“Like something out of a dream”
Review of Fotinos Houses

Fotinos Houses
Ranked #45 of 74 Specialty Lodging in Oia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked this house based on it's location - I wanted to be near the Summer Lovers house, which was my reason for coming to Santorini in the first place. I was not disappointed. It was perfect. The views were magnificent, the villa was beautiful, clean, and I had to keep reminding myself we were really there, that it wasn't just a dream. Because Santorini was exactly as I had pictured in my head, only more beautiful and more perfect.

Fotinos and Ioanna were absolutely lovely. We started our month-long vacation on Crete, and they were another reminder of how wonderful the Greek people were. They provided free transportation upon pickup at the port, and I was so excited when we arrived that I hugged the man holding our sign, thinking it was Fotinos, only it wasn't. He didn't seem to mind, though! Fotinos was waiting for us in the parking lot (near the Lioyerma Pool), and this being our first trip to Santorini, I didn't realize how far we'd be from the house and we had all way over-packed - a month in Greece, with two of those weeks on Santorini. Fotinos and my husband took 2 trips to haul our bags, so lesson learned for next time. My jaw dropped to the floor upon seeing the villa. I was literally blown away. Ioanna was there waiting for us with fresh chilled juice - and our son immediately fell in love with her. They could not have been better hosts - I am truly honored to have met them. Every day she would leave us treats - chocolate bread, almonds soaked in honey. And upon learning we had left our adapter back on Crete, Fotinos came back the next morning and drove my husband into Fira to buy one. On our last night there they gave us a tour of their favorite places on the island, and invited us back to their home for Greek coffee and tomato kefkedes. It was a truly special experience and we are kicking ourselves for not going to Greece sooner.

The location is perfect - while I thought we'd be fighting the stairs given my two recent back surgeries and a broken knee, I was in no pain at all, and everything was so beautiful that we didn't mind walking everywhere. In fact, we found it to be an absolute joy to do so. I can see how it could be difficult for the elderly, but the house is only half way down the hill, so not as far as many of them are. And the stairs do slope downwards a bit, which in the wrong shoes could be a real problem! You are also 5 minute walking distance to the Lioyerma Pool, which has an incredible view (but very windy as you are on the tip of the island), and if you buy drinks you can swim for free. We spent a lot of time there, and it seemed like most of the time my son had the whole pool to himself.

The neighbors were wonderful, as well as all of the tavernas and shops. Especially Melenio, where we had dessert every single night, and our son started getting free ice cream for flirting with the women who worked there. Be sure to check out the Summer Lovers gallery - the owners are absolutely fantastic, and invited us over to watch the sunset one night. They would welcome our son with open arms every morning. As did just about everyone in Greece. We can't wait to return.

You are right next to where everyone congregates to watch the sunset. We found the people watching the sunset more entertaining than the sunset itself (they all cheer, it's hilarious). They start getting there early, and it can be impossible to navigate the crowds, so if you're trying to make it back to the villa in time to watch the sunset, keep this in mind.

Fotinos and Ioanna, thank you so much for opening your beautiful villa to us, and helping to make a dream come true!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RedheadedGardenLady

Reviewed October 5, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Fotinos traditional cave house in Oia, Santorini for 2 weeks September,2012. Fotinos and his lovely wife Ioanna made us feel completely at home. This delightful traditional home is spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The location is ideal. Each evening people gather on the cliffs and viewpoints around you to watch the most amazing sunsets that we have ever seen. The views are breathtaking and you really do get a sense of being in a unique and exotic locale. There are lots of great restaurants and shopping close by. We got our exercise in by walking the donkey trail and doing all of the stairs that make this cliff dwelling so fabulous.
This was the experience of a lifetime and a a dream vacation filled with great memories. Fotinos and Ioanna are genuine, warm, great people!!! We left feeling that our lives were enriched and that we had made some fantastic new friends! They are just a delight. I would recommend this property to my friends and family and I hope that someday I will return to this lovely home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Fotinos's honeymoon house on our honeymoon in July, and we loved it! The small house feels like a cottage, and we really felt at home there. It's located in the heart of Oia, within just a couple minutes walk to lots of shopping and restaurants. The view of the caldera from the house is exceptional. The bathroom is large, there's a small kitchen, and the main room. The air conditioner works well, but it does not reach the bathroom and must be turned off when you leave the house, so it takes a little while to cool the place down when you get back to the room.There's assistance with your luggage, which we definitely needed because the walk to and from the house is very strenuous, up and down many steps. There is free transportation from the port to the house, but we had to pay for the transport from the house back to the port (although Fotinos did arrange this for us). The house was comfortable, with a patio and roof which we used to watch the sunset while having a picnic. There was an ant problem while we were there (although we didn't have any food out), and I ended up with a bunch of ants in my luggage. The house is cleaned every other day by Fotinos's wife. We rented a car, and there is a place to park it for free, but it's a strenuous 10 minute walk from the car parking to the house. I also must say that Fotinos is a little hard to get a hold of while there...for example, we needed more toilet paper and could not find him to ask for more. He also was not very friendly - not mean, just not too friendly. However, we had a great vacation and found this place to be romantic, authentic, and well priced. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Fotinos and his wife were so hospitable and have a beautiful cottage where you can enjoy the famous sunset and it is just minutes from the main walkway in Oia close to cafes and shops. The suite was immaculate and very comfortable with its own little kitchen and platform to view the sunset from.

Travel tip: There were fantastic restaurants around but we were recommended a few by the locals, particularly Roka which is hidden off the main walkway and Katina in Amoudi Bay for the freshest seafood. Be sure to ride a donkey up the steps too, they finish at approx 7 in the evening so don't miss out on the experience like we did!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed here for four nights in May, and were very pleased. The view is wonderful, and it's close enough to the main area of shops and restaurants to be convenient, but far enough away to be quiet. Fotinos and his wife are friendly and helpful. His recommendation for a taverna near Akrotiri gave us probably the best meal we've had in three areas of Greece, and was very reasonable. The only problem I had was banging my head on the low door lintels, but if you want to stay in an authentic Santorini cave house, that's part of the package!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed here with my two daughters. The view from the balcony is breathtaking. Fotinos and his wife are lovely people and showed us great hospitality. The apartment is spacious, quiet, clean, and comfortable. It was nice to have a small kitchen with refrigerator. It was also nice to have air conditioning, which we appreciated after spending all day in the hot sun. We would absolutely stay here again if we are fortunate enough to return to Oia.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We, group of 4, stayed in the cavehouse for couple of nights. It was a wonderful experience, the hotel was lovely, the service is excellent. Fotinos & Ioana really have a great service mind.
The location is outstanding and perfect for those who want to see famous sunset here in Oia. You could walk easily to any interesting and shopping destinations from this house. Would love to go back there once in again

Highly recommended to all :)

กลุ่มเรา4 คน, อยู่ใน cavehouse สองสามคืน มันเป็นประสบการณ์ที่ยอดเยี่ยม โรงแรมน่ารัก, บริการเป็นเลิศ Fotinos & Ioana จริงๆมีจิตใจบริการที่ดี
สถานที่ตั้งโดดเด่นและเหมาะสำหรับผู้ที่ต้องการดูพระอาทิตย์ตกดินที่นี่มีชื่อเสียงใน Oia คุณสามารถเดินได้อย่างง่ายดายไปยังสถานที่ท่องเที่ยวที่น่าสนใจและแหล่งช้อปปิ้งจากบ้านหลังนี้ รักที่จะกลับไปเที่ยวอีกครั้งหนึ่ง

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bigfattoni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Kirini Suites & Spa
#1 of 2 in Kanatadika
9Queens
9Queens
#1 of 59 in Edipsos

Been to Fotinos Houses? Share your experiences!