“Consistently great”

Kastro Oia Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 93 Restaurants in Oia
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New York City
“Consistently great”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant on our first night in Oia and are so glad that we did. The food, waitstaff, and atmosphere were all great - so much so that we came back two more times during our 5 night stay in Oia - and were delighted each time. We ate at a half dozen other restaurants during our time here, some more expensive, but this one was the best. Another couple that we met at the restaurant said that they had the same experience.

Every dish was outstanding, and everything was fairly priced. The entire waitstaff was always very gracious and attentive. You could tell that they take great care and pride with everything that they do. We ate a Greek salad at every restaurant we tried, and the ones here were undoubtedly the best.

Even when we are not on vacation, we eat out quite often and are used to good restaurants (we're in NYC). This place is a gem.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank raybalconis

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Lancing, United Kingdom
“Dream View - Service Nightmare”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Review of the Sunset restaurant, Oia (ee-ah) Santorini, Greece

...a right place right time moment meant that we managed to secure what I'd call probably the second-best table in the house. That'll do very nicely thank you. We somehow got ahead of the heaving masses of tourists and perched ourselves on the top-tier of the aptly named Sunset restaurant, just adjacent to the north-east corner with THE view.

A good start then. Claiming a prime table in a nice restaurant to view the apparently legendary Oia sunset is no less than a major achievement in the oneupmanship stakes. I glanced at people sat at the other tables in our vicinity (tables three to five) and gave them my best ha-ha, look where we are and you're not, nerny-nerny custard look.

Disappointingly though, an English couple somewhat haughtily sat in THE best spot, right in THE corner, approximately 24" from us, with 'THEIR' view that was of 180 degrees (to our 179 degrees) and they seemed quite indifferent about the whole thing. The cheek of it!

The clue to their indifference was the pasta dinner that had literally just arrived at their table. As we sat and made ourselves comfortable for the evening showing from the universe' brightest star, the man slowly and somewhat dramatically removed a very long strand of hair from the epicentre of the mound of spaghetti on his plate. Somewhere in the distance a drum-roll ceased and the 'crash' of a cymbal pierced rough the air.

By way of a small miracle (you will understand this reference shortly) the waitress returned to the table and met his glare of disapproval. He asked her, "Could you (he meant 'would you') get me (he meant 'bring me') another one?"

She instinctively looked downward to his plate (for one could tell she had been down this long and rocky-road before) and he showed her the offending lengthy-strand. She was visibly embarrassed by the hair in the spaghetti. The mans partner was embarrassed by the hair in the spaghetti, perhaps because she had already begun to eat her own dinner with the vigour of a starving wild dog. Momentarily, It put me in mind of the creatures in Will Smith's 2007 movie, 'I am Legend', or perhaps my own son after he returns home in the morning for a bacon sandwich from what he describes as 'A bangin' night'.

I wasn't so much embarrassed by the 'hair incident', but as a baldy, I was more envious of this long and lustrous* hair that had formerly belonged to some hirsute and sweating Greek chef. 'Look at me, look at me, I have so much bloody hair, I can easily afford to let some waft into the nearest carbonara'.

*lustrous only because it was covered in an oily dip.

And so began our evening, just out of the corner of our eyes, we could see this girl eat as though her life depended on it (unlikely, since she was the size of a Ford Sierra) and then him, sat adjacent, without his dinner, looking lovingly at her meal, as opposed to her eyes, in the fast-approaching setting sun. The noisy sound of her scoffing reminded me of the scene in Jurassic Park where the velociraptors were helping themselves in the kitchen.

I previously referred to a small miracle. Forgive me if I quickly explain the science of kinematics. Crudely, it is the speed of an object and the magnitude of its velocity, I.e. the rate of change of its position.

The waitress and waiter at this establishment were so slow that they were frequently overtaken by local snails. The staff here have only two gears - dead-slow and reverse. I must assume that our waiter simply seemed to have spent much of his time somewhere other than this restaurant. We really, hardly saw him. When he did appear, people would whoop, holler and wave flags and applaud. Folk nearby without a view of the sunset itself would mistakenly think that the sun had set earlier than was predicted. I saw approaching throngs of people below us in the narrow lane leave the area dejected, for they thought they had missed the glorious setting of the sun.

We ordered drinks and they eventually came, we ordered a starter for two, and it finally came, but in between these times we witnessed the dawn of new eras, we lived through a new epoch, eons passed us and more approached. A new and mountainous island region had formed somewhere in Micronesia. This phenomenon had aroused Sir David Attenborough and he was already working on his 3rd series for the BBC.

Several billion species of insect had now become extinct because so many more millions of hectares of rain-forest had been felled. A formerly long-lost and ancient underwater city had been discovered under the Antarctic after the ice-caps had further receded and finally Liverpool had won a game of football (although there was an investigation into match-fixing since it was against lowly Adur Athletic, Worthing and District 1st division)

The meze-like starters for two. The waiter should have worn a striped mask for this was daylight robbery at €35. The Kings ransom asked for this tiny plate for two would not have been a problem but for the quality of the, um, 'food'.

Over-cooked prawns (just the two, lets not get excited now) Overly moist vine-leaves containing something brown just laying there. Pitta bread triangles so hard that I felt I might use them at home to help prop a wobbly garden table. Fried feta-cheese, so rubbery it would make a fine improvement to the suspension of my Citroen Xsara. I'll leave it there. No wait, the meatballs containing, um, well, they tasted like balls might taste.

The temptation to order a main course was akin to that of asking Europe, 'Hey, let's see if we can recreate the Bubonic plague'. We were charged €4 for bread we hadn't requested. The dip that came with the bread was very nice though.

The sunset was beautiful. The hundreds watching below, all of whom were approximately €45.50 richer than us was living-proof that my disgraceful smugness was a case of 'what goes around'...

Happily, I can report that the sun will set many a time to come, but fortuitously, the Sunset restaurant will not last that long.

Ber-dum tesch!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Dave C
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Best view and best food”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This restaurant was recommended at the other end of Santorini as the best. We had the taptas for apetizer, a pie of egg, eggplant, various spices. It was incredible, the best we'd had in Greece. I also ate the fried burgers which sounds strange but was incredibly spiced with mint and other things, with a delicious sauce. The dessert was walnut cake which was awesome. I'd recommend the place just for the food but all the while you are treated to what is known as the best sunset in the world. It was good. The price was just normal for US, which was very reasonable. This was the second best we'd tried in Greece.

• Visited October 2012
Bournemouth
“Simply Outstanding...”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My Husband and I got married in Santorini and for the last evening of our Honeymoon we were recomended to visit Oia and to eat at Castro. We both agreed that every meal eaten in Santorini was fantastic, however Castro was something else. My husband and I both agreed that this was the best meal that we had eaten for some time - not just in Santorini and the wine was perfect. It was truly exceptional matched only by the Sunset and pretty night time view. We were incredibly well looked after and it was a perfect end to a fabulous wedding and honeymoon. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone without hesitation, although booking in advance is a must.

Amy and Lee Dougan

• Visited October 2012
Queensland, Australia
“Perfect place to watch sunset”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Our meal was well priced and best we had whilst on santorini.
Great location. We took some photos from the top of the fort then walked across to the restaurant. The waiter kindly squeezed us in to a table at the front overlooking the sea.
It was full so suggest booking ahead.