“Disappointed”
Review of Mnemossyne Gallery

Mnemossyne Gallery
Ranked #9 of 31 things to do in Oia
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique variety of fine art photography and jewelry, all astonishingly handmade by local artists. The gallery has a very harmonic atmosphere in an elegant cave house located only a few steps before the Castle and the famous sunset spot in Oia.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

After reading reviews, I made a special effort to find the gallery. I, too, was disappointed - not by the quality, but by the meager offerings. After reading the response to another disappointed visiter, I understand why - I was there close to mid-October. However, Oia was crowded with tourists that day with more than 1cruise ship in the harbor. I plan on returning to Oia next October. I don't know if I'll make the effort to find the shop again or not.

2  Thank coartist48

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Having read the reviews and the Mnemossyne being the number 1 attraction in Oia I had expected more, there were other galleries which I thought had a much better selection of interesting pieces.

3  Thank JaneC
Alexandra B, Co-Owner at Mnemossyne Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Jane,
First of all i would like to thank you for your visit and thank you also for taking time and writing us a review. Every single review is very much appreciated from Andrea and I. The positive ones, because they let us know that we are on the right path. The negative ones are even more special because they don't ever let us forget that we can always be better and improve.
Now we would like to apologize and say that we are very sorry for not meeting your expectations. The fact is, because we are almost on the end of the season we have exhibit less than half of the pieces we usually have during the season. We are not trying to excuse ourselves but just trying to give you an idea how we work. Because it is a seasonal business in one point we have to stop buying new pieces as well as printing new photographs and since we work with 10 artists and all our pieces are handmade we don't keep stock. We try to keep it as unique as we can.
So, once again, we are so sorry that you didn't have the chance to see the gallery on its full season mood and please next time that you come, pass by, introduce yourself and we'll tell you our story, the story of each artists and each piece exposed and also share some good time together.
Thank you and wishing you a great week! Alexandra and Andrea :))

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Awesome jewellery and art made from 35mm film. A great shop here in Santorini, well worth a visit.
Jonathan and Todd visiting Santorini from Sydney Australia

3  Thank jonathan1111
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was clearly the best "shop" that we saw or visited in Oia. I believe we met and got to know Alexandra - what a sweet heart.
The photographs here are very interesting and the jewelry beautiful. My wife found multiple pieces that she liked --- luckily she only bought one. HA.
This shop isn't the easiest to find since it is off the main pathway, down some stairs. When you find it, the location is nice because it IS off the main pathway.
Stop in to see the beautiful pieces they have for offer. Share with them your favorite travel spots because they love to travel and have a few months in the off season when they recharge their batteries, so to speak.

8  Thank LostWanderluster
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The gallery is at the end of a walk through one of the prettiest towns in Greece. The shock of the recession that is very present and palpable in Athens seems so far away when walking this incredible town packed with tourists shopping in streets full of stores that go from the mundane to the artistic. This gallery is full of gorgeous pictures and art worth the stop. Just the girls that attend it are worth the stop.

3  Thank Patricio B