“Be Prepared”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Be Prepared”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

To be honest, I tend to over-scrutinize when it comes to decisions on where to eat, what to do etc... while on vacation. But based on reviews and even recommendations from the hotel staff, our party of four (husband,myself and 18 and 19 year old girls) decided to eat at 1800 while in Oia. And while we knew it would be expensive, we were unprepared for the VERY tiny portions that are served. We are not voracious eaters and have dined all over the world, plus we definitely don't mind handing over a large amount of euros when we leave the table satisfied. The presentations were beautiful, the establishment is lovely.....just be prepared and not too hungry!

1 Thank TamsTours

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Red Bank, NJ
“have to be honest....”
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Okay. So this is probably going to come off as somewhat blasphemous. But this restaurant tried to be more than it was, and fell somewhere between average and trying-to-hard-to-be more than that.

First the positives: The service was prompt and attentive. Definitely have wine service down to a "T" considering the lack of comparable wine service in the area.

Wine list was also nice; though would have preferred a better vintage selection for the local Santorini wines and instead settled on a reliable Alpha Estate 2005 Xinomavro.

Started with the offering from the chef described to us as "pineapple soup with basil". Nothing new here, and to be honest, it seemed like "juice" disguised as soup and to be fair, not the nicest presentation either.

Starters we ordered were the octopus with chickpeas and feta along with red pepper ice cream. Sounded interesting but didn't work in execution. Flavors were pushed, and to be honest, octopus was not super tender as I would expect from this establishment.

Other starter was "molecular greek salad" which was an array of foams and gels designed to deconstruct a greek salad but was not only impossible to eat, but also, not really the proper demonstration of molecular gastronomy. Didn't execute.

Entree 1 was the lamb. Lamb was overcooked (well done) - speculate all you may, this is not how the standard cooking temp should be in this type of place. It was served with my highlight of night: a peach and goat cheese tart that saved the entree for the time being.

My wife had the sea bass which was cooked nicely, but lacked the slightest bit of , well, anything. A little olive oil, a splash of lemon juice, anything would have been nice, as the vegetable accompaniments tasted like they were out of a baby food can. Cooking a fish is nice, but with the fancy description and the reasonably high price, had to expect more.

Nothing was a disaster but overall, considering the hype, nothing stuck out as better than average, and if I don't order dessert, you know there is an issue.

Vinhedo
“Small portions but big prices”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

The food was good but not my style. I like to eat when the food is good but if I would really eat there I would spend 200 euros each.

Drammen, Norway
“Amazing! An absolute MUST while in Oia!”
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We made reservations at the 1800 Restaurant for my birthday dinner and I am so glad we did! The service, from the moment we stepped in the door, was fantastic. All the staff was attentive and friendly, but not in your face. They were there when we needed them (without having to be flagged down) but melted away to the background otherwise, so we could enjoy our privacy. Regarding the food, we had been warned by reviews ahead of time that the portions would be small, and they certainly weren't huge, but I found they were the exact perfect size for me. And taste could NOT be beaten!!! Absolutely delicious. Every morsel was perfect! The view was also spectacular, both as the sun went down and after dark. The atmosphere was just right. It was romantic, and even though there were quite a few other tables around us, it was intimate. If you are going to be in the area, I strongly recommend making a reservation in order to secure the best table. And yes, you can expect a steeper price than the taverns or small restaurants around, but it was absolutely worth it!

Philadelphia
“Very good, but very expensive”
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We went to 1800 for our extravangant night out in Oia. The food and service were exceptional, but it was very expensive--bordering on overpriced. Every dish we had really was great, but we had great meals in Oia that were 1/4 of the price.