“Mixed review...Roof top a must”
Review of 1800

Ranked #49 of 95 Restaurants in Oia
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Hoboken, NJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mixed review...Roof top a must”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My wife and I have mixed feelings about 1800. I was impressed with the quality of the food although portions are quite small. My wife found the service to be not up to par considering all the hype. We asked for our bill three times. Also I don't recommend sitting outside downstairs. it is quite warm being that it is between buildings. Plus the constant stream of people walking by made us feel as though we were on display. Definitely not a good place to eat during our honeymoon. I'm sure the roof top is much nicer so I would recommend being clear when you make your reservation that you want to sit there because we were told (rudely I might add) that we could not move our table.

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bryn Mawr, PA
“If You Have Only One Night, Go Here”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Of all the restaurants in Oia, this is the best. The rooftop seating area is beautiful but breezy -- bring a wrap! The menu is creative, using foams and unusual flavor combinations, and everything is delicious. They make excellent cocktails here too. It's a bit pricey but absolutely worth it.

Malibu, California
“Top chef style”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We throughly enjoyed our 1800 experience. Luxury meets upscale meets top chef. I had the taste menu while my wife had the fish menu...A funky soup from fruit, molecular greek salad, main dishes that were so tasty and desserts that was potentially the best anywhere.

While the prices are expensive and the portions small, this as much a dining experience as a meal. 1800 is able to give both: A meal and a dining experience.
Highly recommended! We were told reservations are necessary, but many table were empty as the sun was setting. Excellent views of the sunset is an added bonus.

(We'd recommend this experience before or after dining at Santorini Mou...It allows for a ying and yang dining experience. Taverna and top chef style. )

1 Thank SanMo
Chicago, Illinois
“Be Prepared”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

To be honest, I tend to over-scrutinize when it comes to decisions on where to eat, what to do etc... while on vacation. But based on reviews and even recommendations from the hotel staff, our party of four (husband,myself and 18 and 19 year old girls) decided to eat at 1800 while in Oia. And while we knew it would be expensive, we were unprepared for the VERY tiny portions that are served. We are not voracious eaters and have dined all over the world, plus we definitely don't mind handing over a large amount of euros when we leave the table satisfied. The presentations were beautiful, the establishment is lovely.....just be prepared and not too hungry!

1 Thank TamsTours
Red Bank, NJ
“have to be honest....”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Okay. So this is probably going to come off as somewhat blasphemous. But this restaurant tried to be more than it was, and fell somewhere between average and trying-to-hard-to-be more than that.

First the positives: The service was prompt and attentive. Definitely have wine service down to a "T" considering the lack of comparable wine service in the area.

Wine list was also nice; though would have preferred a better vintage selection for the local Santorini wines and instead settled on a reliable Alpha Estate 2005 Xinomavro.

Started with the offering from the chef described to us as "pineapple soup with basil". Nothing new here, and to be honest, it seemed like "juice" disguised as soup and to be fair, not the nicest presentation either.

Starters we ordered were the octopus with chickpeas and feta along with red pepper ice cream. Sounded interesting but didn't work in execution. Flavors were pushed, and to be honest, octopus was not super tender as I would expect from this establishment.

Other starter was "molecular greek salad" which was an array of foams and gels designed to deconstruct a greek salad but was not only impossible to eat, but also, not really the proper demonstration of molecular gastronomy. Didn't execute.

Entree 1 was the lamb. Lamb was overcooked (well done) - speculate all you may, this is not how the standard cooking temp should be in this type of place. It was served with my highlight of night: a peach and goat cheese tart that saved the entree for the time being.

My wife had the sea bass which was cooked nicely, but lacked the slightest bit of , well, anything. A little olive oil, a splash of lemon juice, anything would have been nice, as the vegetable accompaniments tasted like they were out of a baby food can. Cooking a fish is nice, but with the fancy description and the reasonably high price, had to expect more.

Nothing was a disaster but overall, considering the hype, nothing stuck out as better than average, and if I don't order dessert, you know there is an issue.