“Food, Service, Place...All Excellent!!!”

Candouni Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 94 Restaurants in Oia
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 14, 2012

First of all I would like to give a big ''Bravo'' and a lot of thanks to this exceptional family that runs this restaurant. Fotis (The chef), Efi (His wife) and Panos (Their son) are the best and the most friendly people.

I have eat many times there the last three years and I have tasted almost all the menu (except from the fish as I am not fun of it). Every meal has something special in appearance and taste. I have said that every time that I go there when my meal is almost finished i feel sad that it can not continue to be full. Fotis is specialist in cooking and making dishes, all are made by his heart which is very important.

The service is always warm and polite and always with a huge smile. Panos the waiter is very friendly and has very good usage of 4 languages. He is always helpful in everything and runs all the time to serve you and make you feel comfortable as being home.

The place doesn't have view but in my opinion who cares, in a restaurant all is about food and service which both are EXCELLENT!!! The place is an old captain's house being renovated with a front yard with tables and many candles on the walls making it more warm and romantic especially for couples but is also a great place for everyone.

I highly recommend it to everyone that is coming to Oia. Also the recommended dishes upon my likes are the Rizoto, Penne with chicken and vegetables and Pork saute with mushrooms and rice.

P.S. In this place Fotis and Panos succeeded to make me it for the first time in my life things that I had never tasted before (mushrooms, cauliflower, beetroots, even snails!!!)

1  Thank Tas G

Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was by far and away the best restaurant we visited in Santorini - usually I consider going back to the same restaurant as a little unimaginative, but I was more than happy to go back here. The beef was done perfectly, and the calamari for starter was the nicest that I've ever tasted.

The staff were very friendly and helpful - I'd advise everyone to go here. Yes, it's not the cheapest place in Santorini, but it's far from the most expensive, too. You can spend a lot more and have a much worse experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I went there the first night of my stay in santorini, and I couldnt resist to go again on my last day, despite a 4-day stay. My family and I loved the seafood risotto and the grilled shrimp. Salad is delicate and amazing. The fresh fish and pork with sweet and sour sauce are great as well. I wish I can go there again.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Thank you Panos and your family, one of our best meals and the atmosphere is very nice. Love the candles in the wall,seeing mom and dad through the kitchen window and the open roof to the beautiful flowers. After leaving after our first visit as I was too hot to sit through dinner (long pants o n and exceptionally hot night,my fault) we came back to Panos delight as promised and wow ...great service. The food choices are best chosen upon the season, ask for Panos advice...he did not steer us wrong. Thanks for a great night. Joe and Naysan

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We reserved a table on the day as we read all the great reviews on tripadviser. Great courtyard, many tables busy. Ordered the lamb and my partner ordered the dorrado fish. We were warned it would take 20 mins to cook, no problem as we had ordered beer and nibbles. Clearly the restaurant was understaffed as there were 2 staff looking after the restaurant. The chap who was looking after us took his time to serve our drinks and dips with bread. By the time our mains arrived, no one had taken away our starter plates but most disappointingly our mains were at best warm and most of the vegetables were tepid cold. The lamb shank was mostly bone and my partners fish arrived lukewarm. Another table complained to the waiter that their main to share had arrived ten minutes ago without plates and he was angry that they forget about serving them plates. The food was'nt cheap and they clearly need more staff and pay more attention to detail before we return again.