've traveled quite a bit throughout Europe and after this destination throughout Greece. No place compares to Katikies' exquisite accommodations or phenomenal service. The grounds are immaculate. Each room is its own beautiful villa with a breathtaking view of Santorini. The hotel's daily breakfast, a vast selection of goodies, was amazing and served at the room's patios or poolside. Oh, and speaking of the pool - just check out the photos below for a view. Alexander, general manager, and his staff are true examples in perfect hospitality. From arranging a private donkey caravan for 5 to helping redeem a lost iPhone, they became more like friends than staff. We absolutely can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank fcerchione
There are newer reviews for Katikies Hotel

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Loved everything about this stay - the most amazing room - we stayed at the honeymoon suite, the interior is spectacular. Gorgeous location, attentive service, everything we wanted from our first stay on the island and we sure needed it after being stuck in Athens for a day during the strikes. If we ever go back to Santorini again, we would definitely go back to Katikies. No faults at all. One of our favorite places of all time and definitely the most special memories.
Our favourite parts were the cocktails by the infinity pool, dinner at the restaurant during the sunset and breakfasts served to our room where we had the views over the beautiful caldera without having to get out of bed. Ohhh...and the hot tab just outside the front door.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jasmin M
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Me and my wife had stayed again in Katikies in 2010 so this was our second time. You know how the second time is more demanding than the first, and Katikies had raised the bar quite high in our first visit. Well, even in our wildest dreams, we could not have expected such an experience! We had booked a superior suite but upon our arrival they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite! Boy, what a treat! However the real winners were again the staff (Alexandros and Martin are the absolute best!!), the infinity pool, their gourmet restaurant but also the amazing spa at their nearby sister hotel! Overall, a truly unforgettable experience!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Nikos V
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is one of the most visually striking places I have stayed at - anywhere in the world. A great base from which to explore Oia. A great base from which to work (wifi actually functioned) or play. I had planned to spend just a few nights here but strikes in Greece forced me to linger longer. No complaints! Service is faultless. Setting is truly spectacular - at the edge of the caldera. The rooms are both minimalist and luxurious. Wonderful attention to detail and to the comfort of its guests. They even give you a local cell phone with the hotel number on speed dial in case you get lost in your rambles. That's a level of consideration I have not seen elsewhere. Katikies is a very, very special place.

Room Tip: Splurge on a suite - it's well worth it
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank shafi_saxena
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked this hotel as we loved the idea of the pool. When we arrived they said "We have upgraded you ". After letting them know this was unacceptable and we had read here that they do that, we got a very nice room.. But the shutter design meant the room never got very dark and their was an emergency light they could not turn off......

Other than that the hotel is fantastic, staff are friendly and very helpful. Breakfast is fantastic. The view is amazing. It's a shame they spoilt it for us with their upgrade behaviour.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jonnysh
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I don't think there is anything negative you could say about this paradise. It was the most relaxing and perfect place we have ever stayed at. It situated at the beginning of the walk way of shopping and restaurants. If you get the chance, get the hotel to arrange for renting a quad. Absolutely the best way to see the island and alot of fun. Thank you again Katikies for being a big part of my relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rugrat19
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We just got back from spending 8 wonderful nights at Katikies for our honeymoon. We did tons of research prior to booking, and obsessively read reviews of other comparable hotels in Oia (Perivolas, Ilkies, Canavas). Down to the day we left, we wondered, "Did we make the right decision?"

Well, I can now answer unequivocally: YES!

For all of you who are obsessive (read: sometimes crazy) review-readers like me, I'll try to address some of the things that I had questions about and couldn't find answers to prior to visiting Katikies. First, though, let me echo the raves of everyone else on here: this hotel IS magical, the service is the best I've ever seen anywhere, and it is well worth the money.

ROOMS:

We stayed in a Superior Suite, which is at the upper end of the price level. Before going, I waffled between the Senior and Superior suites, but ended up picking the latter because it was a like 300m larger and I was worried about space. I would probably make that decision again, if we could afford it, but I think the Senior Suites would be just fine. The rooms were larger than I expected.

We actually got to see/sleep in two rooms. Our first room was 39, near the very top of the resort. As we checked in, everyone boasted that it was one of their "favorite" rooms. This particular room was all on one level--no loft. The balcony was very large and very private, but--since it was at the very top--the view is a little obstructed. The room also had a bathtub with a hand-held shower which leaked very badly, hence our moving out the next morning. If possible, I would definitely request a room with a stand-alone shower. It makes bathing much more convenient. I should say, though, the manager, Alexander, was very responsive to our complaints about the bathroom, and he was quick to place us in another room ASAP.

When we got to our new room, 36, we thanked our lucky stars that the shower in our previous room was leaky. Room 36 (and 37--which is right next door and virtually identical) was leaps and bounds better than our first room. 36 had a loft layout and felt much more spacious. There was a shower and a bathtub, and there was also an office with a desk. The terrace was a bit smaller and less private, with the next terrace very close, but the view must have been the best in the whole place--gorgeous and unobstructed.

Yes--the rooms are all white, and I can see why some would call them "plain." However, they were immaculately clean and updated. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed we've slept in. The A/C worked well. Nothing to complain about at all. Besides, you're looking outside most of the time anyway.

My only frustration was that they don't provide irons or ironing boards. When we asked, the receptionist said they were a "fire hazard." The problem is, after traveling for 15+ hours, most of your clothes will need a bit of a press. We ended up paying their ironing fee and sent a few pieces out. Next time, we'll pack our own steamer.

POOLS:

Another wonderful thing about room 36 was that it was right above the small infinity pool. As you've probably read, there are 3 pools at Katikies: the cave pool, the small infinity pool, and the larger, main infinity pool.

The cave pool is by the lounge, and it was empty every single time we look. Most people must prefer the sun. The larger pool is at the very bottom of the resort, and it is right next to the bar and the restaurant area.

We much preferred the smaller infinity pool. It only has 1 double-lounger so, if you can score it (which we did 3 days of our stay), you feel like you have the whole place to yourself. It's very private.

It could be difficult to get a lounger by either pool if you didn't claim it by 10 in the morning. Since we usually had our breakfast delivered (more on that later) at around 10:30, we usually ended up spending a couple of hours in an upstairs lounger, waiting for one by the pool. I will say that this was one of the few drawbacks of the hotel. I'm not sure how they could remedy it, really, but they always ran out of beds around the pool. The guests from Villa Katikies are allowed to use the amenities, and I think that may be part of the problem. But, when you're on a relaxing vacation, you don't want to have to set your alarm for early morning just to get a sun bed. It's worth mentioning that we were there during the busiest time of the season. So, this may have added to the problem. So, yes, we preferred the quieter and smaller pool, when the lounger was available.

FOOD:

One thing that really impressed us was the food at the hotel. Much of what we ate at Katikies was the best that we ate on the whole island. We're big foodies, and we don't usually expect much from hotel cuisine. However, from the breakfast to the lunch menu to the Katikies Experience--which we loved--we were continuously impressed by both the flavor and the presentation of the food. And, it's worth mentioning that the prices for food were reasonable.

SERVICE:

The service is, as many have said, what really seals the deal with Katikies. Honestly, meeting the kind staff was one of the highlights of our trip. Martin, Michael, Alex, Alexander and Ilias were there for our every need. We looked forward to laying by the pool or ordering food just so we could talk with them. Their kindness and attentiveness were completely genuine, and we were never made to feel like a burden. To be able to provide this kind of cheer in the midst of an economic crisis--and to people paying an absurd amount for a luxury stay, no less--is commendable. It is also worth mentioning that the twice-daily cleaning service was remarkably thorough.

STAIRS:

I read lots of "be warned about the stairs" disclaimers before going. Since I'm not the most fit person, I was worried. While you will definitely notice and sometimes hate the stairs, they are really nothing to be too concerned about. If I could traverse them without much trouble, you can too. :) That said, I would not want a room on the lower level.

Overall, staying at Katikies is what made our trip to Santorini so special. If we ever go back to the island, we'll stay there again in a heartbeat. If you're waffling like we were, just pull the trigger. I promise, you won't have any regrets.

Room Tip: We ended up in 2 different Superior Suites, switching due to a leaky shower. Without a doubt, the ro...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank emiliewasmyeve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Andronis Luxury Suites
Kirini Suites & Spa
Kirini Suites & Spa
#11 of 56 in Oia
Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Art Maisons Luxury Santorini Hotels Aspaki & Oia Castle
Atrina Canava 1894
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel

Been to Katikies Hotel? Share your experiences!