“Good food, nice views”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2016 via mobile

My cousin and I enjoyed dinner here a few weeks ago after massages at Caldera Massage Studio. They were kind enough to squeeze us in before the mad sunset dinner rush. The food was really good. My cousin enjoyed the lamb. As a vegetarian I didn't have many options but enjoyed my Greek salad nonetheless.

The other reviewers are correct- the restaurant is located in a prime spot for watching the sunset and the crowds are unbelievable. We were fortunate to have another space reserved to watch the sunset. If you don't like crowds you may want to book somewhere else or request a table that is in the middle but near the edge where people cannot block your view.

All in all this was a lovely restaurant with delicious Greek cuisine and solid service.

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (897)

Reviewed July 10, 2016

Amazing views, great location, but, that was the end of it. The service was horrible. We were very disappointed.

1  Thank jeffreyl820
Reviewed July 9, 2016 via mobile

Kastro's restaurant was booked for us by the concierge at our hotel as a perfect spot to watch the sunset in Oia. Whilst the location is magnificent, the price of anything on the menu is expensive. I wouldn't have minded paying a little more to enjoy the view, but it is completely pointless as the best tables are next to a stairway and there are throngs of people constantly standing in front of you (and at times almost on top of you) to take pictures of the sunset. Although the manager tries to move people along it is a pointless battle! Rather find a nice spot for yourself and don't bother to pay the hefty prices!

2  Thank carolinebW94GE
Reviewed July 8, 2016

After having a sunset dinner at Pelekanos restaurant the night before we were very disappointed with the service at Kastro. The waiters didn't give us any attention and took very long to take our order. After we finished eating, we wanted to get dessert but that took forever as well.

For the views I would say definitely come to this side of Oia, however, expect a ton of tourist to be blocking your sunset view while sitting in the restaurant. I actually had to get up out of my seat and walk down the path to get a descent shot because there were too many people straight ahead of us. I am not sure how many other restaurants have this great view on this end, but I would definitely recommend to go somewhere close to here.

For food, we only ordered a salad and some squid (which was a bit chewy for our taste). Dessert we got a chocolate lava cake which was exceptionally delicious.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this restaurant, but I would recommend going nearby to get a picture of the sunset views.

2  Thank Gigi112211
Reviewed July 5, 2016

Our concierge booked a wonderful table to view the sunset, and it's nice to sit down and have a few cocktails while enjoying the view. This area is crawling with tourists, and the restaurant staff do a great job of keeping them out of the view. It's also nice to enjoy a few drinks while the crowds disappear as soon as the sun does set. Oh, and the food was absolutely delicious!!!

Date of visit: May 2016